Favorite book on a dystopian society?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
julieg25
Favorite Author: Jk Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games
Currently Reading: My Sisters Keeper Widows Watch
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julieg25.html
Latest Review: "Beyond Birkie Fever" by Walter Rhein

Re: Favorite book on a dystopian society?

Post by julieg25 »

I've read 1984 and Farenheit 451. Both are good books. I really like Farenheit 451. I read them for my English class.
Latest Review: "Beyond Birkie Fever" by Walter Rhein
gipps
Favorite Author: Guy Gavriel Kay
Favorite Book: Tigana
Currently Reading: Shadows Over Bakers Street
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gipps.html
fav_author_id: 13379

Post by gipps »

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin is one of my favorites in dystopian lit, but there's also A Handmaid's Tale by Atwood that's pretty good. Also, on a completely different note, anything Adventure Time, which is technically set in a post-apocalyptic world (pretty messed up for a kid's show), and as it is now a comic book and a number of graphic novels, I thought I'd slide it in.
kat6496
Favorite Author: Liza Palmer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1314">The Disappearing Girl</a>
Currently Reading: Electric Barracuda - Tim Dorsey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat6496.html
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
fav_author_id: 6497

Post by kat6496 »

I know you said "new", but I can't think of anything that jumps out at me. I think that like others have said, some of the classics have certainly done it best:

The Time Machine
Brave New World
Logan's Run
Fahrenheit 451
The Giver
The Running Man
A Clockwork Orange

Interesting views on the future! Great topic!

-- 26 Sep 2013, 15:29 --
julieg25 wrote:I've read 1984 and Farenheit 451. Both are good books. I really like Farenheit 451. I read them for my English class.
I think I read Fahrenheit 451 around 23 years ago! Geesh! I have read it at least once a year ever since. It was fantastic, wasn't it? I would be Guy Montag myself...or the old lady who would rather burn than leave her collection!
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
ssdm4eva

Post by ssdm4eva »

My favorite in the this category is The Giver
Pdott+NS
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pdott-ns.html

Post by Pdott+NS »

I enjoyed 1984 but my favorite is "The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Cronin creates a rich world where the main characters are on the run from humans turned vampire-bats. Its more complex than that but I don't want to give too much away. I literally could not put it down and finished it in a couple days.
rainydayrun
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rainydayrun.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by rainydayrun »

Dystopian societies as a genre in books is a new favorite of mine. I think everyone has mentioned the ones I have read so far, all of them really good.
The Giver-Lois Lowry
The Hunger Games-Susanne Collins
Divergent-Veronica Roth
Isabell

Post by Isabell »

my favorite dystopian society book would be Animal Farm but if you are looking for newer dystopian novels i would try reading the Divergent series. It is young adult but the story line is worth it.
hira0000
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hira0000.html

Post by hira0000 »

1984, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World are some my favourite dystopian novels for having defined worlds that resonate in curious and certain prescient ways with what we are experiencing today. I have read a bit of 'A Handmaid's Tale' but for some reason or another I couldn't quite get into it at the time I was reading, hoping to read it again sometime.
Rnicole
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rnicole.html

Post by Rnicole »

My favorite book is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

With the popularity of dystopian novels I have read The Hunger Games Trilogy and thought they were well-written as well.
whybark
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whybark.html

Post by whybark »

The lathe of heaven by Ursula k. Lequin
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

For me, it has been a bit of a toss-up between Orwell's 1984, Lowry's The Giver, and Roth's Divergent - all for different reasons!
xzonia
Favorite Author: Theodore Sturgeon
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Sookie Stackhouse and Poker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xzonia.html

Post by xzonia »

As a general rule, dystopian novels are not my favorite types of stories to read. Still, I loved 1984, The Time Machine, The Planet of the Apes, and Fahrenheit 451. I hated Lord of the Flies (which I had to read for school) because of its extreme negativity and pessimism. The Planet of the Apes really surprised me with the quality of its writing and the ideas it put forth. I still believe the book's ending is better than the original movie's ending (that starred Charleston Heston), but the movie provided a great alternate ending to separate it from the book. Fahrenheit 451, like all of Ray Bradbury's works that I've read, is brilliant. If you haven't read it yet, put it on your to-do list. I find its ending to be hopeful though, which is part of why it appeals to me.

As a kid, I read several children's books by H. M. Hoover that provided dystopian futures in them, two of which were The Children of Morrow and This Time of Darkness. They're easy, fun reads, but have some dark ideas of how the future could have turned out post-nuclear war. Usually I watch the movie version of these types of stories rather than read them. I've seen The Handmaid's Tale, A Clockwork Orange, Mad Max, Logan's Run, Blade Runner, V for Vendetta, and I Am Legend. I do intend to read V for Vendetta someday, as the movie was great.

I'm more of an optimist by nature, and prefer the hopeful (more Utopian) imaginings found in stories like the novel More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon, or the original Star Trek universe. I always hope humanity will triumph over its darker nature.
EnjoiSkyler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjoiskyler.html

Post by EnjoiSkyler »

Does "V for Vendetta" or "The Watchmen" count? I know they're graphic novels but I think they deserve some credit. They could have easily been brilliant regular novels IMO.

Skyler
ajreader

Post by ajreader »

I absolutely love Wool by Hugh Howey. It's a trilogy, but the first book is my favorite.
aleks-kulik

Post by aleks-kulik »

Mine is Veronica Roth's Divergent or Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”