Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

No i don`t
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Circling Turtle
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake
Currently Reading: Listening to Distant Thunder: The Art of Peter Clarke
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-circling-turtle.html
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Circling Turtle »

I feel that books are meant to be shared, and I love introducing people to new authors or to a genre they wouldn't normally read. Unfortunately I have experienced cases where these books have never made their way back to me but for the most part I've been pretty lucky. Besides, I have to admit that I have some books on my shelf that I borrowed years ago and I can't even remember who I borrowed them from... Shameful, I know. I'm not too fussed about the condition of my books, I've moved so often that a lot of them are worse for wear already, so as long as they don't have any serious spill marks or tears when they come home I don't mind a little spine-creasing. It's the words inside that hold the magic.
Latest Review: "Van Gogh in Peppers" by Christopher Scott Downing
lrossi122
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lrossi122.html

Post by lrossi122 »

It really depends. I have a lot of friends who are maniacs when it comes to literature like myself, so I know I can usually trust them not to do anything shady with the books. I usually like to do a one-for-one trade so there is collateral on both ends. I do love lending books, and borrowing books from people, because it gives a nice little taste of that person's literary style.
Cugrad27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cugrad27 »

I cherish my books so I have a hard time lending them out. I have found that the lendees tend to not worry about getting the book back to me. Which in the end disappoints me and in turn discourages future lending. I do love to share the books I have absolutely loved via word of mouth!
jacob_schrimpf
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacob-schrimpf.html

Post by jacob_schrimpf »

I also dislike lending out my books. For me, part of the experience of reading the book is holding the physical copy in my hands so I am particular about the state of the book itself. I like my books to stay in prime condition and lending them out risks that they could come back in poor condition or that I may never get it back at all.
jsind

Post by jsind »

Somehow it is a disaster to lend my books to others. Either they misplace or happily give to others and the books I like most never returns to me.
Mjelmer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjelmer.html

Post by Mjelmer »

I use to until some didn't get returned...now I just recommend them!
Adakage
Currently Reading: Book of Chefs
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adakage.html

Post by Adakage »

I don't mind lending my books as long as i get it back in the exact same condition, but any change upsets me. Even if it's just the fact that the book opens somewhere else because they pressed down too hard on the page or just a little curl on the page.. i'll remember it forever and always feel bad looking at it. Yet i still do lend my books.
Alexandra Bayer
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: Vampire Academy Series
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra-bayer.html
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Alexandra Bayer »

I once lent a book that I'd just received from the book order in elementary school to my sister; she dropped it in the bath tub. That was the last book of mine I let her read. In grade six, I let a friend borrow the copy of Twilight I'd received for my birthday. It came back with the corners of the cover bent and the spine all wrinkled. I don't think I've lent out another book to anyone since.
Think, believe, manifest.
Latest Review: "Anonymous" by Christine Benedict
reyesmaribel47
Currently Reading: Light of Day
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyesmaribel47.html

Post by reyesmaribel47 »

When it comes to books, I am not one for sharing. I often do not like how others treat my books and sometimes I may not even get my books in return!
kstockard
Currently Reading: The World at Night
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kstockard.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by kstockard »

I share many of the same opinions about lending books to others. I don't like to lend my nice or favorite books. I know that if I mess up my book on accident then the responsibility falls on me. If I let a friend borrow one of my books and they tear the book up, I have no guarantee of a replacement book. To me, that is too much of a risk to take.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of a community bookshelf. The books do not belong to any one person. It is a form of sharing books without having to lend out personal collections.
Leonie555
Currently Reading: We Are Water
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie555.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Leonie555 »

I agree with the majority here. I do not like lending my books to anyone - and I do not borrow books either. If I hear about a great book - I go and buy it. Some of my friends have given me the raised eyebrow look but I do not worry about that. I love my books and yes they are alphabetised by author on my bookshelves
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
KLopez_23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klopez-23.html

Post by KLopez_23 »

I will lend my books out as long as I know they are responsible. One time I lent a book out to a family member and it came back with coffee spilt on it and some of the pages ripped. She apologized and offered to buy me a new copy, but I will not lend to her again.
mbuford

Post by mbuford »

No, I do not do it anymore. I've lost so many good books that way. Or worst yet the book is in horrible condition when I get it back. Now my books are on my IPad, no more borrowing :wink:
pairallele
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pairallele.html

Post by pairallele »

I don't like lending books out, I either never see it again or it comes back in very poor condition. I've moved to eBooks now because of lending (not the only reason though).

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”