Do you picture actors in your mind when you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Re: Do you picture actors in your mind when you read?

Post by saturday+deviant »

JenniferBoyce wrote:I never picture actors in my head when I read. I think I would be more likely to do that if I were familiar with many actors, but as it is I have a tendency to just imagine the faces of the characters in my head (as they are described by the author).
I do the same, since actors usually don't match the character description 100%. Or sometimes I visualize the character in whatever way I feel they would look like not following the written description either.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Shellby85
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shellby85.html

Post by Shellby85 »

Every time
Usually it's not a particular actor or actress just how I see them to be
Then if it's made into a movie or show its never the same as who they get to play them lol
thankyou
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankyou.html
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell

Post by thankyou »

Yes, all the time!!!! That's what makes reading even more interesting!! I also picture the scenes, the action, the conversation, the fighting, basically everything written in the book.
Latest Review: "Colin Frake, On Fire Mountain" by Nick Phoenix and Two Steps From Hell
W-Harbinger
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-w-harbinger.html
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead

Post by W-Harbinger »

I tend to see whatever the author has described and not whatever actor/actress I think would fit the role. It's largely due to the fact I enjoy conjuring up my own image of characters. To me, there's so much more that can be fleshed out in this way compared to having to choose from a pool of well-known stars.
Latest Review: "Branded" by Katie Hamstead
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

Yes every character is a visual image in my mind, that's how I am able to comprehend what I am reading.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
cam_gold
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cam-gold.html

Post by cam_gold »

I am not too familiar with actors. I would much rather read a book than watch a movie. I don't watch television either. What I do when I am reading a book is try to form an image of the character through the description of the author. If the author has done the job of forming that character well, then I have a wonderful image in my mind that I can get close to.
LadyErynn10
Favorite Book: Harper Hall of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyerynn10.html
Latest Review: "Beware the Well Fed Man" by Chris Capps

Post by LadyErynn10 »

If I've seen the movie before the book, then I do. If not, I like to imagine them based off the descriptions and personalities.

That's what ruined Twilight for me. I enjoyed the books, but once the movies came out, it ruined the images I had in my head. I haven't been able to read them since.
"We have to fight for our place in this world. To be equal with a man, one must be so much better, so much more clever."- From the Silk Vendetta by Victoria Holt.
Latest Review: "Beware the Well Fed Man" by Chris Capps
cam_gold
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cam-gold.html

Post by cam_gold »

LadyErynn10 wrote:If I've seen the movie before the book, then I do. If not, I like to imagine them based off the descriptions and personalities.

That's what ruined Twilight for me. I enjoyed the books, but once the movies came out, it ruined the images I had in my head. I haven't been able to read them since.
I can definitely see how a movie can ruin the images we form from reading the book if we happen to read the book before the movie.
LoveMusic_AK

Post by LoveMusic_AK »

Yes, I do that all the time. Most of the time I imagine made up characters I make up in my head. Sometimes though if I read a book over again, I will picture different actors and actresses in their places.
castor
Favorite Author: G.G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: The Palace of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-castor.html
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Reading Device: B002R5UYXY

Post by castor »

yes and i try to imagine the places, clothes etc
Latest Review: "Dangerous Obsessions" by Bob Van Laerhoven
Firefairyholic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefairyholic.html

Post by Firefairyholic »

Hmm not really. Unless it was mentioned in the book that a certain character looks like someone famous. Then that's who I picture when thinking about the said character.
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

Not specific actors but I always have a mental image of the characters when I read. I think I picture them based on their personality more often than on their actual physical descriptions. This may be why when books are made into movies, the characters hardly ever look how I imagined.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise
casey238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casey238.html

Post by casey238 »

Yes. I always have Alex Pettyfer in mind for some reasons.
jsimms3

Post by jsimms3 »

some more than others. Sometimes a particular actor or actress comes to mind that I think would be perfect for the part.
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

Never. I tend to have my own idea of what the characters will look like. It's one of the reasons some of the harry potter actors/actresses really threw me for a loop.
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”