Who's the Best Villain?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rich_B_UK
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rich-b-uk.html

Re: Who's the Best Villain?

Post by Rich_B_UK »

I would probably have to say Nurse Annie Wilkes from Misery by Stephen King. Not a typical King villain (not supernatural or demonic) but a truly horrifying human being.
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I should definitely say the same! :shock: Kathy Bates did an awesome job with her portrayal of her. :D
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
sflaherty42
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sflaherty42.html
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson

Post by sflaherty42 »

Gollum is a great villain because you end up feeling a lot of pity for him. He is also pretty terrifying at the same time.
Latest Review: "Your Career in a Fish Bowl" by Michael L Wilson
Apogea
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apogea.html

Post by Apogea »

Personally I think the best villian is Voldemort!
Reyes183
Currently Reading: You're Next
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyes183.html

Post by Reyes183 »

Who is the best villain ?
I would have to say that my favorite villain is kyle Craig.He is an FBI agent in the Alex Cross series by James Patterson but he is also a diabolical psychopath that kidnaps,rapes and tortures women in very sick ways.Kyle Craig is definitely on top of my list.
Bookworm42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm42.html

Post by Bookworm42 »

Moriarty always has been and always will be my villain. He was intriguing because he was exactly like Sherlock. There really wasn't much to set them apart except that Dr. Watson had saved Mr. Holmes from that lifestyle, in a way. When I sat down and thought about, I realized that I loved Moriarty as dearly (if not more) than Holmes and that simple fact has been enough to leave me horrified, confused, and ready to read more.

I do agree though, that Umbridge is the Queen of the baddies. I don't even want to talk about her. *shivers*

In the running for King of the baddies, my second place would be Basta from Inkheart. However, my vote might not count because I'm pretty sure I had a crush on him for several years after reading the book. I have a bad habit of falling in love with the "Most-fun" villains.
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Moriarty was amazing. I have the same problem you do, Bookworm42... I tend to gravitate toward the villain's corner when I'm reading or watching something... I'm one of those who was in it for the Queen when I read Snow White... and saw all the movies... Hey, the last one starred Charlize Theron... My fascination, therefore, has foundation... :D
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
EarlByrd

Post by EarlByrd »

Although he might lack the universal appeal of some of the others, Bob Barnes, Tom Berenger's role in Platoon, exceeds the level of violence any of them is willing to commit to their particular brand of villainy. I've read the accounts of "my favorite villain" and "why he is so scary". Ooooo I'm ascared. Barnes hates humanity. Today, it's g**ks
wearing black pajamas. Tomorrow, it's the ni**as in his own platoon, who don't want
to fight "whiteys" war. Too bad. If I catch you alone, I'll put two behind your ear and leave you there. Barnes is not a gentleman. And if you assume he feels constrained
because he's an SSG wearing the uniform of an American infantryman, he'll bury you too. "Rah", one of the draftees under Barnes' command, says it best: "Barnes has been shot seven times. And he ain't dead. The only thing that can kill Barnes is Barnes." Murder might be an option considered by other villains. But it's not nearly as accessible to them as it is to Barnes. Barnes has no idea how many g**ks he's wasted.
That's for reporters and politicians to argue about. This is why I joined the US Army.
I been here 4 tours in a row. Ya'll know a lot about killin'? Well. I'd like to hear about it,
potheads."
Paulina Gomez
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulina-gomez.html

Post by Paulina Gomez »

The best villain for me would be someone who I can understand or relate to. A villain like that would make me realize that I am not the person I think I am, because the greatest villain is someone that can convince anyone of anything. Fictional character villains causing readers to have a life crisis. That's what villainy can do.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I agree that it's Moriarty. It's seems to me that villain is often associated with mere cruelty. I think the psychological villain is more captivating.
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

How about those villains who throughout a story are as bad as they get and, then, by one means or another, are changed at heart by just the right kindness or person? I kinda like those, too. :wink:

-Edgar Allan Poe
EarlByrd

Post by EarlByrd »

Nathrad Sheare wrote:How about those villains who throughout a story are as bad as they get and, then, by one means or another, are changed at heart by just the right kindness or person? I kinda like those, too. :wink:
You've described them. Who are they? I can't think of any. Once you've thrown down, that's it. You can't go back. In The Departed, Jack Nicholson's character describes the
difference between himself (an entrepreneur) and the competition(in this instance,
"he black chappies ," who're trying to integrate Southie, which has been Irish since the BostonTea Party). "I don't respond to events. I create them. This is something they'll never understand."{
I haven't read all the posts to this thread, so maybe I'm not up to speed. Does criminal activity disqualify somone from consideration as a villain? I fetched a cat out of a tree once. But I also made a resin replica of Carl Jung and put it in my wife's bird's birdcage.
So he'd feel guilty about not having resolved his Oedipal complex before he left home.
I'm not going to apologize to Ralph. EVER. So is my villainy waxing or waning??
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Ha, ha, ha! Your villainy, EarlByrd, is savory, my friend! :wink:

I've found the sort of villains I now speak of aren't uncommon. The title character of the new film, "Maleficent," is one. Magneto of the "X-Men" series is another. Need I mention the man who has held the kingly position (However disappointing may be the fact to me :wink: ) of Most Famous Villain of Cinematic History since the seventies, Darth Vader? :D :D

-Edgar Allan Poe
DlVERGENT
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlvergent.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by DlVERGENT »

sahmoun2778 wrote:I agree that it's Moriarty. It's seems to me that villain is often associated with mere cruelty. I think the psychological villain is more captivating.
I second that, he's definitely one of the best (worst?) villains.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Wolfwhovian
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: The Sight
Currently Reading: Eragon
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Wolfwhovian »

Wolfbane from the book The Sight by David Clement-Davies. He comes in near the end of the book and is supposed to be the wolves version of Lucifer. He feeds on the blood of wolf cubs.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”