Concentrating on reading as you get older

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Tinamgolla
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinamgolla.html

Re: Concentrating on reading as you get older

Post by Tinamgolla »

It s harder to read a whole book in a day. But still spend at least two hours a day reading. I have to take a few breaks now but it is still great to be able to read
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

Oh yes, but I think its pretty normal though.
Our cells are dying off...
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

This topic is depressing as hell ... I had hoped that by the time I got to retirement I'd have a large library & could sit in peace & contentment & read 24/7.
Now you lot are telling me I can look forward to having the attention span of a newt - nothing for it, I'll just have to learn to play golf I guess :roll:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Mom2Grey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mom2grey.html

Post by Mom2Grey »

I still have an old Norton annotated copy of Dostoyevky's "Crime and Punishment" waiting for me.

I remember the effort it took to make my way through "Brother's Karamazov" in my Russian Literature class and realise I just don't have what it takes anymore. My window of opportunity for this stuff is gone. Yes, its sad. I'm kind of in mourning for my lost cells.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I have found it more difficult to keep to a book because I usually don't have the time, and if I do find the time its only a few minutes so depending on how long until I pick the book up again if it's a long while (2 weeks for me), then I will either reread the beginning or just go to a new book altogether.
prisailurophile
Favorite Author: Ian McEwan
Favorite Book: Matilda by Roald Dahl
Currently Reading: Underground by Murakami
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisailurophile.html
fav_author_id: 2508

Post by prisailurophile »

I find it the same :) So many good books to read yet there's so little time.
textcritter

Post by textcritter »

Bingo. Everyone I'm around can't understand why I've gotten so impatient in my
"twilight" years. (They're being generous. I'm a real pain in the back porch,) I wouldn't
say I've lost my ability to concentrate; it just takes more to hold my interest. Sully
and I have known each other since tea was legal in Boston. (Please don't tell Sully
it's still legal. He can't differentiate between legal and popular anymore. But I digress.)
Anyhoo, Mr. Sullivan is content to talk to the wall, or commune with his vegetables
whenever his daughter treats us to a "night on the town; i.e., that being the "Senior
Discounted Boneless Ham with Potato or Salad or Fries or Soup, Your Choice Dears"
at the IHOPE near us. (The "E" is not a typo. I like to reveal my wit. By turns. Sometimes
I'm too witty and Barbara calls a cab. But not really. It is my cue to Ruhig Bitte!!).
The "current wisdom" is content to brand me "confused." I'd like to think I'm
just too damn urbane for my own good. Back to you, Bug Hitty.
Greeneyedphotogirl79
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Favorite Book: 1984
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greeneyedphotogirl79.html
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Greeneyedphotogirl79 »

YES!! I normally have to have silence or classical music in the background AND a book mark to keep my eye focused. When I was younger I used to literally lose myself in a book and tune out the surrounding environment. I guess that's the hazard of having children I suppose lol
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I don't have trouble staying with books. The problem is now that I'm older and working more, it's harder to find time to read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”