Bookaholc's quirks

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Re: Bookaholic's quirks

Post by Gannon »

Maud Fitch wrote:My bookaholic quirks are a comfortable chair and a quiet room. This doesn't always happen but I get maximum enjoyment from a good book if it does. Also I never see reading as a lonely pursuit; does this count as a quirk?
I agree with you Maud. I always find it better reading if I am in a quiet place. Also I love it outside on the veranda when it is raining, with a nice cup of coffee. I love it when it is cold, and you know that where we live it very rarely gets cold. :cry:
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Tralala
Favorite Author: Hubert Selby Jr.
Favorite Book: Retro Hell
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2789

Post by Tralala »

Gannon wrote: I love it when it is cold, and you know that where we live it very rarely gets cold. :cry:
Yeah, rub it in, Gannon. It's 9 degrees (F) in Wisconsin...you're welcome to visit any time.

I've started to collect "found" bookmarks...bookmarks that are left in the used books that I've bought. So far I've got a transpass from 1983 (in Jon Longhi's "Wake Up and Smell the Beer"), an 'out of order' slip (in Toni Morrison's "Beloved"), a cute guy cut from a Cosmo subscription card (in Bret Easton Ellis's "The Informers"), a library check-out card from 1992 (in Graham Greene's "Travels With My Aunt"), and an ad for art posters with a copy of Klimt's 'Tree of Life' (in Fannie Flagg's "Standing in the Rainbow"). The Klimt ad got me started, 'cause I've got that print hanging in my living room.
How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure.
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Tralala wrote:
Gannon wrote: I love it when it is cold, and you know that where we live it very rarely gets cold. :cry:
Yeah, rub it in, Gannon. It's 9 degrees (F) in Wisconsin...you're welcome to visit any time.

I've started to collect "found" bookmarks...bookmarks that are left in the used books that I've bought. So far I've got a transpass from 1983 (in Jon Longhi's "Wake Up and Smell the Beer"), an 'out of order' slip (in Toni Morrison's "Beloved"), a cute guy cut from a Cosmo subscription card (in Bret Easton Ellis's "The Informers"), a library check-out card from 1992 (in Graham Greene's "Travels With My Aunt"), and an ad for art posters with a copy of Klimt's 'Tree of Life' (in Fannie Flagg's "Standing in the Rainbow"). The Klimt ad got me started, 'cause I've got that print hanging in my living room.
Oh man that would be so COOL (get it, cool). I know, I know, very lame. :D :D :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

That sounds interesting. Ive found everything from feathers to receipts from places that went out of business 50 years ago. I even found a mining stock certificate in a book one time. Sadly, it was worthless.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
esawyer
Favorite Book: Daytripper by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba
Currently Reading: Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai

Post by esawyer »

@Tralala
Maybe you're the one who has my favorite book mark that's gone missing! I used it primarily for graphic novels. My girlfriend made it for me... so the losing of it has left me quite flustered. I'm almost at the point where I'm going to go through all of my books to find it!
read4fun

Post by read4fun »

I can't stand bent and messed up pages and only uses scraps of paper for bookmarks
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

I prefer to read while I'm listening to music. I can multitask listening to the lyrics and concentrating on the words, but most of the time I just hear the beat and concentrate on the words. Sometimes I can relate a song that I like that fits in with the theme of the book.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
MeTime

Post by MeTime »

I refuse to fold corners or write in any book.
I don't like to see any writing by anyone else in any book or it distracts me.
If I like certain lines I will rewrite them with the page # into notebooks or type them up.
I don't often use a bookmark; I used to remember the page. Now if I don't use one I try to find what looks familiar and then reread a little to get back into it.
I have sometimes been so excited to read something that I've left the library with nothing because I was overwhelmed with the selection.
Other times I'm so excited to read I'll take out 4 books and can barely finish one
I love to reread good books; I can't believe how many details I forget, and also life changes so much that things strike me differently every time I read them.
I don't like when they modernize or change the covers of books I've loved.
There are certain books I refused to see the movie for, like The Fountainhead with Gary Cooper, and Simon Birch which I think was loosely based on A Prayer for Owen Meaney. I am tempted to see The Fountainhead now though, since it's been 20 years since I read the book and I like old movies. Although of course I reread it 2 or 3 times but it's been a while......
Brittneyapalooza

Post by Brittneyapalooza »

I could never read "just one chapter" at a time.
I make my own book marks when I lose them.
I never fold pages. Ever.
It's easier for me to focus on reading if I have music playing.
Jessie83

Post by Jessie83 »

I always take a book with me everywhere.
I normally only read one book at a time.
I always finish a book.
I ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER turn down the page of a book, I have been known to almost tear someone's eyes out for doing this in front of me.
I own lots of books, most of which I haven't read yet.
I own an e-reader but still read both on that or in paper.
I read while the tv is on, it doesn't bother me. Allows me to enjoy hubby's company while he watches tv and I read, peace reigns in the house.
I love the new and old book smell and yes I smell books.
The Library and bookshops both secondhand and new are my favourite places in the world, and I can spend hours in there and not notice how much time has passed.
I don't lend my books although I will recommend them.
I use any piece of paper I can find as a bookmark or I remember where I'm up to as I finish at the end of the chapter.
I read in the bath, one of my favourite things to do.
I like pristine pages in a new book, and get upset if I mark the page.
I have thought of bequeathing my books to someone when I pass.
I enjoy audiobooks while travelling to work
I love cold and wet days as it is perfect time to curl up with my book, not that you need a perfect time
I have often thought about getting a quote that I read tattooed.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

The bookaholic to beat all bookaholics.

Dabshelim, King of India, had so numerous a library, that a hundred brachmans were scarcely sufficient to keep it in order,and it required a thousand dromedaries to transport it from one place to another. As he was not able to read all of these books, he proposed to the brachmans to make extracts from them of the best and most useful of their contents.These learned personages went so heartily to work, that in less than twenty years they had compiled of all these extracts a little encyclopedia of twelve thousand volumes, which thirty camels could carry with ease. They presented them to the king, but what was their amazement to hear him say that it was impossible for him to read thirty camel-loads of books. They therefore reduced their extracts to fifteen, afterwards to ten, then to four, then to two dromedaries, and at last there only remained enough to load a mule of ordanary size.

Unfortunately, Dabshelim, during this process of melting down his library, grew old, and saw no probability of living long enough exhaust its quintessence to the last volume. "Illustrious Sultan," said his vizier, "Though I have but a very imperfect knowledge of your royal library,yet I will undertake to deliver you a very brief and satisfactory abstract of it. You shal read it through in one minute, and yet you will find matter in it to reflect upon throughout the rest of your life." Having said this, Pilpay took a palm leaf, and wrote upon it these words: The greater part of the sciences comprise but one single word - perhaps_, and the whole history of mankind contains no more than three and they are, born, suffer, die.

That pretty much sums it up. Who needs more? :wink:
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@Bighuey
You forgot to add .... and that's when the ass fell out of the camel market :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Fran wrote:@Bighuey
You forgot to add .... and that's when the ass fell out of the camel market :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

Bighuey wrote:
Fran wrote:@Bighuey
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just loved that story BH. :)
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

That guy had it bad, I guess you could say he had a library on his back. :lol:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”