More or Less Social?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: More or Less Social?

Post by rssllue »

It really depends on the person, but overall I would lean towards readers in general being less social. However, they are WORLDS more social than texters! :shock: :roll: :lol:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I personally am the more reserved, quiet type, but I've met avid readers who were very outgoing. I don't think that it makes much of a difference.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Syntheticaudio
Favorite Author: Scarlett Thomas
Favorite Book: The Holy Machine - The End Of Mr Y
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Z
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syntheticaudio.html
fav_author_id: 26639

Post by Syntheticaudio »

I think there's quite a variety in the answers here but I agree with most people who say it depends on the person.

But if I think about myself : I have always been shy (and I might stretch to say troubled) which had led to me having trouble connecting to people from the get go. But I didn't help myself through school because I literally always had my nose in a book at every opportunity thus completely shutting every other person out. At the time I had no interest in making friends of any sort but as an adult I do feel that I may have missed important aspects to growing up including how to deal with people and the world around me which has led to me being an adult with no friends and not much likelihood of ever making any.

Really, I am happy to consider books my friends because I do feel best when I am on my own, especially with a good story I can feel is my own. But I dk get lonely and do realise its my own fault.
I want to stand as close to the edge as I can without going over.
Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.

|Kurt Vonnegut|
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Given that authors attempt to be authentic to the varying types of personalities prevalent in the world I think perhaps a reader, as opposed to someone who does not read, MIGHT be more attuned, consciously or otherwise, to making connections between real-life people and characters they have read in novels, but only after knowing them for some time. I also think that someone who reads is more inclined to be, at least in part, shaped in his worldview by the synthesis of all he has read. That having been said I don't think a reader will necessarily be prejudiced one way or the other when meeting someone new and identifying them in some particulars to characters they might in time remind them of from their reading. I think most people make first impressions based upon a variety of subliminal messages they impart through facial expressions and general body language as well as what they have to say and how they deliver their words. I, for one, have never been aware of making connections with literary characters when meeting someone for the first time.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”