How many books do you read at once?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
OliviaJewellMiles
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliviajewellmiles.html

Re: How many books do you read at once?

Post by OliviaJewellMiles »

I only like reading one at a time because I hate going back and forth between books. Would you only watch part of a movie then go to another movie.
Allerdale
Currently Reading: House of Leaves
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Allerdale »

OliviaJewellMiles wrote:I only like reading one at a time because I hate going back and forth between books. Would you only watch part of a movie then go to another movie.
I can see what you're trying to get at, but books take plenty more mental effort to dig into the world of the story. They require you to do more than watch and react. While you'd be confused switching between parts of different movies, books become their own little world. Different medium, different rules.

So yes, I would :mrgreen: It's not too hard to read multiple at the same time once you get used to it. Plenty of benefits, like better memory if you do.
Asian_Bookaholic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asian-bookaholic.html

Post by Asian_Bookaholic »

Hey, I generally finish one book before jumping into another. Like you said, I am too invested in the book I am reading to even think about another one until I finish it. Also it kinda feels like cheating on the book, to just abandon it for another one, while incomplete. :P
sarahmeeks
Currently Reading: Outside The Ropes
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarahmeeks »

I only read one book at a time, however I read a bunch of comics while reading that one book. I am a comic nerd if there ever was one!
Great_Novel_Review
Currently Reading: Stranger In A Strange Land
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-great-novel-review.html

Post by Great_Novel_Review »

I tend to start reading multiple books. I will pace the reading depending on interest and quality of the material. However, there are times when only one book catches my interest and I can put the other reading materials on hold.
Swimsim83

Post by Swimsim83 »

Prefer just one...but have read up to four between my graduate classes, teaching philosophy book, daily inspirations, and personal enjoyment.
Mona Pence
Currently Reading: Hard Place
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mona-pence.html

Post by Mona Pence »

I read two books at a time. I bring one book to read on my break and lunch at work. At home I read my kindle book. I love to read!
Pax

Post by Pax »

I usually have three books going at any one time. It's like changing a channel, read some great historical fiction, segue to some lovely fantasy or sci-fi, meander over to some adventure.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I usually read only one book at once, but sometimes I have one additional. The main book is usually fiction, while the additional is a specific non-fiction book about certain topic (like gardening etc.)
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I usually only read one book at a time unless I'm reading one for school and one for enjoyment. I've never understood how people can read multiple books at the same time. It seems like they aren't giving enough attention to each book. :P
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

I have my book for review and I normally have one on the side as a pleasure read. I can keep the two apart really well so I do it.
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Asian_Bookaholic wrote:Hey, I generally finish one book before jumping into another. Like you said, I am too invested in the book I am reading to even think about another one until I finish it. Also it kinda feels like cheating on the book, to just abandon it for another one, while incomplete. :P

I totally agree.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I read one book at a time. I tried once to read one fiction book and another non-fiction book at the same time so I won't get confused, but I got bored and returned to the one book at a time rule.
teb569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teb569.html

Post by teb569 »

As a writer and reviewer I am usually working on two books at a time. I have to divide my time between the book I am to post a review on and the novel I am currently working on. I enjoy reading and writing equally and it gives me a breather when I switch from one book to the other though it is a bit of a challenge as any multi-task performer knows.

Tenaya Jacob
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I like to only read one book at a time. It's not that I can't keep track of more than one, I just don't enjoy it as much. I usually read about one book every few days so I have time to read many books. I just don't understand the point of splitting myself between two books when I can read them separately in the same amount of time.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”