Name The Scariest Books That You've Ever Read!

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
NancyET
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Name The Scariest Books That You've Ever Read!

Post by NancyET »

I recently read Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons, after reading that Stephen King considered it one of the three best horror novels of the twentieth century. Although I don't know what the other two novels are, I agree with Mr. King that it is one the scariest books I've read. It's a long book, around 900 pages I think, and I stayed on the edge of my seat throughout them all.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

"The Hot Zone." A true story about an Ebola outbreak that scared the heck out of me when I read it in high school.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

GKCfan wrote:"The Hot Zone." A true story about an Ebola outbreak that scared the heck out of me when I read it in high school.
That one is a good one! Er, I mean a bad one. Oh, you know what I mean. :roll:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I am getting some pretty disturbing mental images after reading the title The Demon in the Freezer. However, I am also becoming very curious, so I may have to check it out.

Okay, everyone might laugh at me, but the all-time scariest books I've ever read are the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series. Those creepy pictures kept me awake so many nights of my childhood!!! The first time I ever checked one of them out from my school's library I couldn't fall asleep because I was afraid that those pictures were going to come to life, crawl out of my backpack, and torture me to death! I was too ashamed to tell anybody that I was being spooked by pictures, so nobody ever knew. Even as a grown woman, I shudder at the memory of how frightened I was. Stephen King has got nothing on the illustrator of those drawings!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
alexandrakay87
Currently Reading: Short Shorts
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by alexandrakay87 »

The scariest book I've read to date is "The Exorcist". I read it my sophomore year of college, alone in my room before bed and it always gave me nightmares and the all around "heebie-jeebies". :shock:
TinkKittyhawk

Post by TinkKittyhawk »

I'm quietly writing down everyone's suggestions for Halloween, haha. I don't think my choice is necessarily 'scary' but more eerie, I'd go with We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. Downright creepy and forboding atmosphere.
For non-fiction I'm going to say Spillover by David Quammen. It discusses animal infections and how certain pathogens spread into humans and wreak havoc. Truly scary and realistic stuff.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I thought Goosebumps were scary... back in the day. Ha! What do I know?? Hahahahah!
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

When I was younger, the 'Goosebumps' series and the 'Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark' series.
As an adult, 'The Ritual' by Adam Nevill and 'The Demonologist' by Andrew Pyper.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

PRETA's REALM : THE HAUNTING by J. Thorn. I just did a review on it. If anyone reads or has read it please share your thoughts.. I am still trying to recover.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

TammyO wrote:PRETA's REALM : THE HAUNTING by J. Thorn. I just did a review on it. If anyone reads or has read it please share your thoughts.. I am still trying to recover.
Now I really want to read this if it scared you enough to write about it here! :D
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

The Horrorscape series by Nenia Campbell were very creepy! The book series is about a stalker who follows a young woman from age of 14 to 19 years old with the thrill escalating in each book. I grew up on Steven King, so it takes a lot to be thriller and this series sets the bar for me.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
sarahmeeks
Currently Reading: Outside The Ropes
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarahmeeks »

The Chronicles of Madness by Michael Sidden. This book is not for the faint of heart! My God it is brutal and it took me a while to finish because there were parts so disturbing I was literally freaking out as I was reading it. I could see a lot of people hating it because if it's brutality, but honestly it is the most terrifying book I have ever read. The last story alone would be enough to give you nightmares, especially because the last story is written as one really long poem and it gets in your head bad. This is how I discovered the author as I randomly picked it up when it was a special free weekend and I am glad I did. I have read a lot of horror, especially from Scott Sigler, but nothing has ever affected me the way this one did. I'll stop there because I can't recommend it in good faith due to it's brutal murders, but if you're a fan of that type thing then you should check it out. If not, I advise to stay far away because it stays with you for a while.
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

The Shining
Cujo
Something Wicked This Way Comes (when I was in junior high)

In that order
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

When I was 13, I checked The Exorcist (William Peter Blatty) out from the library. I think that book terrified me. Of course, I don't know which was scarier, the book, or my mother's reaction when she found me reading it. As an adult it isn't nearly as frightening, but as a young teenager it did keep me up at night.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”