Were any of your books ever stolen?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Were any of your books ever stolen?

Post by obiebookworm »

I've never personally experienced this, but I remember someone complaining about one of their Harry Potter books suddenly gone missing. The same with the Twilight series.
Obiebookworm
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I've never had this experience, but my mom said she had really nice bible someone stole. Of all the books to steal lol.

I also have a vindictive friend who's ex had left her favorite book at his house. She bugs him about it off and on, and it just makes him contemplate things to do with it: put permanent marker through every other page, donate it to goodwill and tell her to go find it, take off the cover and put it on a different book to return; yeah, he's not bitter at all. He's even moved across state with the stupid thing. So, I guess he kind of has stolen it.
obiebookworm
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by obiebookworm »

ALRyder wrote:I've never had this experience, but my mom said she had really nice bible someone stole. Of all the books to steal lol.

I also have a vindictive friend who's ex had left her favorite book at his house. She bugs him about it off and on, and it just makes him contemplate things to do with it: put permanent marker through every other page, donate it to goodwill and tell her to go find it, take off the cover and put it on a different book to return; yeah, he's not bitter at all. He's even moved across state with the stupid thing. So, I guess he kind of has stolen it.
Oh
my
gosh!
That's incredible!
Obiebookworm
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

ALRyder wrote:I've never had this experience, but my mom said she had really nice bible someone stole. Of all the books to steal lol.

Surely nothing like "love to hatred turned" :shock:

I guess if someone borrows a book and doesn't return it that constitutes stealing as in depriving the owner permanently of an item. Hang 'em high I say! :twisted:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
castor
Favorite Author: G.G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Reading Device: B002R5UYXY

Post by castor »

Fran wrote:I guess if someone borrows a book and doesn't return it that constitutes stealing as in depriving the owner permanently of an item. Hang 'em high I say! :twisted:
then yes they have stolen my books. and i know who did it, but i 've lost contact.
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
[RR]
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rr.html

Post by [RR] »

A bible? Whoever stole it, if it's trying to get into religious life, then started with the wrong foot... That, or the bible was one of those small ones and the person mistook it with a wallet...

As for me, I never had any of my books stolen. If that happened, I would google the cover, print it and post it everywhere together with the word "WANTED".
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I have never experienced someone stealing a book(s), I have had someone borrow a book and then not want to return it but after 2 months of.me saying times up wheres my book, I got it back.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I never have to my good fortune.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
butool

Post by butool »

I had a kid in my colony who took away 2 of my books. I was 10 then . But, the angst is still the same.
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html

Post by ALRyder »

Fran wrote: Surely nothing like "love to hatred turned" :shock:

I guess if someone borrows a book and doesn't return it that constitutes stealing as in depriving the owner permanently of an item. Hang 'em high I say! :twisted:
What I find funny is that he says SHE'S the crazy one. Lol.

I too have had people borrow books and never return them though. So frustrating. That's why I've learned if I really enjoy a book to suggest it, but keep a hold of my own.
[RR]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rr.html

Post by [RR] »

A bible? Whoever was, if trying to get into religious life, started with the wring foot... That or the bible was one of the very small ones, and that person mistook it with a wallet.

As for me, I never had any of my books stolen. If that happened, I would google the cover, print it and post it everywhere together with the word "WANTED" written in caps lock, with bold red letters.
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

Thank goodness that I haven't had any books stolen. I think I would feel violated!
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
lkcz4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lkcz4.html

Post by lkcz4 »

Whenever I had the book, A Child Called It in my classroom it always disappeared. I used to keep extra ones in my desk drawer so when one walked away, I could replace it. It was a sneaky way to get high school students to read!
obiebookworm
Currently Reading: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!

Post by obiebookworm »

sybil1reader wrote:Thank goodness that I haven't had any books stolen. I think I would feel violated!
I agree! I'd feel the same way.
Obiebookworm
JessiFox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessifox.html

Post by JessiFox »

I have actually. My first copy of Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I was so angry about that; I know who took it, and I would have been happy to lend it to her if she had only asked instead.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”