EBook or Hardcopy?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
okbutfirstbooks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okbutfirstbooks.html

Re: EBook or Hardcopy?

Post by okbutfirstbooks »

Hardcopies because I like having a physical books in my hand. I don't like having a electronic device in my hand all the time. Even though EBooks are cheaper I love seeing all the books on my shelf when I'm done reading.
sschro12
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by sschro12 »

I personally hate eBooks. For me, I'd rather have the actual book in front of me. It's so much easier to read IMO.

-- 04 Feb 2015, 20:32 --
perphila
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by perphila »

I like both. I like ebooks for making me be more selective with what I purchase in hardcopy. I like to think of ebooks as an extension of a library. I can sample for free or low cost books and decide if they are worthy enough for my collections. I can spend more on filling out a collection of hardcopy because I have utilized ebooks. I like anything that can increase the amount I read with ease. I live in a place where I can not get to a big library and there are no bookstores to just browse. I could order online of course but I like that tactile experience of touch, and smell you get by going to a used book store. In any event what I dislike about ebooks isn't so much my own personally reading experience but that if I find something I am excited about I can't just let a friend borrow it. I know ebooks can be traded but then there is the hassle of it all when just handing it over is so much easier. Pros and cons either way I suppose. My book shelf is a lot cleaner now that I use both. I had literally hundreds of books. No joke. So for me keeping the shelves clean with certain collections, sentimental one and ones saved for my kids to use for school and the like I am thrilled.
rebeccamcivor0202
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccamcivor0202.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by rebeccamcivor0202 »

Personally I prefer to read ebooks just for the sheer fact that I could buy two or more for the same price as a hardback. Just love me a wee bargain!! Although sometime I do find myself going back and having a wee nostalgic read of a hardback novel just to remind myself of the old days :)
Ashy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashy.html

Post by Ashy »

I'm old (and old school) but I'm desperately trying to down-size my life, so e-books are slowly replacing traditional books in my personal library. (SIGH)...gotta do what ya gotta do, though.
Catbook

Post by Catbook »

I rather do Ebook it's more convenient ... its more mobile! ... but then again hardcopy is more intimate more natural
jhcarabeo

Post by jhcarabeo »

Hardcopy is still the best, the feeling you get when you touch the paper and the scent (especially when it's an old one)
Though, in these times, ebook comes more handy.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I enjoy both equally when it comes to checking out books from the library. For instance, I have 6 hard copies of books checked out right now, and 5 ebooks checked out on my computer. Both bring me extreme happiness. But when it comes to owning books I only buy actual hard copies of the books. And I get a bit upset when a novella gets published but only as an ebook because I want to add it to my collection of books on my shelves but I can't. When I buy a book I want to be able to look at it and touch it and see it on my shelves with the rest of the series and all my other books. I don't want to just see a picture of it on a screen.
Cole_K33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cole-k33.html

Post by Cole_K33 »

I probably enjoy ebook more, just because if you want to mark up a book, and highlight lines in the book, you can do that on an ebook. But with a hardcopy, if you want to remember or mark specific spots in that book, you would have to put post its in the bokk, which you could lose. Also, having an ebook is harder to loose, since its on your device. If you loose a hardcopy, you may never find it, along with your notes.
Parisqueen13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-parisqueen13.html

Post by Parisqueen13 »

100% Hardcopy. I will read e-books but I still want to hold the actual book.
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

An eBook is more environmentally friendly and more practical. Sometimes I just do not have the time to go down to the book store and buy a new book. Also, when I'm going on vacation, my Kindle doesn't weigh down my luggage. However, I also like hard copies because I can see the progress I'm making throughout the book.
lucy_borland
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-borland.html

Post by lucy_borland »

Hardcopy all the way. I don't like how technology is taking over the little wonders of the world. Books should never go extinct. If I didn't have the opportunity to grab a book but could download it on a phone, then yes, of course I would. But there will never be anything that can take away the feeling of turning a page.
C S Harper

Post by C S Harper »

There is definitely a place for both in my life. When I am commuting, traveling etc, I prefer Ebooks. I take my kindle with me everywhere and it has all of my books on it. I don't have to concern myself with keeping up with a physical book (s). Technology is here to stay, we may as well jump on board. I do however, love the physical book for my library. I love the way they look on the shelves. Nothing will ever replace that. At this point in my life, I don't think I could do without either one. Both versions have their on unique purpose.
deelea_16
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by deelea_16 »

I have tried to read books from a tablet and on the computer but it is just not the same as having the weight of a book in your hand and turning the pages yourself. I would have to say that Hard copy is the way I prefer to read. :)
wayne

Post by wayne »

I am a bit old fashion and prefer hard copy, but I also realize times are changing and this is the 21st century. To be perfectly honest, I had to get used to a word processor, but now I don't believe I could write a book on a standard typewriter anymore :roll: . I suppose I will adapt to E copy and enjoy the convenience it can afford also. Sometimes change is good. :lol:

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”