Can reading be rude?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
tiffanynettles
Favorite Author: Tami Hoad
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanynettles.html
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW

Re: Can reading be rude?

Post by tiffanynettles »

Yes, I believe in some circumstances it can be rude. I have a cousin who stays glued to a book any time the family comes down to. Is it, and while I am also a book worm I do enjoy having conversations with her on the occasion.
Latest Review: "Fate Reborn" by Christina OW
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

kbsmith11 wrote:I completely agree with you guys. My husband thinks that it is rude to read when we are supposed to be spending time together but he is watching tv so I take out my kindle. I don't feel it is rude since we are still together and he is engrossed in the television. Since there is not conversation what is the point of watching a show I care nothing about and would rather be reading!?!
I agree with you if he is watching TV then you should be able to read, maybe cuddle up with him. I did when the ex watched tv and I was reading. Or we'd have a little small talk or I'd stop and ask about the show during a commercial or something.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
GreenBookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenbookworm.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by GreenBookworm »

Yes, agree. If someone talks to you, I guess it is quite rude to not put down a book until the conversation is finished.
rosemarieshort
Currently Reading: Vanity Fair
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemarieshort.html

Post by rosemarieshort »

Obviously if you're in a group eating / socializing etc. and you whip out a book, stop interacting and just ignore everyone then that would be rude. But other than that I don't think so. Even if you are in a group (say at lunch) and the conversation has just dead, and people are checking their phones or whatever, I think as long as you ask if no one minds if you get your book out its perfectly fine to start reading.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

It can be. If you are reading a book in the middle of a conversation. I tend to do this, and my friends constantly get annoyed.
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
cpinzon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cpinzon »

Personally, I believe that reading can be rude in certain situations.

If you are around family, friends, students, professors, etc. pulling out a book and stuffing your nose into it's creases and forgetting the existence of everyone around you doesn't seem like it can do too much harm, but it is utterly rude. Enjoy the company of the person with you.
Cher+Pot
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher-pot.html
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Cher+Pot »

VinuW wrote:It can be. If you are reading a book in the middle of a conversation. I tend to do this, and my friends constantly get annoyed.
I agree, but now I also have to point out that some people come up to me...while they see I am engrossed in my book :evil: ...and want to start talking to me :doh: . Then I admit, I am rude and give monosyllabic answers :roll: . Otherwise, I try not to read at social gatherings, because sometimes I can't focus on the story and need to read a paragraph three times before it sinks in.
If you don't like where you are, MOVE!
You are not a tree.
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Yes, I believe there is a time and place to read, and during social gatherings is not the place. Being a book lover, I understand the power of having social interactions and friendships. Reading during a party isolates you, and if you do it enough, then you may not be invited to many parties after that.

I have read during a car trip when I'm traveling with friends for hours. I don't feel it's rude to read then, especially if most are pulling out their cell phones. I consider that a mutual understanding that sometimes there are lulls in conversations on long rides and we like to keep ourselves entertained.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

My head is always in a book. I don't make apologies , and I'm well aware that most people don't like it. However, I have manners and common sense. I will pause and make eye contact, or close the book if necessary. However, I refuse to let random chatty strangers pull me from reading. I will respond and chat briefly, and I don't hesitate to say that I'm ready to bow my head again. Take care , or have a nice day, great chatting, blah blah. Over and done with in a polite manner.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Freethinker

Post by Freethinker »

I think it depends on the situation. I found it incredibly rude when my best mate asked my hubby and I round for dinner and whilst the 3 of us chatted, her husband spent most of the meal texting his friends!! He made no effort to join in the conversation. BUT, having said that, I do something that I think my in-laws consider rude but I feel there isn't much of an option for me. Hubby and I visit them, maybe staying for a week. Each meal time we all sit up together and they drag on for an hour and a half each time, maybe 2 hours. Often I'm reading when I'm called to the table so I bring my book. I eat my food and often just sit quietly. I do this because a) after 16 years I have nothing to contribute to the topics my in-laws want to talk about; b) they don't seem to require a response, preferring to talk AT me rather than TO me; and c) rather rudely, half the conversation is carried out in their own language, which I have made efforts to learn but don't have an advanced grasp of yet. So, once food is eaten and they are chatting and I can't join in, what do I do?! I know lunch or dinner isn't 'finished' because it's always followed up with a hot drink and the expectation is that I stay there for that so I get my book out. I used to just sit there for 2 hours feeling mind-numbingly bored but now I just start to read. I'm sure they think I'm rude but then maybe they need to try to get to know me and try to talk to me about things I'm interested in...?! You know, all the time I've spent staying with them, always reading, neither of them have EVER asked me what I'm reading! I think that illustrates quite clearly how little interest they have in me or anything I have to say!
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Carry on Freethinker! You're not reading to be rude. Best wishes.
Freethinker wrote:I think it depends on the situation. I found it incredibly rude when my best mate asked my hubby and I round for dinner and whilst the 3 of us chatted, her husband spent most of the meal texting his friends!! He made no effort to join in the conversation. BUT, having said that, I do something that I think my in-laws consider rude but I feel there isn't much of an option for me. Hubby and I visit them, maybe staying for a week. Each meal time we all sit up together and they drag on for an hour and a half each time, maybe 2 hours. Often I'm reading when I'm called to the table so I bring my book. I eat my food and often just sit quietly. I do this because a) after 16 years I have nothing to contribute to the topics my in-laws want to talk about; b) they don't seem to require a response, preferring to talk AT me rather than TO me; and c) rather rudely, half the conversation is carried out in their own language, which I have made efforts to learn but don't have an advanced grasp of yet. So, once food is eaten and they are chatting and I can't join in, what do I do?! I know lunch or dinner isn't 'finished' because it's always followed up with a hot drink and the expectation is that I stay there for that so I get my book out. I used to just sit there for 2 hours feeling mind-numbingly bored but now I just start to read. I'm sure they think I'm rude but then maybe they need to try to get to know me and try to talk to me about things I'm interested in...?! You know, all the time I've spent staying with them, always reading, neither of them have EVER asked me what I'm reading! I think that illustrates quite clearly how little interest they have in me or anything I have to say!
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
iluvbubbles
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iluvbubbles.html

Post by iluvbubbles »

I think it can be like a cell phone. If somene is trying to talk to you and you just keep reading lol.
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

I think it can be rude the same way texting on your phone while with company is considered rude. I have a bad habit of bringing a book with me when out with my family and rather than talk to them during dinner I'll read my book, but they're used to it :lol:
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

I suppose it depends on what you read :wink:
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Meg0169
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg0169.html
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Post by Meg0169 »

sweetnsassymom wrote:Yes, it can be rude to read instead of interacting with others, for example in the lunchroom with co-workers, you could at least be a little sociable at first until you run out of things to say and then you can start reading. But if you are in a doctor's waiting room where you don't know anyone, it is definitely not rude, rather it is more acceptable than just sitting there staring at people. I agree that it is no more rude than being glued to your phone, but at least look up every once in a while and see what you are missing.]
I completely agree. I am not going to pull out a book and read in a social situation with people I know, but I always have a book with me and will read when I am in the waiting room or someplace like that. I do tend to do it at work sometimes too, but I work at a library so it is a little more acceptable and people don't judge.

I will admit I have brought a book and pulled it out and started reading at a social outing once, but everyone was drunk and obnoxious and I needed to escape. I am sure I have done it more than once, but never to be rude.
Latest Review: "Night of the Chupacabra" by Michael Hebler

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”