Characters with your name.

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Aussie-reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Characters with your name.

Post by Aussie-reader »

Sine_Ni_Ceallach wrote:Can't think of any characters named Jenna...
I read an Australian book "West of the Blue Gums" and the main character was called Jenna.

-- 04 Feb 2014, 17:31 --
amcdaniel_01 wrote:My name is Amber and it actually surprises me I've never read a book with my name in it. However, the character would probably be ditsy because it seems like all television or movie characters with my name are. Therefore, I think I'm actually fine with there not being any Ambers in the literary world.
Forever Amber (1944) is a romance novel by Kathleen Winsor set in 17th-century England. It was made into a film in 1947 by 20th Century Fox.

I have read it - didnt realize it was written so long ago.

My own name is Helen - I cant recall any books with Helen as the main character - and any side characters tend to be prissy old aunt types :?
Books+anime+Beatles

Post by Books+anime+Beatles »

K-katastrophe3 wrote:Though I know there is a book, obviously with my name (though spelt differently) based on the main character Carrie. Though mine is spelt Karie. I have not read that one nor any books with my name in them. I think I would like to one day find at least one with my name.

-- 03 Feb 2014, 09:54 --
Books+anime+Beatles wrote:Not my name, I'm Catarina (I'm Portuguese) and I can't remember any character called Catarina in Portuguese or Brazilian literature. But the translation of my name to English, which is Catherine, is the name of the main character of one of my favourite books, Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë. But I guess that doesn't count! :wink:
The novel The Warrior (brotherhood of the sword book 3) Has a main character named Catarina. :) You should check it out.
K-katastrophe3/Karie, thank you! :D
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

One or two have the name Holly, yes. Usually in romances and I'm usually not too happy if they're money grabbing airheads, understandably. I think you have to try and put distance between the name and you on these occasions.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

Aithne wrote:One or two have the name Holly, yes. Usually in romances and I'm usually not too happy if they're money grabbing airheads, understandably. I think you have to try and put distance between the name and you on these occasions.
That's a very valid point. Maybe some of us have seen our names in books, but has anyone actually liked the character? Would you like it that a villain has your name, for example?
hueymom3
Currently Reading: Virgin River Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hueymom3.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by hueymom3 »

If there's a Kelley it's usually spelled Kelly. :roll:
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html

Post by Aithne »

Misaela wrote:
Aithne wrote:One or two have the name Holly, yes. Usually in romances and I'm usually not too happy if they're money grabbing airheads, understandably. I think you have to try and put distance between the name and you on these occasions.
That's a very valid point. Maybe some of us have seen our names in books, but has anyone actually liked the character? Would you like it that a villain has your name, for example?
If they're an interesting character, why not? If villains have a valid reason for being the way they are I usually have a lot of sympathy and understanding for them. One of the villains in my book I wrote over the summer, for instance, had an awful childhood and is a villain but not in the all consuming way and she's probably my favourite character I've ever written about.
jenbel
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenbel.html
Latest Review: "Greenhill" by Gary Cann

Post by jenbel »

My first name is quite common, but not many authors use it. My maiden name (Winship), however, is not common and I read a review once and the book had a character with that last name. I didn't take a minute to jot down the title and I keep forgetting to search for it online. I think I'll do that.

-- 06 Feb 2014, 15:27 --
jenbel wrote:My first name is quite common, but not many authors use it. My maiden name (Winship), however, is not common and I read a review once and the book had a character with that last name. I didn't take a minute to jot down the title and I keep forgetting to search for it online. I think I'll do that.
Found it! It is called Brookland by Emily Barton and the character's name is Prudence Winship.
Latest Review: "Greenhill" by Gary Cann
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Post by Reading lady »

Judy isn't that common but I have read one or two.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
KLyons1
Favorite Author: Many
Favorite Book: See Favorite Author
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klyons1.html
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith

Post by KLyons1 »

A few, although it's usually a supporting character.
Latest Review: "A Vision of Angels" by Timothy Jay Smith
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Scorsee »

When I was little my parents found some books about "Lottie the Chicken"--that's the only time I've seen my name in a book. But I thought it was super cool at the time.
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore
M-Allmon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-allmon.html

Post by M-Allmon »

I can't think of any....my name is Mandy
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html

Post by Misaela »

Has someone read about a Cynthia? I've only seem my name on a cartoon, but never a book...
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I don't think anyone will think of my name as a character. My name is Vipasha.
Kaki69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaki69.html

Post by Kaki69 »

Not that I've ever read...let me know if you run across a Stacey in your reading.
yalonde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

Not me, I think it would be cool though. My name is Yalonda. It is spelled different, so I may not see it in a book. :(
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”