Reading before sleeping

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Re: Reading before sleeping

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

When I was in high school, I used to read a few chapters before bed. Now that I am out on my own, I try to read before bed, but sometimes that just doesn't happen. I am going to school full-time while working full-time and some nights I don't get home until after 10. So I am just exhausted and fall right into bed and sleep.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
Kardelen8012
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Grey
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kardelen8012.html

Post by Kardelen8012 »

I love reading before sleep and I try to do it everyday. It helps me to calm my thoughts and I don't feel guilty if I didn't have time to read during the day. So I feel more productive and go to sleep feeling better.
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

While I do like to read before sleeping, it often makes it so the sleeping part is pushed back considerably. I can't even keep track of the amount of times I have stayed up into the early morning to finish a book. So in theory, yes, I love to read before bed, but in practice, if I want to be able to sleep I can't really do it.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I love to read in bed right before I go to sleep. It relaxes me and I seem to sleep better. I used to read almost every night because my husband worked the night shift. Now he works during the day so I have less time by myself in the evening, so I also have less time to read.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
countrychick201389
Currently Reading: true beliver
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-countrychick201389.html

Post by countrychick201389 »

yes I always read before going to bed. I helps me sleep as well and I can always wind down after a long days work.
Jay_Kewi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jay_Kewi »

Reading before sleeping is a must. I can't even get comfort without a few pages of my current book.
Slytherin_gurl
Favorite Book: I'll Point to Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slytherin-gurl.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Slytherin_gurl »

I read about 5 chapters before I sleep. Reading before sleeping kind of clears my mind and makes sleeping a lot easier. especially if you have anxiety/depression. :?
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

It depends on what I'm reading. Most of the time I do find that it helps me to relax for sleep, but if I'm at a really exciting part of a book or close to the end I tend to stay up way later than I should just to know what happens next. Just one more chapter!
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Zelex656

Post by Zelex656 »

Reading before bed is always a bad idea for me (not that I don't do it all the time) I always end up doing the just one more chapter thing and staying up till three four in the morning.
AshaNz

Post by AshaNz »

I love reading before bed but it's a dangerous game to play! If I get up to a particular gripping part it can be 1 am before I know it. Not always the best with work first thing in the morning
meg6609
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by meg6609 »

Reading for me helps me sleep. It just relaxes me. There are times when I am so caught up in a book where I have read until it is very late, but usually reading a chapter or two while in bed getting ready for sleep helps - drives my husband nuts having the light, but it helps me sleep...
tidepooldream
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tidepooldream.html

Post by tidepooldream »

I read a lot before I sleep. To me, it's the most enjoyable time to read. I also read when I want to stimulate my brain for other activities, such as, I'm an active gamer and I'll read before "raiding". Reading before bed, is almost a must.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I read all the time before I go to bed. It is definitely a favorite pastime of mine to just read a book in bed.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
DesiP
Currently Reading: Modern Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desip.html
Latest Review: "All Roads Lead to Hades" by K.S. Morgan
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by DesiP »

I love to read in bed before sleeping. Sometimes it relaxes me and sometimes it has the exact opposite effect. For me it all depends on either what I'm reading or where in the book I am. It used to drive my husband crazy to have the light on, then he bought me a book light. :) Now I use my Kindle. The only problem with my Kindle is that sometimes it makes my eyes really tired even if I'm not ready to stop reading yet.
Latest Review: "All Roads Lead to Hades" by K.S. Morgan
sonipat

Post by sonipat »

The moments before sleep can provide a rare retreat from a jam-packed day for highly successful people.
However, it actually does matter what you read. Reading a horror novel before sleeping might give you bad dreams, whereas reading something dense and informative might keep your mind too busy trying to process information to go to sleep. Instead, try these light fun books for an easy bedtime read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”