Do you have trouble retaining what you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kiara123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you have trouble retaining what you read?

Post by Kiara123 »

So I'm not the only one!

It sure is frustrating. Remembering what I read, amongst many other activities that I do, isn't easy anymore :(
Despite that, what I'm fortunate about is that I almost always remember the emotions of the book, how i felt and even the impact it had. I'm not sure if I can explain it properly, but that's how it is. I don't remember the book as such, but the emotions last.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

Yes, I had this problem of forgetting quickly, that's why I decided to start writing on books and highlighting and I also created a document on my laptop to write a summary of each book and the most important points in it.
bookworm_78
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bookworm_78 »

I only have troubles retaining what I've read when I'm having a difficult time maintaining interest in the book. I can usually figure this out by the first or second chapter. I don't have any good coping advice for this though, because I still don't know just how to cope with it. It's frustrating.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I can relate to this on so many levels. I was just having a discussion with a coworker about "Girl on the Train" which I read almost two years ago now. I really couldn't remember much about the novel, other than a few characteristics of the main character and a very vague idea of the ending. I find because I read so much, not many novels leave a profound mark. Unless a book really touched me in some way (made me think outside the box, come to new revelations about a topic, or fall in love with a character) it's really hard for me to remember much about them.
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

Yes I do have trouble retaining what I read and it's very frustrating. I should have a journal of book titles with a short essay of them to help me remember.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I don't tend to forget about them right away, but can forget parts of a book especially if the content didn't blow me away particularly after a year or so. It will come back to me if I hear it being discussed usually though. You should probably keep a reading list, where you can also make notes about what you read to jog your memory.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I have trouble retaining that sometimes I read books over and encounter some part that leaves me wondering if I even read them the first time
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Spontaneo
Favorite Book: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spontaneo.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Spontaneo »

I have trouble retaining scientific-type books, for example, fitness books by Dr. Cooper of the Cooper Institute.

If a book does not catch my attention from the beginning, I forget about it.

:)
You Only Grow Old If You Want To
vaz222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I have trouble remembering the books I read too. It's always possible to re-read it, especially if it was an enjoyable book.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

Eggroll wrote: 21 Dec 2013, 17:20 And how do you cope with it? I find that even a month after I read a book, I only remember the main points, and even those begin to fade. My memory is getting pretty bad, and I'm not even old. I assume this is just something most people have, but it sure is frustrating. I tend to forget a book completely about 6 months after I read it :oops:
How long I will retain the contents depends on the technicality of the book.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Matlhodi Nozwayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matlhodi-nozwayo.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Matlhodi Nozwayo »

It depends. If I am reading a textbook yes, I forget. Textbooks are meant to be studied anyway. But with any fun stories outside the class context, I do not forget at all. I usually struggle a bit with people's names but I get the hang of it if the names are mentioned often enough.
Acha Blandine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Acha Blandine »

No I don't have problem in remembering what I read. Because if I love a book I read it over and over and again my teachers always group us the students to do exposers in class and he/sh will give us a particular book to read and teach other students also by removing the theme, styles and charactasation of the text so from there I hardly read a book and forget about it.
Doris Nwoti
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doris-nwoti.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Doris Nwoti »

Sadly, I do and I don't like it.
stylesreview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stylesreview.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by stylesreview »

DATo wrote: 23 Dec 2013, 05:37 You know, something that no one has mentioned yet is how much LIKING the book impacts how much you retain. It occurs to me that there have been a few books which I enjoyed immensely and whose characters's names and details of the plot I have remembered all my life, but I must admit that for me such books are an exclusive minority.
Indeed. There's something about connecting with this type of books. I find that when I'm excited about a book I talk about it and recommend it a lot. Maybe that helps me remember it more, but the point is I will have enjoyed it immensely.
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatosin-balogun.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Oluwatosin Balogun »

I don't always have trouble retaining what I have read. It's funny as I can narrate every single thing about the book even months later. If the book is especially good, I read it again and again till I get bored.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”