Male or Female main character?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Male or Female main character?

Post by cogarae »

Mainly female but sometimes mal POV.
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

My main reading preference is hard-boiled detective, crime, or noir novels so the main character is usually male, even when the author is a woman. Although Max Allan Collins does have a female character named Ms. Tree that is a very unique take on the standard hard-boiled P.I. genre.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
j0123
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j0123.html

Post by j0123 »

'i think I prefer female characters, but that's probably because I usually read books written by female authors and female characters are just easier to connect to for the both of us.
Tgoody53015
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6356">The Girl On The Train</a>
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoody53015.html
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey

Post by Tgoody53015 »

I feel as though a lot of the books I have recently read are all female protagonists. Besides from the books that go back and forth between characters. Though it doesn't really effect the story for me with the main charterer being a male or female, I feel that I am able to relate and understand the females better. Being a female I am able to really understand the characters mind set, some experiences and female expectations.
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

sybil1reader wrote:Gender does not matter to me. What does matter is whether or not I identify with the main character and I need to be able to see and feel what they do. Man or woman, I just want the main character to handle their business!
Absolute Truth! :tiphat:
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

Either one works for me as long as the character is interesting enough and I can feel something from them, no matter what side of the spectrum that may be. Looking at my shelves I think I tend to pick up books with male main characters, but that isn't what decides me on a book.
missy_ansell
Currently Reading: Ferran's Map
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missy-ansell.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by missy_ansell »

I usually like to read from a females perspective. I think that since i'm female, i feel like i can relate easier, but I can still relate to male characters like Harry Potter, Characters from Lord of the Rings ect.
Juliana_Vale

Post by Juliana_Vale »

Male or female main character? To be honest I'm quite split between these two.
I love female main characters because they're a lot easier to relate, what with me being a female as well.
But on the other hand, male main characters are really interesting, they make me really curious, and they give a completely different perspectives .
agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by agreenwood »

This does not typically make a difference to me if the main character is male or female, but I do think I read more books where it is a female. I think that is just the genre of books I read. But it is interesting to see the opposite pov from that of the authors gender (a female writing a males pov and vice versa).
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

It doesn't really matter to me. Most books I end up reading have a female main character, but it doesn't bother me any if the main character is male.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I think it all comes down to likability and a good story line. I could care less whether the lead is female or male. Sometimes a character is an alien or paranormal creature that has no specific sex at all. I great book doesn't require a specific female or male lead.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I have absolutely no preference with regard to the gender of the main character. My interest lies in the quality of the story itself and the style/manner in which it is presented.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
maruyama
Currently Reading: Dragon Flight
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by maruyama »

Uhtred of Bebbanburg
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

For me, It doesn't matter if the main character is a male or female but I've definitely read a lot more books where the main character is a female even though I read books from all types of genres.
wckedly_
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wckedly.html

Post by wckedly_ »

Either way I'd still read the book as long as it has a compelling storyline and/or poetic lines. Although, currently, I'm losing faith with female narrators. Their voice nowadays seem so plain and generic it's nearly impossible to distinguish one from another. Maybe it's because it's all dystopian and their voice needs to be strong, badass and such and people tend to say she's one tough chick blablabla and often misconceive it as feminism. But not all female characters need to be badass in order to portray them as 'strong'.

Okay enough rant.

#supportfeminism

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”