Have you ever burned books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
obiebookworm
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obiebookworm.html
Latest Review: "The Little Ladybug" by Amelia May
fav_author_id: 1778

Have you ever burned books?

Post by obiebookworm »

Yes I have! Of course, this was many years before recycling. Though I believe in freedom to read, there's a different in my mind between what happens in a library and my personal collection. In the book burning case, I remember having a few books that I felt were not worth passing on to someone else because they had the high potential of hurting someone else, like it did me.

Bottom line, if there is a book in my possession (most likely one given to me) that has the potential of creating harm to another, it gets trashed. :shock:
Obiebookworm
jjones
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jjones »

I have never even thought of burning a book. I guess I just haven't came across a harmful book. :|
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Never! I recycled some books (they were in a bad condition) or gave them away. Burning books gives me bad associations (Nazis burned books). Why burn books when you can recycle??
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
obiebookworm
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by obiebookworm »

To gali: True! And if I had a situation today, I would definitely recycle. Not everyone in the world recycles for one reason or other. :)
Obiebookworm
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Burning books have never crossed my mind other than when reading about others burning books. I just tuck the book in a box with books I have read or don't plan on reading and save it for my future library where all they will be good for is taking up space, of course with the intents of reading potentially in the future.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

obiebookworm wrote:To gali: True! And if I had a situation today, I would definitely recycle. Not everyone in the world recycles for one reason or other. :)
We recycle. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I have had someone burn my books and bookcase while I was at work. I just bought a new bookcase and set to work refilling it.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Craigable
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craigable.html
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff

Post by Craigable »

I occasionally use books for our wood stove if they not in good enough condition to pass on to anyone.
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff
obiebookworm
Currently Reading: Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!

Post by obiebookworm »

To Craigable: Oh, now that's clever!
Obiebookworm
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Ive burnt them if they are completely shot and unreadable. I burnt two boxes full one time that mice had gotten into. They hold the heat in pretty good in a wood-burning stove.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

Once in awhile I'll come upon a book that I consider to have absolutely no redeeming value...usually something racist or sexist swill...although I can read sexist and find humor in it sometimes..."I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" is very funny if you don't take it seriously. But sometimes there will be a book that I don't want to donate and I'll just throw it in the trash and out of circulation.

I think I'd feel weird burning a book though
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

No, I would never burn a book! What a waste of precious resources!

I take discards from the local library and use layers of pages as mulch in my flower beds. Once the area is completely covered I wet the paper very thoroughly with my trusty garden hose and top it off with pretty bark mulch. As the stuff decomposes I add another layer of paper, and top it up again. Keeps the weeds right out and helps to improve the nasty clay soil.

Burning books indeed!
Expat

Post by Expat »

Have I ever burnt a book? Yes once, I burnt a book I had been given, an extremely expensive book, which was so evil, that so long as it was in my home, I could feel its pall hanging over the house.
But, to just to dispose of any book, it would be like cremating someone I knew. Books represent hours of devotion and reflection by dedicated people baring their souls to the world, they are the receptacle of the deepest thoughts, therefore precious.
beatusmedia

Post by beatusmedia »

Only once. I burned my old journal from childhood to symbolize letting go of the past. So dramatic! :oops:
klickaal
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klickaal.html

Post by klickaal »

I've never burnt a book and I really don't know why anyone would. Also, I'm trying to figure out what people consider an evil book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”