How does everyone feel about Fan Fiction?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Re: How does everyone feel about Fan Fiction?

Post by scriptbunny »

Honestly I don't have any problem with fanfiction in the abstract, but I do find the quality of writing in most fan fiction to be lacking.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
anomalocaris
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

You're spot on, there! The vast majority is atrocious. Then again, the vast majority of what gets self-pubbed on Kindle is just at bad, and they're taking money for it. There are a couple of really good writers in the fan fic stuff. Always makes me wonder why they're wasting their time there, when they obviously have the talent for "real" writing. Some of them have told me that it's because they enjoy writing, but struggle with creating worlds and characters.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
munchkin28
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-munchkin28.html

Post by munchkin28 »

I feels it's a good way to read about your favourite characters in different situations. It's surprising how many people think and feel as you do. Despite loving a novel or show or movie, there are always alternative events people want to read about.
PsudonymRed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psudonymred.html

Post by PsudonymRed »

Fan Fiction rocks but is also quite daunting. Im always a little afraid of what I will find. We need more people out there who post APPROPRIATE fan fiction. Its cool to have some adult topics in some fianfics but I feel like thats all you ever find.
Nimbus Wolfsbane
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimbus-wolfsbane.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Nimbus Wolfsbane »

i think it is a good thing. It helps if you are not really ready to say goodbye to a book or craving the next book in a series that is not released yet.
With each page you turn another life you live...
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by sybil1reader »

I have not read Fan Fiction before. Can someone recommend something good for my first time?
anomalocaris
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html

Post by anomalocaris »

Depends on what you're interested in. It's generally based on TV shows, so there wouldn't be much point to reading it, unless it were connected to a TV series you like.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
sybil1reader
Favorite Author: All crime authors
Favorite Book: Too Many to name
Currently Reading: CJ Lyons
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sybil1reader.html

Post by sybil1reader »

I like crime TV shows quite a bit. How do I find fan fiction on something like that? I must admit that this is my first time hearing of fan fiction and I'm always up for something new.
Luthien14

Post by Luthien14 »

I think fan fiction is great. It gives people the freedom to expand on and explore the worlds and characters of their favorite books and movies etc. It gives the writers a more creative way to express their love for these stories as well as giving the readers a greater incite into what other fans think of their favorite stories.
I once found a section on a fan fiction website dedicated to writing adventures of the surviving Harry Potter characters to go on after book 7 and my god some of them were hilarious.
maddieee_lynnn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddieee-lynnn.html

Post by maddieee_lynnn »

Usually i try to stick to regular books but occasionally i will stumble across an interesting Fan Fiction. I understand the controversy surrounding the genre regarding the use of the same characters but i do support it. Just like any other genre, Fan Fiction deserves equal literary respect. It is still a form of creative writing that takes time and effort and deserves credit. I do not support any kind of "bashing" of any form of literary work but creative criticism should always be welcomed. In order to truly enjoy Fan Fiction you must first understand the fandom and what it stands for.
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

Good when a series ending is lacking
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I use to steer clear of it. But look at how much it benefited E.L James. So i'm less inclined to write it off and if I per chance were to stumble across one... I would read it and treat it with the same scrutiny I would a normal fiction
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
thenameisZelda
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thenameiszelda.html
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik

Post by thenameisZelda »

I don't like fanfics. That's just me. Far too often I see people insert themselves as the main character's love interest. Or they start writing things that just don't follow any premise for the original story. The example I tend to use is Doctor Who. I see people putting themselves as the Doctor's newest companion, whom he later falls in love with. For me, if I wrote a Doctor Who fanfic I know darn well I'm not going to be his main companion. There's no way. I'm no Rose. I'm no Donna. I know full well I'm a Sally Sparrow. My path may cross his, but only for a short time. He isn't going to fall in love with me and whisk me off to see new places. I guess I like my fanfics to follow some reality. Most of the fanfics I've seen are complete fantasy (personal fantasy, not in the good way) and I'm just not a fan of that.
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik
ghostpixie
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghostpixie.html
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods

Post by ghostpixie »

I got my online writing start from fan fiction. I love it- I think it's a great creative outlet. Plus, it's extremely popular, so it's a nice way, I think, to get one's writing style out there, if that makes sense.
Latest Review: "The Dirt Bible" by Wiilliam Woods
LoremasterTappa
Favorite Author: Christie Golden
Favorite Book: Depends on the week
Currently Reading: War Crimes by Christie Golden
fav_author_id: 4515

Post by LoremasterTappa »

I myself have written some fanfic based off of games I play. That being said, I enjoy any good story. I know there are some rave reviews about G Norman Lippert's follow up to Harry Potter, involving Harry and Ginny's son, James. I havent' read them yet but plan to soon.
"Without books as our anchors, we are cast adrift, neither teaching nor learning. They are windows on the past, mirrors on the present, and prisms reflected all possible futures. Books are lighthouses erected on the dark sea of time.”
― Greg Weisman

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”