What book have you read so much it fell apart?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Re: What book have you read so much it fell apart?

Post by Syntheticaudio »

For me it's Dune, 1984 and Year of the Unicorn. I had to replace them all eventually. It's ok when hat the front cover starts coming off but I often take books in my bag so when they really start to go it's impossible to travel with them. Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets is in its way out too.
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I have used one of my Bibles so much that I had to retape the cover on with electrical tape.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

The Percy Jackson series. I've re-read the series four times now because of the new Heroes of Olympus books coming out.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Oh, I forgot that I wore out my original Kindle from too much use.
sheka369
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Currently Reading: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheka369.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by sheka369 »

OH MAN. When I was twelve years old I had this book titled Bites by an author I cannot recall today, but it was a collection of scary stories that kept me up all night... AND I LOVED IT. I read it even in the tub, and I once dropped it in my bubble bath. I blow dried the pages but they turned yellow and were so crinkled you could skip multiple lines while reading without even noticing. The laminated cover had completely peeled off, and the binding had divorced it's pages. It's ironic because now I go nuts whenever I accidentally leave a fingerprint or snag a page on one of my cherished books.
DalekPrideParade
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalekprideparade.html

Post by DalekPrideParade »

'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton. I had to tape the pages back in as I read, but each time I stuck one page down, another five would fall out.
freelancer101
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freelancer101.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by freelancer101 »

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. The part of the novel about the Tri-wizard Tournament is most enthralling. I have read this book countless times and the pages ultimately gave in!
darkhuntress
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkhuntress.html

Post by darkhuntress »

There are only two books I've read so much that they have fell apart were Harry Potter and The Philosopher Stone by J.K Rowling and Born of Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
"Fear in a name, only increases fear in the thing itself"
Miss_Jane2014
Currently Reading: Better Off Dead by H.P Mallory
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-jane2014.html

Post by Miss_Jane2014 »

My copy of The Stand by Stephen King ended up in about 4 pieces when the spine finally gave out. I must have read that book like 15 times when I was in high school and I wasn't prone to using a bookmark at that point. I cringe thinking about all the damage I did to the spines of my books in those days because I would just leave them open and set them face down.
AbigailDawn
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigaildawn.html

Post by AbigailDawn »

I have read the Harry Potter series so much that a few of the spines are damaged. I think this may also be the fact that I take those books everywhere with me while I'm reading them. I don't put them down when I'm at home. You will always find me walking around the house with them. I am very good at knowing my surroundings so that I can maneuver around without tripping over anything. I have found very few other books in my life that have had this effect on me.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

The Story Of Philosophy, by Will Durant.

There is a somewhat interesting story involving how I came to own this book. I was a high school student at the time and I was walking in a business district not far from our home when it began to rain very hard. I ducked into a paperback bookstore just to get out of the rain but wanted to appear to be a customer so I picked up the first book I saw that happened to have a colorful book cover which had caught my eye. It was the book mentioned above. I opened the book at random and started to read. Philosophy was a subject I knew next to nothing about and I expected the book to be very dry and uninteresting, but to my amazement it was very readable and quite interesting. I found out later that Durant had written this book precisely for the everyday person and not for scholars. I was still reading when the rain stopped and wound up buying the book. It has had a tremendous influence upon the direction of my reading interests and I've read it so many times that it has become necessary to patch it with glue and tape. Though I now own another paperback version as well as hardbound I keep that original book in an honored place on my bookshelf.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
ellemichele
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellemichele.html

Post by ellemichele »

I'm not sure why, because it's not even my favorite in the series, but my Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban has completely fallen apart. It split in half and some of the pages started peeling out. I should get a new one, but it's just so hard to give up.
WillowReads

Post by WillowReads »

Half of my Harry Potter series collection. It seems I'm not alone in that. Pretty soon I get to start reading them to my kids. I'm sure I'm going to need another boxed set...or two.
victoria_palacios
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-palacios.html

Post by victoria_palacios »

The Notebook. I can read and re-read that book over and over again
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

My childhood book was a little unknown book called Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech. I loved it so much and I really felt like I could relate to the girl character in it and I read it time and time and time again. I found it really soothing, like a cup of tea-- I'm still not entirely sure why.

As I grew up I'd have to say probably Wuthering Heights. I love it so much so I just keep reading it!
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”