Listen to music while reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
andriana_stajic
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andriana-stajic.html

Re: Listen to music while reading ?

Post by andriana_stajic »

I can never read and listen to music at the same time. To be honest I start to want to dance :shock: and be active if i listen to really catchy music. Books and music are something very similar, they both have a story to tell and if I hear two things at once I get extremely confused and distracted from the book especially. I can only listen to music while maybe doing homework if i really understand what I am learning.
freelancer101
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freelancer101.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by freelancer101 »

I usually don't listen to music while reading as it takes me away from the world I am trying to get into!
sofarnee

Post by sofarnee »

I quite like listening to movie soundtracks while reading, especially when reading fantasy books. That, or classical music is good. I agree that music with words can sometimes confuse/distract me from the story.
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

It depends on the book. If it's an easy, contemporary read I'll listen to music. With older books however, I find all my attention needs to go what I'm reading.
booklyn_00

Post by booklyn_00 »

I prefer silence to background noise, but if any were to be playing, piano music would be preferred.
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I occasionally play instrumental or vocal music for background noise while reading. Typically I read with no music on though.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

I want to be able to say that I can listen to music and read a book at the same time but I cannot. I love music so much that I always get so distracted and forget what I'm reading. I often have to read and reread a page more than once for me to understand what's going on. That's why I stick to plain old silence while I read. :D
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Post by knighthkm »

I have a hard time listening to music and reading at the same time. Its not too bad with instrumental but I cant read and listen to music that has lyrics.
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

It doesn't necessarily depend on the book itself, but how much I'm into it at that particular moment. If I'm really into it, I'll listen to music on Pandora or I Heart Radio. If I'm sort of into it, I'll listen to music on my phone because I know it really well. If I'm not really into the book, then I'll read in as much silence as possible.
malloryw09
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malloryw09.html

Post by malloryw09 »

I can only listen to music while I'm reading if the book doesn't have a super complicated plot or more complex and confusing writing style. I am currently reading The Martian by Andy Weir, and there are WAY too many math and science explanations for me to listen to music- I don't understand what I'm reading unless I'm 100% focused!
Naira

Post by Naira »

For me it's impossible to read something and do another activity at the same time. However, recently listening to Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" I've realized that it's the only song which doesn't disturb me while reading (but only when reading something easy to perceive).
abijane115
Currently Reading: Combative
Bookshelf Size: 133

Post by abijane115 »

I don't know why I can't read while the music is on?!?!?!
sarah_royea
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-royea.html

Post by sarah_royea »

I like to listen to movie soundtracks or classical music.
AlessaBiblioteca
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Currently Reading: Learn Japanese
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alessabiblioteca.html
Reading Device: B00GJ3MF9Q

Post by AlessaBiblioteca »

I don't think ive ever listened to music while reading. I think it would distract me too much. I either wanna be lost int he book or lost int he music. Now, I have stopped reading for a bit and listened to music that fit the mood and such of what I just read. But I think combining the two wouldn't work for me.
aaa123
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa123.html

Post by aaa123 »

I find it extremely hard to listen to pop music while reading but if it is quiet, relaxing music often classical then i do not mind.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”