Would you Consider comics good reading material?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Re: Would you Consider comics good reading material?

Post by fabulasaule »

I enjoy comics and I think that they are undeservedly ignored by most people. There are many great comics for adults. Of course you cannot compare them with usual books as it is simply different sort of reading.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I think comics are fine for reading. I wouldn't want comics to be the only thing my children read.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Haygoodnichole
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haygoodnichole.html

Post by Haygoodnichole »

I personally don't think so, but that is my opinion based on my lack of interest in comics. :)
Joy V Smith
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Joy V Smith »

Yes. 'Course it depends on the comic, aka graphic novel. And I love some of the classic comic collections that are being reprinted: The Phantom, etc. The Cadillacs and Dinosaurs/Xenozoic Tales series (Kitchen Sink Press) was fun, as was Duncan and Mallory by Robert Asprin and Mel. White (Starblaze Graphics).
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

I think they can be fun to read especially if you're bored and just want to have a little light reading, the illustrations are definitely a bonus.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I don't like comics. I think I read maybe two Archie comics when I was little. I became bored very easily with them. I find a lot of younger kids tend to just look at the pictures and not really read the story. I think it's ok for something different every now and then. Ultimately I believe a normal book is better reading material. In my opinion it teaches some discipline also. Kids barely have an imagination now in days and can't keep themselves occupied with anything that's not for the purpose of being super fun or really stimulating. My little cousin also never wanted story time once he got into comics. I love reading with little kids and it really made me sad that he was missing out on that experience.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
wagthefox
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by wagthefox »

I read comic books way more now than I ever did as a kid. I say the medium is just as valid as conventional books. I would call them a great gateway drugs to reading.
Clifora
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clifora.html
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps

Post by Clifora »

I think reading comics could help out in expanding your imagination since there are illustrations and I guess it helps in writing conversations between characters. I do enjoy reading comics from time to time.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

— T.S. Eliot
Latest Review: "Before I Wake" by Seven Steps
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I think that comics are good reading material, because it's still reading. I think that it probably helps kids learn how to read better since there are pictures involved and that helps the child actually see the story line. That may even help them connect with books better and make them read more later on. I'm the opposite though I didn't like comics much when I was little but now I love them. :shifty:
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I think comics and manga can tell good lessons and stories too. There are definitely some critically acclaimed ones like Maus and Watchmen, etc that get good recognition for the stories they've told and their recognition.

I think others like One Piece are bestsellers and show what a large fanbase and audience there are for such works too.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
normindrasarawi
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-normindrasarawi.html
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Post by normindrasarawi »

Absolutely yes! I used to read comics and manga and I find them entertaining. Aside from its stunning pictures and great plot, it also teaches life lessons.
Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”