Do you listen to music while you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Re: Do you listen to music while you read?

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

No, I need somewhat silence when I read. Unless the book is REALLY good, then I can just naturally tune everything out since I'm so into the story.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Someone recently convinced me to start listening to classical music during reading. Her reasoning was that classical music increases concentration. I was skeptical at first, but I tried it and I have noticed a difference. Not only am I more focused, but I'm also a lot more relaxed afterward. I will definitely keep this up!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
MiloGoethel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milogoethel.html

Post by MiloGoethel »

No, I can never listen to music while I read. It is very distracting, and I will quickly lose focus in the book. I like complete silence while I'm reading a book. Maybe I'm just a bad multitasker.
savannahlynch
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannahlynch.html

Post by savannahlynch »

Usually I don't. But if I'm on a train, or traveling in some way, and it's too loud to concentrate, I'll turn on some classical music. Usually I can tune out and minor noise, though.
trabernathy29
Currently Reading: Cherry Lane
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trabernathy29.html
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by trabernathy29 »

I listen to everything. I can't read in complete silence. I think it may be from my days in the Navy...there was always some sort of noise going on or alarm sounding. Even during sleep I have my television on. My mind goes in too many different directions when there is silence.
Latest Review: "The Wind in the Trees" by Christine Heffelfinger
IsobelJ
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isobelj.html

Post by IsobelJ »

I always listen to movie scores. I prefer Hans Zimmer, but I'll go for just about anything.
lilulock3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilulock3.html

Post by lilulock3 »

If I'm reading the Classics (I frequently re-read Pride and Prejudice) I tend to put on an Album by the Philharmonic Orchestra
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Huh? I can't hear you.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
katwood25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katwood25.html

Post by katwood25 »

I prefer not to but I can if needed be. I usually drown out noise when I am reading
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

No i don`t
abcmama89
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 31">Shades of Twilight</a>
Currently Reading: The Children's Crusade
Bookshelf Size: 147

Post by abcmama89 »

I like to sometimes, other times it distracts me. Guess it depends on the book really
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

Ya, mostly Jazz music.
Kas21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kas21.html

Post by Kas21 »

I sometimes will turn on music when I read, I turn it down low, but I like the background noise. I don't like for things to be extremely quiet.
Heather3girls

Post by Heather3girls »

oh wow my children do. I've never knew anyone who could or had to do this. I was just having this conversation with my daughter's they both have learning disabilities in reading and adhd. I have the same but i put my ear plugs in to tone out the back round noise so i can pay attention. I couldn't read a book when i was younger but as i got older i realized I needed to find the right kind of books I was interested in and ever since i haven't stopped reading i love it. I also noticed the more i read the better i understood and the better i got. I guess we all have ways of reading..
kristnt_
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristnt.html

Post by kristnt_ »

I rarely read without listening to music. I feel like sometimes as we go on with our daily lives and we plug in our headphones, our music adapts to our mood. For example, while happy we may play something to make us dance in public and while sad we may listen to something so that we can deeply analyze the lyrics and how much it suddenly fits our experience and life situation. So to, I feel like the characters in my book need to have a designated background music to their journey throughout the pages they live their lives. The best part is that whenever I finish a series and I replay the designed song(s) that belong to that characters journey, I can envision every part of their life and struggle in that song.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”