Writing? IN BOOKS?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
2Friendly
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: The False Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-2friendly.html
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
fav_author_id: 2909

Re: Writing? IN BOOKS?

Post by 2Friendly »

If its for school or university then I totally get it. Otherwise...
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "THE EMPTY WORLD" by Andrew Reeves
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I really don't like writing in books. I have never done it and it annoys me when others do it. I feel that I have to keep my books clean; wrting in them just makes them messy, sometimes to the point where you can't read the book because there is writing on the print. Even though I never take notes, I understand that some people do. I just wish they would do it on a seperate paper or notebook and not in the book.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

I've gone back and forth between total purist and devil-may-care scribbler. Now I've sort of attained my happy medium: write in books for school, leave everything else absolutely pristine. I'm absolutely obsessive about keeping borrowed books perfect too (especially if they're my boyfriend's, whose one pet peeve is books that are damaged or marked in any way).
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis
SuduNona
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sudunona.html

Post by SuduNona »

This really annoys me and I think shows little consideration for other readers.

I do like the function on a Kindle though where you can switch other people's comments on and off as you wish. Oh it were that simple with a printed book!
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I hate it. My dad writes his name and the date into every single book he gives me, so I stopped him giving me any more books. A book has already been written, there's no need to fill the paper more with people's own writing. If you want to make notes, get a notepad. If you want to write a story, start writing. But for me books are sort of sacred material and should not be written on.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
autumnbharris

Post by autumnbharris »

I only underline passages in my books. When I was a student, I would write one or two words next to passages for studying and paper purposes, but otherwise, I would agree with you. It's quite a pet peeve of mine!
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

No. Just no. I don't write in books and unless it's a study book you need to make notes in for some reason, I just don't get the point.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
OnionPickle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onionpickle.html

Post by OnionPickle »

Nope. I hate it. Even an unintentional pen mark in a book makes me go crazy.
Katy_Moose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katy-moose.html
Reading Device: B005890FN0

Post by Katy_Moose »

NOPE! nope nope nope. I am personally against writing in my books. Now I know that other's like to doodle and make notes and stuff in their books. It's a oxymoron but when I am in a used book store and I find books with writing on the inside covers or margins I almost always want to adopt them.
bibliophile99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile99.html

Post by bibliophile99 »

I have nothing against writeing in books, i personally do not do it, but that is becouse when i am reading i am completely absorbed in the book and dont have time to think "oh that was interesting let me write that down". i believe if that if someone wants to write in thier books, they should.. its thier book and they haVE THE RIGHT TO WRITE IN IT.
Taylor Hagen
Currently Reading: Reached
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hagen.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Taylor Hagen »

i love little notes or highlights of important things, because i like seeing what people before me thought when reading, but not paragraphs or anything too annoying.
powderblue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-powderblue.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by powderblue »

Absoutely hate it!
Writing on literature works seems like a horrible thing to do.
Once or twice i have underlined in text books for school or university, but never felt too comfortable even at that.
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

I will write in the front cover if the book is a gift. I also write in my cookbooks. How much I liked or disliked a recipe. I would never write in another person's book, seems distructive.

-- 09 Dec 2015, 09:16 --
tstaf4d wrote:I do not have a problem with people who write directly in their books, but I personally cannot handle doing it to any books I have read. I choose to use sticky notes, or write notes on a piece (or several pieces) of paper. I have had to use books that have been written in and unfortunately, because people do not think alike I had a hard time deciphering what the previous person was referring to, and I could not focus on the content.
I love the idea of post it notes. Why have I never thought about using them?
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Christie86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christie86.html

Post by Christie86 »

For some reason I find it disrespectful to the author ? I don't know, I know some people do like to write in books and highlight their favorite comments, ect. But no, to me it doesn't seem right.
cpullano
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpullano.html

Post by cpullano »

I find that this helps me when I need to write ABOUT the book. When I was writing papers in school, as much as it made me cringe, writing inside the book was extremely helpful. But as a whole the idea of writing inside a book makes me cry inside. If I want to note something while I read now, I put a sticky note inside afterwords. This is largely because I often donate books after reading them, and I would never taint another's reading with my own opinions on the storyline

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”