EBook or Hardcopy?

Use this forum to talk about ebooks and ebook readers. Whether you have an ebook reader, are considering getting one or never plan on getting one and want to talk about why you think traditional books are better, use this forum for anything to do with ebooks or ereaders.
Adrijana
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: EBook or Hardcopy?

Post by Adrijana »

I try to read E-book once, but I don't like it. I really like to hold the book in my hands while reading, and smell the pages. That is how I feel the book.
karagane
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karagane.html

Post by karagane »

I really like hardcopy, I like the feeling when you turn the last page and complete the book.
LookingForBritt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lookingforbritt.html

Post by LookingForBritt »

In my God's honest opinion I absolutely HATE e-books. I would much rather have the physical book in my hand, besides, what fun would it be sniffing a table to try and smell that new book smell? It wouldn't be fun at all. You can't feel the pages rippling in your hands, or feel the cover of the book, you also can't enjoy the feeling of being able to hug the book to your chest, and tuck it to sleep. I was kidding about tucking a book to sleep, but you catch my drift.
milyjohnson37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milyjohnson37.html

Post by milyjohnson37 »

I like both. Ebooks are more convenient, but I still enjoy reading hardcopies.
shifa_burhan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shifa-burhan.html

Post by shifa_burhan »

Even though I am an IT student, I find any excuse I can to avoid reading ebooks. I love reading hard copies. It's better for the eyes as well.
NanahoChan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanahochan.html

Post by NanahoChan »

HARDCOPY all the way! I admit though I've been reading quite a lot of eBooks lately, but only because I couldn't find the books I wanted in the library. Also I was too impatient and lazy to get off my butt and go to the library in the first place. Oh lord if paperbacks and hardcovers become relics, I fear it would be a sign that the apocalypse is starting. .-.

-- 04 Jul 2014, 22:18 --
LookingForBritt wrote:...and tuck it to sleep.
I did that once...
stoops96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoops96.html

Post by stoops96 »

I never really thought I'd like an ebook, but once I got my first Kindle, I was hooked. The ability to carry hundreds of books on something smaller and lighter than an actual book, Wow! That's wonderful. I like the e-ink because I think it's a lot better for the eyes than something with a back light, like the device I am currently staring at. I also have a nook, but don't really use it for reading. :)
Ithaca19

Post by Ithaca19 »

I like having the real book in my hands, but with as many books as I read, its smarter to get them on my ereader. Mainly because I never get rid of my books. I mostly stopped by hard copy when I realized I had over a thousand paperback books already. Easier to tote my ereader around than search through all those books when I want one in particular.
raindropwriter
Favorite Author: Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Book: Twenties Girl
Currently Reading: Strugling for Justice
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raindropwriter.html
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
fav_author_id: 2960

Post by raindropwriter »

If I could afford my own library I would never look at ebooks. :P
Latest Review: "A Happy Accident" by Evan Tyler
alyssaemerson
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssaemerson.html

Post by alyssaemerson »

I love the physical books. I do have a lot of ebooks that I have gotten for free. They come in handy when I am out and unexpectedly have time to read a book. Plus, how can you beat a free book?
abijane115
Currently Reading: Combative
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by abijane115 »

For me eBooks are more convenient. I can sync my books from my iPad to my iPhone so I never leave the house without my books. It's also easier to read at night, no flashlight needed :lol:
There is beauty to be found in every moment.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

I prefer hard copies, myself. I like being able to hold a book. I like writing in the margins, folding pages, having a relationship with the book (haha that sounds weird but I think you know what I mean!). I like throwing it in my purse, reading it on the train, in bed, whenever I have some spare time, and not having to worry about leaving a 100$+ item somewhere if I happen to forget it.

I grew up without a TV or a computer (I'm not even 30 yet but my family wasn't too big on technology until I was 12 or so), and paper books were my best friend. I developed a closeness with them that an ebook can just never really replace.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
DalekPrideParade
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalekprideparade.html

Post by DalekPrideParade »

Hardcopy all the way. I can't stand EBooks.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I thought it didn't matter, and for the longest time, I couldn't handle my new ebook because I liked the feel of paper in my hands. But now I have gotten used to my Kindle, and I found the recent paper book I read to be nothing mmuch a kind of hassle. 8)
caity_cat_23
Currently Reading: Timebound
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caity-cat-23.html
Latest Review: "ABC Poems" by Helena Gershenzon and Galina Likhovetsky

Post by caity_cat_23 »

Personally I prefer a good old fashioned paperback. I think it allows you to connect more with what you're reading and really allow you to delve deep into the story. An ebook will never smell like a real book. You can't fold the pages down and it can't catch your tears. Many of my books have "scars" of memories. You can tell my favorite books because they have dog-eared pages and little crinkled spots from drops of water and are basically falling apart. However, ebooks are much more convenient and less expensive and as you said libraries are not as common as they once were. So while I will always prefer a "real" book, I'm kind of forced to suck it up and welcome the digital age.
Latest Review: "ABC Poems" by Helena Gershenzon and Galina Likhovetsky

Return to “E-Books and E-Readers”