Bookaholc's quirks

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
GotThatSwing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Bookaholc's quirks

Post by GotThatSwing »

Do you people smell books? :D
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

Fran wrote:I thought I was neurotic about books & reading until I read some of these posts .... now I feel almost normal
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The one I really have a hard time with is getting a book you've been dying to read and then leaving it set for a long time before you read it. If it were me I'd dive right in even if I was already in the midst of another book..I'd finish that one later. There's always another great book on the horizon! However to each his own. What a boring world it would be if everyone did things the same way.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

GotThatSwing wrote:Do you people smell books? :D
Guilty ... love the smell of new print, not that gone on smelling old books though :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
MaryV1971
Favorite Author: Joyce Carol Oates
Favorite Book: Foxfire Joyce Carol Oates
Currently Reading: Torch by Cheryl Strayed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maryv1971.html
fav_author_id: 4458

Post by MaryV1971 »

Geneen Karstens wrote:
Fran wrote:I thought I was neurotic about books & reading until I read some of these posts .... now I feel almost normal
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The one I really have a hard time with is getting a book you've been dying to read and then leaving it set for a long time before you read it. If it were me I'd dive right in even if I was already in the midst of another book..I'd finish that one later. There's always another great book on the horizon! However to each his own. What a boring world it would be if everyone did things the same way.
Lol, that was me. I often prolong the pleasure of books that I truly want to read. I anticipate that the book I love will eventually have to end and imagine how sad I will be to see it end and how I will then face the conundrum of choosing another book to read after the first, beloved one is over - before I even start the one I have fantasized about. I only do this with books I am intensely looking forward to. It is rather sadomasochistic actually now that I think about it.

If you will recall, in Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," Charlie gets the gold wrapped chocolate piece and only looks at it for a long time before eventually peeling back one tiny bit of the foil at a time. It takes him a long time to get to eat that chocolate, by his own choice. He prolongs the pleasure. I liken it to that.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

When I was a kid I would get carsick reading in a moving car, dont know if it would affect me now or not.
I use anything for bookmarks, pieces of scrap paper, old envelopes, grocery store receipts, napkins, business cards, anything.
I used to dog-ear books when I was a kid until my mother kicked my butt.
I read books no matter what kind of shape they are in, water stained, pages coming out, covers gone, mouldy books, Ive got a few held together with rubber bands, even an old, old, recipe and home remedy book printed in 1863 that is tied together with a ladies nylon stocking. As long as I can read it, I dont care.
I used to read in a cemetery, it was quiet and relaxing.
My wife and I once read Felix Saltens Bambi out loud to each other, taking turns at each chapter.
Ive never read in the bathtub.
I sometimes read 2 or 3 books at a time, but as I get older I found its can be confusing.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Trix9201
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trix9201.html
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont

Post by Trix9201 »

I collect old and rare books. I love the sense of history that comes with used books especially old dedications. But, please no one write in a book you give me.

I never give away a book I received as a gift.
I never turn a book upside down to hold a place because it makes the book sad (it looks like a frown).

I no longer write in books (My university books are marked, highlighted, and underlined to within an inch of their lives.). But, I keep a reader's journal with detailed notes.

I usually have one novel and one other book on the go at once (poems, essays, short stories).
I either read the book or see the movie - never both since "Gone with the Wind".
I love the smell of books.
I sit in bookstores for hours reading and sifting through books.
I read one e-book then a traditional book then back to an e-book.
I can never read a classic book in e-book format - it feels sinful.

I collect quirky bookmarks. My 2 favourites are one of a mermaid my daughter drew that was her first recognizable picture and the second "Nose for a good book" - Cyrano - it is magnetized - such a great idea.

My books are organized by genre and alphabetized by author.
If someone bends the cover back on a book it makes me physical uncomfortable.
I finish every book I start regardless of whether I am enjoying it or not - I don't know why.
I read aloud to myself, my husband, and my little girls.
I memorize quotes that I love.
I take book jackets off to read my book.
My house is always tidy I hate clutter but my bedside table is heaped with stacks of books and notes and journals.

I read on my lunch break at work, when I walk, in the car, in the tub (bath tub books only - you know the non-intellectual, sentimental, grocery store paperback type), and until I fall asleep at night.

I gave up satellite TV in order spend that money on buying books.
If all I ever got for Christmas or birthdays, I'd be perfectly happy. I love books as gifts...even if it isn't my "cup of tea" you picked it for me and I appreciate the thought.
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont
lmmarley

Post by lmmarley »

I read everything, literally, even in other languages that I don't understand (and don't know if I'm pronouncing correctly).
I use bookmarks or any other pieces of paper that are handy.
I love to read in the bath. I've only dropped one book in the tub in 40 years.
I have a book with me all the time, even in the car in case I have to wait somewhere.
I read several books at a time, one by my bed, one in the bathroom, one in the car, one in the living room, etc.
I don't pay for any TV service, I read instead.
I love the smell of books.
I like reading the covers, I spend waiting time in airports doing that.
My son and I frequently read aloud to each other, he is 13 and he usually chooses the book.
I like to read kids' books.
If my son isn't home, I sometimes read aloud to the dog.
I love to read outside in the sun.
I like all genres, except horror.
KimB0416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimb0416.html

Post by KimB0416 »

9 out of 10 times I will have a book in a bag with me.
While traveling for more than 30 minutes I will bring a book with me to read. (assuming of course that i am not driving)
A good hour or more after a reading session anything I think of is thought as if I was reading it off the page. This includes the format in which the author is talking. (i.e. if the book is in third person, my thoughts are in third person. Or if I am reading Jane Austen and 17th century speak, my thoughts are in 17th century speak.)
I visit my local library once a week to see what is new.
I get as excited as a kid in a candy store does; every time one of my favorite authors comes out with a new novel.

That's all I can think of right now.
Kellster86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellster86.html

Post by Kellster86 »

When I'm reading, I fan my face with the pages just so I can smell the book - LOVE the smell of books!
I use little pieces of paper as book marks.
NEVER fold the pages.
Zepher07
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Alices Adventures in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Hound of the Baskervilles
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Zepher07 »

I feel sacrilegious. I dog ear my books. I always loose bookmarks or bits of paper
My books are a bit dishevelled because I take them everywhere.
I read in the bath
I read during my fifteen minute breaks at work.
I usually read more than one book at a time. Different genres tickle my fancy at random moments.
Instead of shopping for clothes to relieve stress, I go to a bookstore.

Can't think of more but I a sure there are others.
mississippigirl13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mississippigirl13.html

Post by mississippigirl13 »

I love reading anywhere
read and swing
read and listen to music
Heidi76
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: Dead Until Dark
Bookshelf Size: 196

Post by Heidi76 »

Well, I love to eat while I read, and read while I eat :D
I love the smell and feel of a new book.
I use odd pieces of paper as bookmarks.
I read while I cook.
I read when I´m out with my cat (he´s a sacred birman, I don´t let him out alone) I´m probably known in my neighborhood as the weird woman reading in the forest, by the road, all over the place..
I love to just look at my books..
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night. Until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade. All shall fade. All shall fade. /JRR Tolkien, Peregrin Took
carolsue

Post by carolsue »

I, too, use paperclips for bookmarks, but I used the plastic ones that don't mark the pages. Too many times I have dropped a book and the bookmark fell out and I didn't know what page I was on.

I once had a panic attack because I didn't have a book to read, it was late at night so I ran out to a local convenience store and bought one. Now I make sure I have several books on hand.

I cannot read more than one book at a time.

I can read in a moving vehicle but only if we're traveling on a highway. Not on a winding country road.

I love to read and watch TV at the same time. When something gets interesting on TV I take a moment to watch, then go back to my book during commercials. DH will walk in the room and change the channel. Grrrrr!

I read printed books and also have 2 e-readers. I love that I can go online any time of the night or day and get a book for my e-reader.

I cannot read a book more than once. I have bought used books, only to get them home and start reading only to realize that I have already read it.

The only book I have not passed on to someone else is ""The Secret Garden." That was the first book I ever read as a chld and it has sentimental value.
goldengate
Favorite Author: Truman Capote
Favorite Book: Music for Chameleons
Currently Reading: Tipping the Velvet -The Sixth Extinction
Reading Device: B01M6YJEAH
fav_author_id: 2834

Post by goldengate »

* I ALWAYS have a book that I am reading
* I rarely read more than one book.
* I almost always finish a book - though if the author is torturing me - I may give it up...
* I never, never, never turn down a page of a book
* Nor do I flop them down page open to save my page - that ruins the spine of a book...
* I have tons of books (both read and unread) in my personal library.
*Jorge Luis Borges said "I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of Library." I agree so am building a home library with well loved well read books and books waiting to be read.
*I now have a Nook so I can read current books without having to find something to do with them after I have finished.
*All books do not go into my library - only ones I particularly enjoyed and feel I might want to read again.
*If I read a book on my Nook and really like it, I can get a copy for my library - preferably a signed, first edition.
*I hate to sell my books. When I first started collecting I thought it might be a good way to make some extra cash but after selling my entire signed Vonnegut collection and a signed Music for Chameleons by Capote - I discovered I REALLY hate selling my books.
* I despise having books smelling of mold or smoke in my shelves. If I can't get the smell out, I get rid of the book...
* Although it bugs me to read a library book that has obviously been read multiple times (it is a germ thing) I don't feel the same about my collection.
* I will, rarely, lend books because I have had books returned in poor condition and some were never returned.
* Many of my collection are classics - books I always meant to read but have not gotten around to.
* I would never read while in the tub. I'd be deathly afraid of getting the book moist. I keep my bookshelves away from water and in areas where sunlight does not hit them directly.
* Nor would I read while cooking for the same reason - I'd be afraid of getting liquid or schmootz on them...
* I always have a book with me in case I find a moment to read.
* I often reread books and love the things I find in a second reading I did not see the first time through.
* I tend to use cash register receipts for book marks - though many of my leather books have bookmarks bound in which I use when possible
* As I age I sometimes wonder what will become of my collection after I have "moved on". I assume my partner will have them auctioned - which is fine with me. I feel my collection is for me - something I am doing 'cause it makes me happy but the thought of my books spreading back through the "Book World" eventually seems appropriate. I have no one to leave them to... except my partner who is not into my library as I am.
* I am sure there are many more book quirks, these are the ones that come readily to mind

This is an interesting thread. Some folks have similar quirks and some are entirely different...
"I have always imagined Paradise to be a sort of Library." Jorge Louis Borges
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

I don't have much time but I'll name a few of the major ones:
- Never fold pages
- Check the pages of a chapter before reading
- Always reading 2 books at once
- Always take a book with me
- Make my own bookmarks, never buy them

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”