Ever Fallen in Love with a Character?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gabby Blackwell
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby-blackwell.html

Re: Ever Fallen in Love with a Character?

Post by Gabby Blackwell »

Well, there are many meanings to the word "love." I could say I've fallen in love with characters in the sense that I started to grin when they came on the page. I could say I've loved characters in the sense I send time thinking about them and wondering what will happen to them beyond the pages. I could even say I developed something of an obsession for some.

But real love? Or, what I consider real love? I think it's impossible to have that with a fictional character. Love, in that sense, comes from shared experience with another human being. Someone could have all the loveable qualities in the world to you, but if you have never met them, never spoken with them, then you cannot love them. You may feel otherwise, but the better term for that would be infatuation.

That said, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to be attracted to certain traits, even if they're attached to fictional characters. So if characters embody certain traits you find attractive, then I guess that would count as a type of love. I stand by the idea that real love comes from interaction with another person, though.
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

No. Not "in love". I just think some characters are utterly adorable, but I can't say I have fallen "in love" with a character.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm sure I have, but it's happened so many times that I wouldn't be able to name everyone. I also "fall in love" with movie starts and cute people I see on the street. I have a huge crush on one of my coworkers, and I really almost cried when I found out he got married recently.
PS. I have a boyfriend. I'M A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING!
Archie1791
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archie1791.html

Post by Archie1791 »

Yeah, I completely fell for a character and its "Ted Moseby" from How I met your mother.
I am still truly, deeply and madly in love with Ted Moseby. He is like my dream guy.
I wish to get one like him. :)
Lenerd24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenerd24.html

Post by Lenerd24 »

Like every other female that read Twilight I loved Edward...then Jacob. However I "fell in love with" Augustus Mccrae from Lonesome Dove and still love him after all this time and other characters!
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Oh yeah, I've had tons of "book crushes," especially in high school. I don't really feel like sharing specifics, but I think that it's a pretty common occurrence. You get to know characters in books just as well as the "real" people you encounter every day (sometimes even more, because books often allow access to the characters' thoughts), so it's easy to develop feelings for them.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

ALynnPowers wrote:I'm sure I have, but it's happened so many times that I wouldn't be able to name everyone. I also "fall in love" with movie starts and cute people I see on the street. I have a huge crush on one of my coworkers, and I really almost cried when I found out he got married recently.
PS. I have a boyfriend. I'M A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING!
:shock:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

No, I haven't fallen in love with a character, but sometimes I get wistful, meaning that I wish guys were like that in real life.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
Varel Silvita

Post by Varel Silvita »

Definitely! Dimitri, from vampire academy, Jace,from mortal instruments,Edward(obviously) from twilight, Adrian from bloodlines,Rowen,from heir of fire......the list is endless.
Brenda1721

Post by Brenda1721 »

Yes I have, and it's not because of all the fame it has gotten recently.... I actually feel a little weird writing about it but anyways, I fell in love with Christian Grey because in my mind, he does not look like Jamie Dornan will portray him in the movie, he looks waaayyy and in a weird way Chrisitan Grey reminds me of a compilation of all the crushes I have ever had, real or not. :oops:
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

Absolutely. It doesn't help my obsession for falling in love with fictional characters when the movie franchise builds upon a character and adds an image. Right now, because of my attraction to Lee Pace, I can't but fall even more in love with Thranduil, the Elven King of Mirkwood Forest, from JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit. It might be shallow of me and of the movie creators but I acknowledge and accept this fact.

-- 30 Oct 2014, 17:00 --
Lenerd24 wrote:Like every other female that read Twilight I loved Edward...then Jacob. However I "fell in love with" Augustus Mccrae from Lonesome Dove and still love him after all this time and other characters!
I was always more of a Jasper fan myself :P
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I fell in love with Carson from Mia Sheridan's A Sign of Love series but not in the obsessive kind of way. I just grew to care more for him more than any other character I've ever cared for and I wanted him to find his happiness with Grace.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Anne of Avonlea when I was just a wee lad, especially after I saw the adaptation with Megan Follows who brought the character so vibrantly to life!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

It happens quite often. The most complicated 'love' was with Rhett Butler from 'Gone With the Wind' because I have read the book a couple of years ago but I am still in love with him :D other 'loves' tend to vanish after a couple of months.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

This sounds really lame, but my book crushed were Edward Cullen and Jacob Black from Twilight series. I was in middle school when I read the series. The first time I read it, I fantasizes about someone like Edward. The second, time it was Jacob. I know, lame.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”