What ending of a book do you prefer

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Anemone Rose
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anemone-rose.html

Re: What ending of a book do you prefer

Post by Anemone Rose »

I don't mind angst, I don't think every character should get 100% what they want because that's unrealistic but I prefer happy or open ended where the happiness is something they are on the way to get my especially if it has to do with a group of relationships at end you Kinda like did in Harry Potter I remember then at like 17 when end I have been reading it as grew up are all there ages and when everyone got who they did I was like really just like that I expected well... something more open ended or something
spablo_94
Currently Reading: Redeployment
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spablo-94.html

Post by spablo_94 »

I love happy ones. I am really affected if it's not. Like when I read eleanor and park by Rainbow Rowell. However, its still fine if there's a good reason why the book ends sadly. I'm fine if the ending is realistic.
fitzml
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: The Fountainhead
Currently Reading: The Stranger Beside me by Ann Rule
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitzml.html
Latest Review: "Maggie Magdalene" by James Byron Huggins
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by fitzml »

I prefer happy endings but only if they serve the story and create the most lasting impact. I remember reading Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin a couple of years ago. In it this young girl falls madly in love with this wealthy young, kind of ladies' man (Onegin) who doesn't reciprocate. In fact, he pushes her away. Her aunt and mother finally marry her off to some well-off guy so that the "scandal" of middle age (was it 30-something?) won't doom her to spinsterhood. Later, Onegin's a guest at a fancy ball given by her husband, and they meet again. By now she's grown into an intelligent, refined and stunning beauty and Onegin falls head over heels for her. She still has feelings for him but she's married and determined to honor her marriage vows... Kind of having the tables turned on him was much more dramatically satisfying than if she'd run to him with open arms.
Latest Review: "Maggie Magdalene" by James Byron Huggins
Amber the bookworm
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-the-bookworm.html

Post by Amber the bookworm »

Shellby85 wrote:Happy of course but if there is going to be a follow on book i like a bit of suspense at the end of the first so you are eager to read the next
I agree completely with you. :)
Richlearning
Favorite Author: Faye Kellerman
Favorite Book: A Time to Kill by John Grisham
Currently Reading: The Mapmaker's Children
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richlearning.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 6722

Post by Richlearning »

I, too, like surprises and happiness is nice. I also prefer some anticipation ... Leading to further adventures with the same characters. I often become so involved with characters I wonder how/what they are doing since I last interacted with them.
Beth Davids
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: The Day Christ Died
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beth-davids.html
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Beth Davids »

Amber the bookworm wrote:
Shellby85 wrote:Happy of course but if there is going to be a follow on book i like a bit of suspense at the end of the first so you are eager to read the next
I agree completely with you. :)
Me too! I like happy endings, but I also like realistic. If everything is super glamorous, and there aren't any trials and disappointments through the story, the happy ending can fall flat and seem really cheap.
Latest Review: "A Tale of the Legendary King and His Twin Princesses" by Genevieve Sarpong
MissJane
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missjane.html

Post by MissJane »

I like an ending that makes you think! Something happy is preferred, but sometimes sad is the only way a series can end.... :( like Allegiant; I cried like a baby! Reply if you did too!!
Imautumnirock
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imautumnirock.html

Post by Imautumnirock »

The unexpected! Nothing bored me more than a predictable plot line with a predictable ending. Throw something in there at the end to make my jaw drop and I'll never forget it!
Jamie fred84
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamie-fred84.html
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt

Post by Jamie fred84 »

Always happy!!! I guess because not everything in this worldly life is happy, so I expect my books and movies to end on a happy note. If it doesn't end happily, I consider it a waste of time!! And actually I recently read the end story of a trilogy that did not end as happy as I wanted....I hope the movie changes that!!!
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." Joseph Addison
Latest Review: "Shiver Cove, Part 1: Tamyra" by TJ Shortt
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Breaking Free by Lauraine Snelling had exactly the ending that I prefer: cheerful and inspiring. If you ever get a chance, please read this book. You will not regret it :)
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Gennykay
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gennykay.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Gennykay »

I wasn't a huge fan of the ending of the divergent series, but in certainly understand why she did it. Still, I much prefer HEA endings, sappy as they can be.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reviews4U
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviews4u.html

Post by Reviews4U »

I definitely like happier endings better. They make me enjoy the book plot more and makes me very happy to know nothing bad happened to the characters, expecially the ones that are my favorite.
cittin5
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cittin5.html

Post by cittin5 »

I love happy endings, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something sad, like The Fault In Our Stars. I loved the book, and even though the end made me cry, it was good.
Sarah Clay
Favorite Author: Charles Dickens
Currently Reading: Lost in the Wilderness
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-clay.html
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
fav_author_id: 2384

Post by Sarah Clay »

Melancholy circle endings. Every time I read a circular plot, it makes me feel giddy. It just feels so...complete in a way that other endings can't compete with.
Latest Review: "The Lob Mob" by Tell Tale
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

A happy ending for sure!! It's such a relief when a book ends the way you want; with the characters you love living happily ever after and the antagonists getting the punishment they deserve! :D Though a sad ending is good sometimes, for a change!
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”