Do you like lending out your books to others?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
vibha_sood
Currently Reading: Men who brought light before dawn
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vibha-sood.html

Re: Do you like lending out your books to others?

Post by vibha_sood »

Yes, I like sharing nice reads with the people who like reading.

The books which were lent were returned in good condition.Indeed people were more cautious that my books should not be dilapidated.

Its good to share good books.Spread knowledge....Spread light...

Thanks & Regards,
Vibha
Divya agarwal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-agarwal.html

Post by Divya agarwal »

Lending a book really sucks.I agree. If u lend one ,consider it gone but if u don't ,consider the person gone.
Dementia5
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dementia5.html

Post by Dementia5 »

I could probably be diagnosed with OCD with any of my possessions, but let me tell all of you loud and clear: I have no tolerance for having my goods returned damaged. I just end up buying it again. Nothing more aggravating that a bent cover or turning a dog eared page, unless I am the one responsible.

To that point, I am reticent to lend out anything at all as, since I am far too trusting, I do not always keep tabs on who has what. Therefore, I am forced to consider myself fortunate to have my loans returned at all. I am selfless on other matters, but on this I am absolute.
rosemarieshort
Currently Reading: Vanity Fair
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemarieshort.html

Post by rosemarieshort »

I'm happy to lend out anything that is easily re-purchased. If I can grab another copy online I'm not too fussed if someone spills coffee / drops it in the bath / lets their kids use it as a coloring book. But I don't lend out anything with special meaning to me (anything someone has written a note in upon giving, anything signed by the author - that sort of thing).

I'm funny about lending from people, as I know not everyone is as laid back as I am about book condition. I would hate to really upset someone by accidentally dog earring something they were incredibly attached to!!!
Klompatron
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klompatron.html

Post by Klompatron »

I don't like lending out books. If I do, it's only to people that I know well and know how they treat their books.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

I really don't like lending my books. I occasionally lend them to my closest friends, the ones I can trust. You shouldn't lend books to people you really don't know, and I learned it the hard way.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
vid20shree
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vid20shree.html
Latest Review: "On an exciting Cocktail Night" by Lathish Shankar

Post by vid20shree »

I don't like lending books to others.. For one they misplace the books or don't treat it the way I do. I just say a firm NO. There are a couple of my friends who are also book lovers.. Maybe if they ask I would lend them my books.
Latest Review: "On an exciting Cocktail Night" by Lathish Shankar
AHenderson42

Post by AHenderson42 »

I have to REALLY trust someone before I lend them a book unless I didn't really care for it and was considering donating orselling anyway. They are like family once they get a special place on the shelves, you know? And nothing is more heartbreaking than getting one back with a wrinkled spine and dog-eared pages when you've only read it once.
dottypotter

Post by dottypotter »

not really but I have done.
cranej80
Currently Reading: love your life not theirs
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cranej80.html
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cranej80 »

I sometimes lend our my books but more often I end up just buying them a copy for a holiday. That way they get to read the book and I get to keep mine.
Latest Review: "Food Gift Recipes From Nature's Bounty" by Lilly Robbins Brock
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I am not a fan of lending my books out to others. Ever since I had loaned out a book in pristine condition that came back looking like it went through a herd of toddlers. Now when someone asks about a book, I'll try to steer them towards the library.
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

Not particularly. I remember once in middle school I lent one of my favorite books to a friend and I never saw it again. Another time I lent a book to a friend in high school and she had lost it within a day. Now my list of people I'm willing to lend books to is very short.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

It's funny how a lot of us tend to keep our books to ourselves.. How many of us actually delve into books more than once?
If a book was really good, I am guilty of being reluctant to lend out my copy, however, I probably won't open the book for a couple of years (let alone ever) so I lend it out.
I actually really enjoy sharing books with the people around me, even if i don't think they'll enjoy it I'm not going to deny them that experience with a story I've enjoyed just for aesthetic reasons... Especially if they're going to learn from it or perhaps 'have their eyes opened' (I get that one a lot) by the book.
Crossroad Readers
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossroad-readers.html
Latest Review: "Love for One" by Stacey Haga

Post by Crossroad Readers »

I don't mind lending books as long as I trust the person I'm lending it to.
Latest Review: "Love for One" by Stacey Haga
Elizab
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Elizab »

I never loan out my books, I'm very protective of them, it's as if they are my children. Id be very upset if they we're ruined. Seems silly but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”