"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett

Post by Loveabull »

I'm still reading this, want to see the movie eventually. What a terrific book! In a nutshell with no spoilers...It's about a group of maids and the families they work for. It's the early 1960's, significant because it's just the dawn of civil rights, women's rights, Roe vs. Wade, the pill...this however is Mississippi...some of the characters are still living in the philosophy of " Segregation now and segregation always", others see the new era coming and are still bewildered. Much of the tension of the novel centers on keeping secrets from the more radical characters.

All I can think of is how we like to think fifty years later that the attitudes and racism are historical fiction. It's disturbing to recall living in small town PA a decade ago. There was a storeowner who was a biracial woman, a professor from the local university who was openly lesbian. Both for reasons they were two fearful to discuss moved out of town within a year of each other. The college still maintained a morality clause about such things.

Trucks with huge prints of mauled looking fetuses would park in the town square to make their statement about pro-life. GLBT books and even textbooks about women's rights were kept in the back darkened storage area of the town bookshop. The town police, even the supermarket manager and school principals all ruled with iron fists. The largest faction of the KKK is the Northern states was a town away...They probably banned this book coming over state lines.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
MeganebuKris22
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Maze Runner Series
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganebukris22.html
Latest Review: "Petty Offenses and Crimes of the Heart" by Mitchell Waldman

Post by MeganebuKris22 »

LOVE the movie! :D haven't gotten around to reading the book yet but it's on my "To-Read" list :D definitely recommend the movie though! It's amazing and very well done! :D
Latest Review: "Petty Offenses and Crimes of the Heart" by Mitchell Waldman
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Loveabull wrote:I'm still reading this, want to see the movie eventually. What a terrific book! In a nutshell with no spoilers...It's about a group of maids and the families they work for. It's the early 1960's, significant because it's just the dawn of civil rights, women's rights, Roe vs. Wade, the pill...this however is Mississippi...some of the characters are still living in the philosophy of " Segregation now and segregation always", others see the new era coming and are still bewildered. Much of the tension of the novel centers on keeping secrets from the more radical characters.

All I can think of is how we like to think fifty years later that the attitudes and racism are historical fiction. It's disturbing to recall living in small town PA a decade ago. There was a storeowner who was a biracial woman, a professor from the local university who was openly lesbian. Both for reasons they were two fearful to discuss moved out of town within a year of each other. The college still maintained a morality clause about such things.

Trucks with huge prints of mauled looking fetuses would park in the town square to make their statement about pro-life. GLBT books and even textbooks about women's rights were kept in the back darkened storage area of the town bookshop. The town police, even the supermarket manager and school principals all ruled with iron fists. The largest faction of the KKK is the Northern states was a town away...They probably banned this book coming over state lines.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All the above and yet in just a few decades our wonderful country voted for a Black president...

Read the book, loved it!...my daughter had put it on my Kindle as a surprise gift...haven't seen the movie yet...looking forward to it !
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Lauren_Bucci
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-bucci.html

Post by Lauren_Bucci »

Loved the book and the movie! I think everyone should get around to reading the book and watching the movie.
Aussie-reader

Post by Aussie-reader »

I've read the book and seen the movie - and read some interesting 'denial' posts in the media about how we were not really racist down here in the South by people living there.

I highly recommend both book and movie.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

Aussie-reader wrote:I've read the book and seen the movie - and read some interesting 'denial' posts in the media about how we were not really racist down here in the South by people living there.

I highly recommend both book and movie.
Probably the same folks who deny the Holocaust too... :evil:

Excellent book, I just finished it...amazingly well done for her first book!
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
InconstantMoon
Favorite Author: Meg Cabot
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inconstantmoon.html
fav_author_id: 2593

Post by InconstantMoon »

I bought this for a book club and then ended up not reading it. Not sure if I want to. I saw the movie and liked it.
Oregongirl08
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oregongirl08.html

Post by Oregongirl08 »

Oh, I love this book. I'm reading it again right now because I love it so much (well that AND my husband has forbidden me to bring anymore books home til I get rid of some). :lol:
monique_wllms
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monique-wllms.html

Post by monique_wllms »

i haven't had a chance to get to read this yet but if its anything thing like the movie its going to be great.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

the move was great and really did the book justice, which I was very happy to see.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
troy_green
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-troy-green.html

Post by troy_green »

LOVE "The Help!" on of my favorites! such a great movie too :D
hasee

Post by hasee »

I have read the book,but didn't get the chance to watch the movie yet. It was a wonderful book :)
sophiachic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiachic.html

Post by sophiachic »

The help movie is just brilliant. Need to read the book.
ajmiller99
Favorite Book: Gone with the Wind
Currently Reading: Safe Harbor
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajmiller99.html

Post by ajmiller99 »

The Help is one of my favorite books! I may just pick it up and read it again! I agree the movie did the book justice, which is not the norm when books are made into movies. I especially love the part about the pie!

I actually quote the main character once in a while to my kids, "You is kind, you is smart, you is impotant" :)
snehal_gajbhiye

Post by snehal_gajbhiye »

Author weaves the story around three extraordinary women. These women are mothers, daughters, caregivers and friends. They all have the determination to start a movement to push for racial equality and the way the other people view one another. It is a deeply moving novel filled with humor and hope. Main Protagonist sacrifices her friendship and important relationships to push for racial equality and does so by writing a novel on her nanny and other caretakers in Mississippi. The best thing about this book is that the author is able to merge the facts and fictions perfectly into a story full of humor, hope and emotions. In the genre of Chick-lit fiction I would give this book 5 out of five stars. :D

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”