Changes in Reading Tastes

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ElectricSheep
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Changes in Reading Tastes

Post by ElectricSheep »

I only just got back in to reading again since I was a child and my reading tastes have widened quite often.
I am a big fan of Stephen king but I like books that have a bit of romance in them as well.
The dead zone is a good example of what I mean. A great read which I highly recommend.

-- 23 Aug 2014, 05:53 --
Eve-Olsen2005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve-olsen2005.html

Post by Eve-Olsen2005 »

The Dead Zone is a great read!
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Dead Zone was a good book.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
margaridab98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-margaridab98.html

Post by margaridab98 »

Humor when I was a kid. Romance when I was a 12 year-old cliche girl and now I love a little bit of every genre but I have a special feeling about fantasy stories.
ladybug31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladybug31.html

Post by ladybug31 »

In general, I didn't realize that my book tastes had changed until about a year ago. I used to be a HUGE Stephen King fan, but about six months ago, I picked up "The Dark Half". After getting halfway through, I had to put it down. Something about the tone of the book just didn't speak to me anymore. Also, I used to be into tons of books about mental problems (The Bell Jar, Girl, Interrupted, etc) but as I've gotten older they've just started to grate on my nerves. And I've gotten more into thick heavy books (my current love is David Foster Wallace, but unfortunately most of the bookstore down her in good-ole Alabama don't have tons of DFW without having to order it) and have started enjoying them much much more.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

I started out reading Enid Blyton and such but eventually I started reading Manga. Eventually, I started reading YA stuff like The Sorcerer's Apprentice and etc. That changed and I began reading romance novels. The intensity of romance changed and I started reading Romantica. Now I read any genre so long as the story catches my attention.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

My tastes have changed as I have gotten older, but I still am intrigued by a variety of genres. It is just that my overall interest in certain ones have waned while it has waxed in others.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

My reading tastes have changed somewhat over the years. I used to mainly read non-fiction (true crime, political, biographies, etc.) and contemporary women's fiction. I liked Ann Rule true crime books and Bob Woodward's political exposes. Now I am reading more mysteries and historical fiction.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
prublu29

Post by prublu29 »

As a child, I really enjoyed fantasy novels, then I moved on to the classics in high school. Now, I really can't get enough of any genre!
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I would say that mine have. I used to love Sci-fi/fantasy books and while I still do I ventured into romance and now I will read all kinds of books from almost any genre as long as the plot is interesting.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

When I was in high school I enjoyed Harlequin and other romance novels to no end. I would read them day and night. As I matured I read horror books by authors such as Dean Koontz and Stephen King. However, this was mainly due to the fact that my boyfriend at the time was into that genre of books. My tastes in literature really changed while I was in college. It's as if a whole new world had opened up for me. Great literature became my true love. Today, I will read just about any genre as long as it has an interesting plot; I especially love Biographies, Autobiographies and Memoirs.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
RenaissanceWoman
Favorite Author: Variable
Favorite Book: Changes Often
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renaissancewoman.html

Post by RenaissanceWoman »

I have always had eclectic tastes in books, but I find it depends on where or how I'm reading. I like to listen to audio books in bed or when I drive and they are always mystery or horror. I like to read paperback humor books, and romance on my tablet. I've done a lot of reviewing of Young Adult novels and I find reading them on my computer is my tool of choice. Have my tastes changed over the years? Probably. And they'll probably change again!
DATo

Post by DATo »

I think it is only natural for tastes to change. As we get older and acquire more life experience our worldview changes to include the things we have learned.

I recently discussed how food tastes change as we older with someone at work. I know that in my case a lot of foods that were unappealing to me when I was younger (not necessarily a child but just younger) are now foods I really like. I think the same may be said of books, political ideas or just about anything else. As we get older our tastes mature.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

I actually haven't changed that much... even at the age of eight I was reading 14+ books... the only thing I can say that has changed in my stories is that now I enjoy dry wit. And gore Which I used to hate, but otherwise I'm still reading the same genres
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

I read YA mainly in the past couple of years, but then I stopped, because I thought I was too old for them and that I don't learn much from reading them (that made me develop a hatred for them) so I started reading other genres, avoiding YA, and that's what I do until now. I want my reading to be beneficial as well as entertaining.
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”