Online Book Clubs

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Online Book Clubs

Post by Misaela »

What has been the impact this website, or any other online book club for that matter, has had on your life/reading/library?

What has been your favorite book to review? Was it an e-book or traditional?

Personally, because of my almost 10-month-old and my final BA classes, I had almost stopped reading altogether. My sister-in-law (also a mother) reccomended this site, and I checked it out (hey, getting paid to read books...). I picked up reading again, and my favorite book to review so far was a free traditional book called Restoration.
heatherprzybyla
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherprzybyla.html

Post by heatherprzybyla »

I was reading a lot when my first was born. Now that I have two and am completing my BA and moving to my Masters I don't read as much except now recently. I think I needed to be able to designate time for myself and reading designates the fact that I can get paid for it too is a huge motivator.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I hope you both do well with your BAs. I use to read all the time. The I started work and slowed down my reading. Since starting my diploma, working, choir and band I found myself either re-reading old favourites or sticking to my favourite authors, Till I stopped reading altogether.

Since joining this site I have started reading more. Since joining I have been devouring many different types of books from different authors and genres. So I guess you could say this forum has given me the gift of reading back. I have not reviewed a book yet but have rated and discussed PUK TIME.
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

I just finished my BA in June, and am currently working. My reading has gone up, and I really enjoy reviewing books. Also, discussing them with fellow readers helps me get deeper into stories, which I like a lot.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

First off I came to some new (to me) authors because of the Forums - Jasper Fforde and Lisa Lutz to name but two.
I've added a couple of members here to my list of reliable reviewers & they are people whose recommendations I always follow up and they have never disappointed me.
I've enjoyed some interesting and enlightening discussions here especially a long running discussion on the works of David Mitchell.
Also, the Forums introduced me to the superb movies The Red Violin and The Man in the Glass Booth and many others I had overlooked and some I was familiar with but deserved another viewing.
And, of course, I've learned so much from the eclectic postings of Bighuey, suzy and many others ... and have had many a good laugh & a few good virtual nights in The Smugglers & The Online Pub.
All in all it's all been good ... especially the Chocolate! :mrgreen:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Post by AliceRose »

I've discovered books from the reviews on these forums that I wouldn't otherwise have read. It's also nice being able to discuss books and reading as I don't get to do it much at home - my partner isn't really a reader. :)
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

AliceRose wrote:I've discovered books from the reviews on these forums that I wouldn't otherwise have read. It's also nice being able to discuss books and reading as I don't get to do it much at home - my partner isn't really a reader. :)
I get you! My husband knows reading is good and that he should probably do it, but he gets distracted by everything! He prefers visual stimulation (Videos, movies, TV, etc.) But yes, I don't think I would ever read so much e-books and not-"Best Sellers" if it wasn't for this forum.
Starmy

Post by Starmy »

Ive also discovered a few books that are on my " To read " list due to this website. :-)
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

Misaela wrote:I just finished my BA in June, and am currently working. My reading has gone up, and I really enjoy reviewing books. Also, discussing them with fellow readers helps me get deeper into stories, which I like a lot.
Congratulations on finishing your BA
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

Zannie wrote:
Misaela wrote:I just finished my BA in June, and am currently working. My reading has gone up, and I really enjoy reviewing books. Also, discussing them with fellow readers helps me get deeper into stories, which I like a lot.
Congratulations on finishing your BA

Why thank you!
:D
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

I love this site so much, its great to be able to be able to read books I wouldnt have normally read, chat with people about books, its awesome :)
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

This site has given me the opportunity to talk about subject that have to do with reading in a setting that feels more close knit. With goodreads, there are too many users so your voice gets lost more in specific conversations.

My favorite book that I reviewed so far was an e-book called Neworld Papers.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Age777
Favorite Author: So many to choose...
Favorite Book: As if I could pick just one
Currently Reading: Sammi by W.D. County
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-age777.html
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County

Post by Age777 »

I already read a lot as I cannot sleep easily at night. Some of the ebooks I've read on here sucked but I've come across a few hidden gems as well.

I never would have read Artificial Absolutes by Mary Fan or Sammi by W. D. County without this site. I loved them both. Though I did not give Artificial Absolutes a four star I still really enjoyed it. It was predictable and a few other annoyances but I am still very glad to have read it. Sammi on the other hand was amazing despite the flaws. I am still blown away by how much I enjoyed it.

I love reading and I read a lot. I find this forces me to read things I wouldn't normally choose. In the end I enjoy the experience even if the material is not to my liking. I enjoy writing myself so seeing the problems other authors have with their works makes me realize what I need to improve in my own before it goes anywhere. The biggest lesson I've learned is DO NOT skip the proofreader portion of writing. Some of the mistakes are just so silly that a proofreader should easily catch. Not saying they are infallible and won't miss it either but they should catch the majority.

Anyway now I have an excuse to read where I don't need to feel guilty for taking the time. My hubby likes the idea of me being paid as I am currently an at home mom (work nights in summer). It also forces me to write more (which I love) even if it is only to do a review. Writing is writing after all. At least this (reviews in general) I know is going to be read even if nothing else I ever write is.
When you're wrong, your really wrong. When you're right, you're a pain in my a$$.
- by Me said originally to my hubby
Latest Review: "Sammi" by W.D. County
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

Age777 wrote:I already read a lot as I cannot sleep easily at night. Some of the ebooks I've read on here sucked but I've come across a few hidden gems as well.

Anyway now I have an excuse to read where I don't need to feel guilty for taking the time. My hubby likes the idea of me being paid...
I'm in the same position as you! A few books I've read here were okay, some I REALLY didn't wanna finish reading, but stuck with them just to know the ending, but two have marked me. The best one so far was Portrait, by Christina Gordan. It gave me goosebumps, and I fell inside the story. It was amazing.

Also, my hubby doesn't mind my reading, because it's for a good cause (our bank account!)
Sine_Ni_Ceallach
Currently Reading: The Iliad by Homer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sine-ni-ceallach.html

Post by Sine_Ni_Ceallach »

I joined this website a couple of weeks ago, and I'm already enjoying it. I'm working towards being able to do the reviews as well - just gotta get my post count up!
The website that really made me start getting back into reading was Goodreads. I loved that I was able to quickly scan my book's barcode with my phone, and then put them on my virtual read, currently-reading and to-read shelves from there. It made it extremely simple for me to keep track of which books I hadn't read yet, and having a list of books that I could work off of gave me the impetus to actually read them. I've also won 4 free hard copy books through their Firstreads program, which is pretty awesome!
"I could not be sure she was sane; and, in fact, there was a certain restless brilliancy about her eyes that half led me to imagine she was not." -Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”