Ever sneak a look at the end of a book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Ever sneak a look at the end of a book?

Post by MandiKenendy »

I have what could be described as a bad habit, one I picked up from my mother, of reading the end of a book when I'm half way through. I do it when I'm not sure if the book it going to go the way I want because I don't want to spend the whole book wishing for something that isn't going to happen. I don't do it in a crime novel and I try not to if I think it will spoil the ending. Sometimes if I want two characters to get together, I flick through the book to see if it will happen later.
Does anyone else do this or is it just me and my mother?
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

If reading a novel I don't really enjoy, I occasionally do this. If I'm then dissatisfied with the ending I sometimes skim to the end.
Token conservative
kaitleighbaby25

Post by kaitleighbaby25 »

I never read the end of a book. It would ruin the whole book and I won't read it. My mom did that with the last harry potter book and she like I know what's going to happen. it was horrible.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Sometimes if its a book I dont like.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

kaitleighbaby25 wrote:I never read the end of a book. It would ruin the whole book and I won't read it. My mom did that with the last harry potter book and she like I know what's going to happen. it was horrible.
Your mom did that with Harry Potter? Huh. I actually had a problem with #7. It seemed like such a departure from the other books--no Hogwarts classes, everything was too stressful and intense, etc. I made it halfway through and then just gave up. I more or less know what happens in the end from hearing things. I wonder if your mom was having the same problem I was? (I also wonder if I'll ever get it read? It's not looking good.)

To answer the question, I never skip to the end. However, if I really hate a book, I'll go online and read Amazon reviews about it that usually give an indication of the ending. (And to see if anyone agrees with me about the book.) 'Cause at that point, I don't really care if I find out!
9bit
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: 1984
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by 9bit »

I sometimes feel a horrible impulse to do so.

I forget what it's called, but some people get this when on high ledges: a sudden a strong impulse to jump off. I also have that, and I think it's related to the book thing.

I've done it a few times and never been happy about it. I haven't done it for years, though. If I'm not enjoying a book I just stop reading, I don't check the ending.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

9bit wrote:I sometimes feel a horrible impulse to do so.

I forget what it's called, but some people get this when on high ledges: a sudden a strong impulse to jump off. I also have that, and I think it's related to the book thing.

I've done it a few times and never been happy about it. I haven't done it for years, though. If I'm not enjoying a book I just stop reading, I don't check the ending.
I presume you mean sneaking a look at the end of a book not the jumping off high ledges bit! :wink:

As for myself, I often read the cover for a general idea of the type of book but I never, ever sneak a look at the ending, wouldn't see any point at all in doing that. I'm way more interested in how an author developes a storyline or character/s rather than the actual ending alone.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Zepher07
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Alices Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Hound of the Baskervilles
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Zepher07 »

I've done this once or twice when I was younger and regretted it. It's way better if the ending is a suprise.

What I have done several times though, is flip to the back of the book to make sure that a character I like is still alive at the end. It's just a quick check to make sure thier name is still there and they have some dialougue. It's silly but I can't help it.
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

When I am at the library browsing through the books I will often read the back cover and the first page just to get a feel for it, see if it takes my fancy, but can honestly say I have never read the last page first.
It would be like eating your banoffee pie and custard before your roast beef and then finishing off with soup. :shock:
varnish7
Currently Reading: The Quiche of Death
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by varnish7 »

I've snuck a look at the end of a book every once in a while. It's usually when a character is in some sort of trouble, and I want to see if he or she survives whatever predicament they're currently in. I've never seen it as that big of a deal. Even if I know what happens at the end of a book, I still don't know how it's going to reach that point. For me, it's kind of comforting to know what I have to look forward to. Besides, if the book is good enough to read over again, then you're going to know how it ends the next time you read it anyway.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Coming from a family of book peekers, I've witnessed this first hand. They explain their actions thus: "If I like the ending, I'll read the book". What? No way! The ending isn't a prologue. I don't want to know the end until its time has come. It's the whole story and nothing but the story otherwise there wouldn't be an ending. Also I hate it when they say smugly "Just wait until you get to the end, you'll..." and that's when I throw a cushion or handy utensil at them.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Maud Fitch wrote:Coming from a family of book peekers, I've witnessed this first hand. They explain their actions thus: "If I like the ending, I'll read the book". What? No way! The ending isn't a prologue. I don't want to know the end until its time has come. It's the whole story and nothing but the story otherwise there wouldn't be an ending. Also I hate it when they say smugly "Just wait until you get to the end, you'll..." and that's when I throw a cushion or handy utensil at them.
@Maud
So pleased you don't throw the book Maud :lol: :lol:
BTW I love the new avatar ... clearly a book loving doggie. Could you get him/her away from the book long enough to set him/her on the scent of our missing mate Gannon? :(
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
A24

Post by A24 »

Kingman has been pretty low-key as well!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
hmetheridge
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmetheridge.html

Post by hmetheridge »

I have never thus far. If I don't like a book, even if I am already half way through, I just stop reading it. Then, it's on to the next.
glattml
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glattml.html

Post by glattml »

GASP! No! But I also never peek at Christmas presents either--even if I know EXACTLY where they are stashed :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”