Who's the Best Villain?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Re: Who's the Best Villain?

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Shylock and Don Jon were two great villains for their ability to put a real damper on a comedic plot... :wink:
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Eve-Olsen2005
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve-olsen2005.html

Post by Eve-Olsen2005 »

Mr. Piebald is a pretty deviant lobo in this novel that I am re-reading at the moment. He used to have the psi-ability to detonate things at will: He could literally make the atoms burst apart on a nuclei level!! But that was before he was lobotomized of course. You see, he was a criminal and forced into becoming a "lobo", rendering him impotent in his psi-ability. A lobotomy did not however take away his desire to find a way to reverse the lobo process and gain his psi back! A venture he won't hesitate torturing other psi-mutants in succeeding at.
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

Umbridge definitely! I disliked Voldemort but I wanted that woman dead. Hmm for best villain, I would say Dr. Lector from silence of the lambs since he was so enigmatic, and interesting.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Piebald... Yet another new addition to the discussion! What is the book series called, Eve-Olsen2005?

Mickaila: Hannibal is definitely fascinating in many ways... Well, except for the part of him that craves to eat people... :| :lol:

Umbridge is one of the most maddening villains I've encountered. She sucks the life out of EVERYTHING!!!
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
rjhaug
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjhaug.html
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz

Post by rjhaug »

I thought the best villain was Professor Snape. Everyone thinks he hates Harry and that he is just mean. If you have read the series it keeps you guessing who's side is he really on. He was a complete double, double agent. If you follow the movies you will miss the subtle change when he meets his end and you find out he truly loved Lilly and was protecting her son. It kept me guessing and that makes a great villain in my opinion. But when you give a touch of human softness in the end that blows it away. Was he evil or what?
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz
Embracing_Madness
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-embracing-madness.html

Post by Embracing_Madness »

Recently, I read the Foresight, the first book Deen Ferrell's Cryptic Spaces. I can genuinely say that its villain is one of the more memorable antagonists I've seen in a long while. For all that he only really appears for a few pages in the book, his presence was genuinely frightening. I was utterly creeped out at his grotesque powers. I definitely recommend that book for anyone who likes really suspenseful adventure and technology so advanced it seems like magic.
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Sounds exciting!

I'm thinking... Wednesday Addams... Aint she cute? :wink:

-Edgar Allan Poe
Maddy_Knapp01
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddy-knapp01.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Maddy_Knapp01 »

Voldemort from Harry Potter!
treeleafangel403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treeleafangel403.html

Post by treeleafangel403 »

Enders game...peter. he is amazing as terrible all in one. its a beautiful combination.
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Anybody here who's read "Shatter Me" has come into contact with a great villain. :wink: Warner was truly sinister and... well... fascinating... :| What?

-Edgar Allan Poe
yesbazaar

Post by yesbazaar »

The first great feature film — the one that synthesized the cinematic language and was the top-grossing movie for decades, until another Civil War drama, Gone With the Wind, surpassed it — is also in parts a vilely racist enterprise. D.W. Griffith painted his Negroes and mulattos (literally, since most of the actors were whites in blackface) as stupid, brutal, lecherous and duplicitous. The film portrays blacks as savages who lusted after white women, were enfranchised through voter fraud and turned the state legislatures into pig sties. The only recourse for honorable white men was to form the Ku Klux Klan! Lynch is a mulatto in cahoots with an abolitionist; it is he who orders a crackdown on the Klan and gets what Griffith sees as a villain’s just deserts. That this landmark film should be so rich in black dastards is a shame that still haunts the screen.
Alison97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison97.html

Post by Alison97 »

I don't know if she counts as a "villain" per se, but I really liked Anita Proteus from Vonnegut's Player Piano. Even though she's manipulative, adulterous, etc. she was also really vulnerable, and her morally gray antics had, in the long run, as negative effect on her as they did on everyone else. She wasn't really a bad person, just the product of a bad society, and, above all, I wished she could've been happy at the end (though she isn't :( )
Joey0214

Post by Joey0214 »

The best villain is the one who is never revealed it allows your mind to truly be haunted by your thoughts of what the villain is, as was the case in Bird Box
hpsecrets99
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Jurassic Park
Currently Reading: The Spectacular Now
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hpsecrets99.html
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by hpsecrets99 »

Some of my favorites include Dorothy from Dorothy Must Die, Leck from the Graceling series, and Umbridge from the Harry Potter series. Dorothy and Umbridge are similar in my mind, because they are both "bubbles and rainbows" villians. They ACT perfectly sweet and kind, but they are both so twisted and evil, which makes for a very interesting read.
Latest Review: "Suppliant" by Laura Tree
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

rjhaug wrote:I thought the best villain was Professor Snape. Everyone thinks he hates Harry and that he is just mean. If you have read the series it keeps you guessing who's side is he really on. He was a complete double, double agent. If you follow the movies you will miss the subtle change when he meets his end and you find out he truly loved Lilly and was protecting her son. It kept me guessing and that makes a great villain in my opinion. But when you give a touch of human softness in the end that blows it away. Was he evil or what?
I completely agree. Severus Snape is definitely one of the best villains out there. I'd also go for Loki (no, not the Marvel version). He's a cunning and selfish double-crossing traitor. And great fun to read about. He is kind of like Snape in a way - you never quite know where he stands and what he'll do next or if he means what he says...
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”