how many books do you own?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
claudibee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by claudibee »

the number varies as i borrow a lot from the library and buy secondhand for financial reasons. some i keep and some i take back to the charity shops that i bought them from as space is fairly limited here. there are some that i would never give away, though. ideally, i would like most rooms in my house to be lined with them (never mind the dust) but the rest of the family may not be quite so thrilled.
tarundurga

Post by tarundurga »

I have a stockpile of books... 2 full rooms, over flowing drawers and cupboards and my workstation... not forgetting a couple of trunks.

I've started a small practice of giving away some fiction to friends every couple of months... like a pick what you like garage sale, without any monitory transactions and just a promise to be kind to the books. :)
blueangel

Post by blueangel »

just around 100, i guess, i never really considered counting or listing them. just focusing on acquiring and reading them.
shokosugi

Post by shokosugi »

200+
skeletons

Post by skeletons »

Until I get my own classroom, I limit the amount of books I can actually own. I'm still a big fan of the local library.
yorottenme

Post by yorottenme »

Hmm... to have thousands and thousands of books is definitely my dream. :lol: :lol:
I think I have more than a hundred for the time being and still growing. I cannot be so sure since I have some here in my house and also back at my parents' house. With my growing collection, I am thinking of buying a new bookshelves. My sister always told me to finish reading all the books in my collection before buying a new one. But... this is something I love. At least when I get bored I have plenty of choices to choose from.. :D :D
ekobor

Post by ekobor »

Not as many as I wish I had. I've been listing books as well, and I'm up around 75, not including gaming books, instructional books, or my favourite kids(picture) books.

Which I guess isn't bad for a sixteen year old in this era.
flashgordon

Post by flashgordon »

I had around 47 moving boxes full until August. Then I moved and had to get rid of 23 boxes. It was a sad day, but I'm still not in a place where I can have a library.
development

Post by development »

I have, I would guess, around 500 books in my apartment. And that's not counting those in the basement in boxes. :o
xhytah

Post by xhytah »

Between 150-200
ceejay77

Post by ceejay77 »

about a hundred left I sold boxes of boks and gave some away i would not like to add up how much I paid for them I read each good book twice :D
Kuyler

Post by Kuyler »

at a guess i would say +/- 200. At least 30% i still need to get around to reading them, but it's like an addiction cannot and I miean I simply cannot go past a books store without wondering in. Which makes it really bad since I work only metres away from a shopping mall that has the greatest book stores in South Africa.
Tinde

Post by Tinde »

I have about 300 books at my home and about 700 at my parents place. Lot of them are childrens books. I hope one day I have money to by more books.

When ever I go to new place to visit I look at peoples bookshelves to figure out what they read. Does anyone else do that?
GWA

Post by GWA »

Not sure of the exact number; a couple hundred I suppose, the real problem I have is that even the great ones I wont read more than three times, and so I feel guilty for locking up all this great text when it should be out there for other people to enjoy. That's why I'm making a concerted effort to get out to the library and borrow more. My bookshelves might not look as impressive when people come over but at least I'm doing my bit to share and save the planet!

GWA
:D
orion70

Post by orion70 »

uncountable....ok well, i'm lazy.

They're EVERYWHERE !!!! There's books within an arm's length all over my house i'm sure.

There are boxes of them in my storage room and in the office closet.....they are in the basket next to the couch..and on the one on the stairs....stacks on various bedside tables...and the drawers in my bedroom's nightstand, is full. I am in the process of selling my house and had to hone down the nightstand stacks to three or four.

I wish i could get into the library thing. I am the forgetful sort who can't ever remember to take them back.

Do cookbooks count?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”