Alternating Chapters

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Alternating Chapters

Post by gali »

Fran wrote:
DATo wrote:To save having to carry a book back and forth to work I kept one book at work to read and had another in progress at home. I tried this for awhile but didn't like it. Once I bite into a book I want to keep going. Alternating between books just doesn't seem to work for me. I can do it but I don't seem to get as much enjoyment from either book as I might have gotten if I had read and concentrated them individually.
Totally with you DATo - that's why I suffered sooooooooooo much for The Luminaries. You would need to be eating your spinach to carry that book to and from work! :lol:
lol that is why I will read it on my kindle. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

gali wrote:
Fran wrote:
DATo wrote:To save having to carry a book back and forth to work I kept one book at work to read and had another in progress at home. I tried this for awhile but didn't like it. Once I bite into a book I want to keep going. Alternating between books just doesn't seem to work for me. I can do it but I don't seem to get as much enjoyment from either book as I might have gotten if I had read and concentrated them individually.
Totally with you DATo - that's why I suffered sooooooooooo much for The Luminaries. You would need to be eating your spinach to carry that book to and from work! :lol:
lol that is why I will read it on my kindle. :wink:
@gali
You are a wise woman :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I do not believe I have tried that strategy. I do have time slots during the day when I try to read a specific book. I read for reviewing on the weekends generally because it is when I have the largest chunk of time. Reading for knowledge and updating data for work gets done throughout the day as I can squeeze it in. In the evenings I will read what I am trying to meet a deadline for whether it is self-imposed or a job requirement.
sschro12
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by sschro12 »

I feel like I could never get into the books if I tried that. I guess I'm not much of a multi-tasker.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I used to do that all the time! This was back in middle school; I was able to concentrate more then, I guess, so the book worlds didn't get confused in my head? I could never do that now. I still read more than one book at a time, I just can't alternate back and forth that quickly. Usually what happens is I find myself more into one book than another so I stick with that, then go back to the others I was reading.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I used to alternate books--for example, I might read a biography on Monday, a mystery novel on Tuesday, a 19th century novel on Wednesday, etc. etc.--yes, I read at least 5 books at a time. I didn't limit to a single chapter, though. Now I only do two or three at a time. ;-)
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

I don't cycle quite like that, but I do jump from book to book. I try to give at least a couple of the books I'm reading for the day some love but sometimes you get that amazing book you don't want to quit reading! I'm trying to get my list of things I'm reading down to 4 though. I have too many going at the same time and I feel too pressured to get them all done.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

There have been times I will read more than one book, but never with that system. I will usually read a paperback and an ebook. That way certain times are better for certain types of books.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

That is most definitely true. The eReader just doesn't seem like the way to go when you get the chance to read outside . It is difficult to adjust the screen to deal with the glare . For those situations a book works best.
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Kindle paperwhite has been good to me reading outside so far. But there are certain instances running errands that take awhile or just cwrtaij places having an ereader is better. It will never trump a good paperback though. My books have outgrown my house and I just keep buying. Lol
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I've never tried to read more than one book at one time. I like getting whole heartedly into one book. That being said, I'm in the process of doing my first book review. I started it even though I am reading a book. I'm finding I'm actually quite enjoying it. It's quite nice to pick up a book that I feel more like reading at the time and saving the other for later. FYI. The nook I am going to be reviewing is winning over the other lol
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Post by 1_2_5_am »

I do not read more than one book at a time. I'm afraid I would get too confused.
If I ever do I'll keep this method in mind. Maybe it'll work for me. :reading-3:
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

1_2_5_am wrote:I do not read more than one book at a time. I'm afraid I would get too confused.
If I ever do I'll keep this method in mind. Maybe it'll work for me. :reading-3:
Sometimes reading multiple books at once CAN be confusing, but for me, the important thing is to have several different books in progress so I can read the kind of book I'm in the mood for. It must be a personality thing, because I do something similar with my knitting. I usually have several projects that I can work on, and I usually include one I don't have to pay much attention to, as well as one that needs to have directions followed to the letter every row.
devenrdougherty
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devenrdougherty.html

Post by devenrdougherty »

The only time I've ever done anything close to this was when I read a novel and a graphic novel (comic) at the same time. They were different enough to where I wasn't getting them confused. The comic was a scarier one (The Walking Dead) so after the first nighmare I decided I'd read the novel at night and the comic during the day. But no, never could I keep to long novels straight in my head at the same time. I know what you mean about the books that drag though, unfortunately some books take me several months to get through.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I've read two books at the same time before, but not in this way. It sounds interesting, but I'm afraid that I would get the plots mixed up!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”