Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by Storygamer88 »

I love lending out books to friends cause I like the idea that my friends will possibly read and enjoy my books as much I've enjoyed them. The idea of a friend I can talk to about a favorite of my excites me.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Yes, I'm just about ready to lend out a book of mine to my cousin. I'm not worried because I know that she will take care of it and return it to me in good condition.

I'm excited for her because this will be her 'summer reading' book. :)
Luv_bookz

Post by Luv_bookz »

No I do not. Mostly because other people don't take care of my books. I've have received back books written in, pages falling out, the spine all vent, and covers ripped.
Aohanlon86
Favorite Author: Charlaine Harris
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amcdanel86.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 3791

Post by Aohanlon86 »

I only lend book to my best friend of 15 yrs and my sister. and we go back and forth. I have not gotten books back from other so I don't like lending to anyone now
Andrea O'Hanlon
Twisted Creations Home & Bath
Author
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I will only lend out books to people I know will return them. I don't want to have to go chasing my own book to get it back!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
June Weatherbee
Currently Reading: Prep

Post by June Weatherbee »

Definitely not. Chances are I will not get them back. Some have been on loan for years! Same with my DVD of Grey Gardens, asked for over a year to get it back.!
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

No I don't really like lending unless they're truly a good reader and good borrower(?) who'll take care of my books and will give them back to me.

Like there's this one friend of mine borrowed my novels, what.. 2~3 i think more than 4 years already, I never saw that book again. And my aunt borrowed my novel, when it comes back. Voila! Pens and pencil at the front pages and at the back. I don't mind if the fold at the edge but no crumbling my books or draws on it or never give them back.
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

No. A money can be remembered being borrowed but a book, HAHA. Say goodbye to it when you let someone borrow it.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

No, I don't out of experience, but if have to...I lend out those that I'm least attached to & probably already read.
kittymamamau
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittymamamau.html
Latest Review: Fences by Angela Khrsitin Brown

Post by kittymamamau »

I hate sharing!! Call me selfish but I like to keep my books in good condition. I've also lent out books and never seen them again! It seems like there's always something that goes wrong.
k2rugman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k2rugman.html
Latest Review: Rituals of Season by Giovanna Ess

Post by k2rugman »

I am very selective on who I lend books to. I have no problem letting my family borrow my books because they have the same respect for them as I do. Friends, on the other hand, I don't like lending books to.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I lend my books but then I have to monitor it so it doesn't get lost. I have lost too many books in the past.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

No. I am very selfish with my books. I do not like to share my precious.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Btowntheatregal
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btowntheatregal.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Btowntheatregal »

I always lend my books out. I view books this way -- each book has a life of it's own. It has a journey that maybe started when you picked it up off the shelf of a bookstore or ordered it new online. Maybe it started 50 years ago and has passed through a dozen different owner's hands. Every crease or crack or blemish, to me, is just a sign of the life it has lived and I appreciate that. It means it's been well loved. Maybe my book comes back to me or maybe it doesn't. If it's one I love, I will buy it again used. I guess a believe a book is always where it's meant to be.

Best,

Sharlene
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

I'm glad I won't seem like the only selfish hoohah here. No, I don't lend my books. Again as someone said upstream unless its a book I don't like.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”