Bookaholc's quirks

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
eliza617
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliza617.html

Re: Bookaholc's quirks

Post by eliza617 »

I try to always have a book with me in a bag. It is harder now because I have small children and I have to haul so much stuff around for them that sometimes I forget to pack a book. But I always buy purses that are large enough to keep a book inside.
I almost never remember to use a bookmark; I have to just remember where I left off and find my place again. I wish I could make myself get into a bookmark habit.
I do like reading book covers but I don't think I've ever spent hours at it.
I like reading all kinds of books out loud. Especially if there are characters with foreign accents; I like to do the accents.
I am always reading 3 or 4 books at a time. At least.
I have a mess everywhere. I try to organize my bookshelves and then the people I live with (my husband, my children) unorganize them for me.
I don't think I'm capable of reading and walking at the same time.
I can't read in the car; it makes me carsick. I don't have that problem on planes so I love to travel by plane.
I don't worry about how many pages are in a chapter unless I am trying to determine the point at which I absolutely, positively, definitely MUST put the book down and go to bed.
As a kid and a teenager, I re-read books all the time. My mom used to tell people about it, as though it was something really weird about me, but I never thought it was strange at all. I don't do it very often now though.
serenity01

Post by serenity01 »

I carry a book with me all the time.
I use a book mark
I like to read in a quiet enviroment, though it's not always possible.
I never re- read a book, so I trade them in,
When I'm getting towards the end of a book, I have to get another,so I always have one to read.
I also read newspapers and magazines.
I like to read in the bathtub.
:)
Tcrawford90

Post by Tcrawford90 »

-I usually read more than 1 book at a time because I just can't wait and can't decide which one to read
-I don't read very many series but I would like to
-I read while walking, riding in a car, taking a bath, laying out. Pretty much anywhere I can sneak in a couple minutes of reading in my day to day life
-I just can't get rid of my books but I am more than happy to let people borrow them if they would like
-I can pretty much read in any environment if the book is good enough
-I almost never re-read books
-I am very proud of my book collection and can't wait to make it even larger
-I don't buy brand new books very often. Most of my books I buy at the library or garage sales, even used off of Amazon because I love to see the little notes people made while reading
-I panic if I don't have a book nearby and usually have a backup just in case I didn't like the first one
-I have to have a book in my hand in order to read, the whole e-book thing just isn't for me

I must admit it made me feel a little bit better after reading your posts. Now I know I am not the only one who feels this way! :D
Sari58

Post by Sari58 »

I have books all over my house and car.
I always have a book in my purse. You just never know when your going to have to wait somewhere and reading makes teh time pass so much more quickly.
I use anything I can get my hands on for bookmarks. Pieces of paper, business cards, pictures, you name it.
I have a really difficult time getting rid of my books even though I know that I rarely pick up the same book a second time.
I like having a lot of books around even if I know that it may be a long time before I read them.
I am always picking up new books at thrift stores, book sales, etc.. even though I already have a ton of books to read at home.
I can not read in the car because it makes me car sick but I wish I could.
And I almost always have several books around the house that I've started reading but put down and forgot about until I find them again and begin reading where I left off.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

I have stacks of books on my end table...bed side table...piano...

I always carry a book in my purse for "wait time"...tried to go to Kindle but just not as satisfying as paper.

I like amazing bookmarks. My favorite was from my late husband. A Mikimoto silver bookmark with a single dangle pearl.

I utilize the library a lot. I also love second hand bookstores. So much character in old books.

I enjoy traveling a lot and always bring a couple of books with me.

I always have a couple of books going at a time. Usually one Fiction and one of Poetry or Non-Fiction.

I love the feel and smell of an old leather-bound book and foxed paper.

I love to buy a used book and find little notes scribbled by a previous owner in the borders :)

Sometimes I scribble there, too...
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Thats something that really bugs me. Notes and scribbling in books. I bought a paperbound used copy of Virgil's Aeneid a while back, its a fascinating book but it must have belonged to a student or somebody like that. Sentences were underlined, it had all kinds of margin notes and was a mess. It really distracts from the reading of it. Luckily it was only the first third of the book that was messed up.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
leannemays
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leannemays.html

Post by leannemays »

I could spend hours in a bookstore and love running my hands over the covers and that new book smell!
brm30180
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brm30180.html
Latest Review: "Lynna's Rogue" by Kitty Margo

Post by brm30180 »

I always have a book with me, even if it's just a $.99 book on my smart phone.
I don't think I even own a bookmark, I always just use a scrap of paper or whatever I can find- I've even used a rubberband in small paperbacks and it works good!
I always have 2 books going at once- one physical book and one e-book.
I'm really bad at chewing my nails while I read so I have a really nice pair of leather gloves I try to wear while reading so I don't do that.
I just had my really nice "forever" bookshelves installed, so my books are pretty disorganized right now, but working on it!
I can read a book anywhere, and usually do.
And the thing that usually gets me the strangest looks...I've been implementing a categorization method of my books using different colored ribbons. I have a journal with a pink ribbon for a bookmark and I thought to myself "what a good idea!" so I started putting a ribbon in all my books. Then I was looking at my shelves and thinking "what if the ribbon color MEANT something?!" Sooooo... now my very favorite books have pink ribbon (my fav. color), books I hate are black ribbons, books. I'm neutral on are yellow, religious books are white, fantasy in this sparkly turquoise, non-fiction is blue, trashy romance is red...I think that's about it! Now you all know how I keep my obsessive compulsive tendencies under control!
Latest Review: "Lynna's Rogue" by Kitty Margo
esawyer
Favorite Book: Daytripper by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba
Currently Reading: Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai

Post by esawyer »

I purposefully search for school books with highlighting so I can figure out other people's important parts. To that degree, I always highlight in my books. Occasionally I write in the margins.

For pleasure: I have separate bookmarks for my graphic novels and my regular fiction. I usually can't keep track of more than one book at once unless they're monthly comic books and even then storylines get confused.

If it's sunny I feel obligated to read outside, but I get distracted easily so I don't actually get that far or as far as I'd like into the novel.

I think I did more entertaining things while reading as a child... like reading in a closet with a flashlight or upside down for no real reason.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

@ esawyer, I hope youre not the one who highlighted and put margin notes my copy of Virgil's Aeneid, if so you got some very colorful new names. :lol: :lol:
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
esawyer

Post by esawyer »

Bighuey wrote:I hope youre not the one who highlighted and put margin notes my copy of Virgil's Aeneid, if so you got some very colorful new names.
Haha! It's more like books on theory or history. Stuart Hall, Kathleen Stewart, Randy Duncan & Matthew J. Smith, etc.
The last time I highlighted a work of fiction was in high school. I shudder every time I see my notes on A Clockwork Orange!
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I suppose for school you have to do that.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

My bookaholic quirks are a comfortable chair and a quiet room. This doesn't always happen but I get maximum enjoyment from a good book if it does. Also I never see reading as a lonely pursuit; does this count as a quirk?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
esawyer

Post by esawyer »

Bighuey wrote:I suppose for school you have to do that.
Unfortunate sometimes...
tjbr52

Post by tjbr52 »

I wait until books go for pennies on Amazon when they won't send them to me in Thailand then I cry to the author and get sent a free scribed copy.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”