Ever read a book you thought you should like but didn't?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mjmooney
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ever read a book you thought you should like but didn't?

Post by mjmooney »

Bighuey wrote:Ive never read the Harry Potter books, I wasnt that impressed with the movies. The books are probably better. Some of those kids books are quite entertaining. Im ashamed to admit it, but Ive read the Doc Savage books as an adult and found them to be pretty good books. Not the best written books ever, but still a fun read. I even read Andrew Lang's Lilac Fairy Book a while back and was surprised, it was imaginative and entertaining even for adults.
My daughter (now 25) says that the films are MUCH better than the books.
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by BooksNJoy »

That's funny, each time I have a discussion on Harry Potter, I'm told the movies are awful and the books are better. I saw the first 4 movies and each time I was disappointed. An adapatation can't be 100% like the book, but inventing scenes that are not in the book, that's a little too much.
"And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but
The truth in masquerade."

Lord Byron, Don Juan
PainKillerIndy
Favorite Author: no one specific
Favorite Book: Still looking for IT
Currently Reading: Peter Pan

Post by PainKillerIndy »

aornis wrote:The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
Such a bestseller and I also heard a lot of people declaring they absolutely loved it, but when I read it I was a bit disappointed. Not that it was badly written, I suppose it just didn't strike a chord with me.
Same here, I felt nothing was unique about the book. When I finished reading it I thought it was boring, I didn't care for the characters. It was more of a self-help book than an adventure/coming of age epic I was led to believe.
Read: 8/52 (15.4%)
2013 Challenge: 52 Books in 52 Weeks.
mjmooney

Post by mjmooney »

BooksNJoy wrote:
That's funny, each time I have a discussion on Harry Potter, I'm told the movies are awful and the books are better. I saw the first 4 movies and each time I was disappointed. An adapatation can't be 100% like the book, but inventing scenes that are not in the book, that's a little too much.
From my point of view, I expect more from a book - more depth, more subtlety, more inspiration, more 'food for thought'. Reading a book usually takes up several days - possibly even weeks or months - of my life, so I have little tolerance for wasting that time on trash writing (The Da Vinci Code) or stuff aimed at a different demographic (childrens' books).

Films are different - yes, I appreciate the serious arthouse type as much as the next person, but equally I'm quite content to while away a couple of hours with a shallow adventure movie like the Harry Potters. They're entertaining, they look good, they have plenty of action, and I don't mind that I've forgotten all about them the next day. As an exercise in filmmaking, they're actually pretty good. I've no interest in how 'close' they are to the books, I just treat them as original screenplays.

Whereas the books (for me - and even for some children) don't work particularly well as literature.

Horses for courses, don't they?
Barbara Brown
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-brown.html

Post by Barbara Brown »

To be honest, i can't say that i have, although i have read a book that i thought i wouldn't like but did. Go figure hey :)
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

If the first chapters don't grip me, I read the summary or review and let it go.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber
Grenadine54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grenadine54.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Grenadine54 »

Wow, some "Life of Pi" bashing here. Makes me kinda want to read it now. Aaah!

I didn't care for "Under the Tuscan Sun", which I picked up because the movie was a warm feel-good movie about taking your own life into your hands and healing and all of that. The book was more about food and Tuscany in general.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
mjmooney

Post by mjmooney »

That is a recommendation to me then! I've no interest in books about taking your own life into your hands and healing, but food and Tuscany, oh yes! :-)
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

'The Poisonwood Bible' by Barbara Kingsolver. I just could not get into it at all. I found it boring and could not finish it. I also did not like each chapter going back and forth between the 5 characters point of view! :?

0/5 stars.
HistoryMajor34

Post by HistoryMajor34 »

Shades of Grey. None of my friends could shut up about how good it was, so I purchased it convienced it would be a page turner. Unforunately, it was not my cup of tea, I couldn't make it past the first few chapters.
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

HistoryMajor34 wrote:Shades of Grey. None of my friends could shut up about how good it was, so I purchased it convienced it would be a page turner. Unforunately, it was not my cup of tea, I couldn't make it past the first few chapters.
Glad to learn I'm not the only person on the planet who hasn't read those books...
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Carrie R wrote:
HistoryMajor34 wrote:Shades of Grey. None of my friends could shut up about how good it was, so I purchased it convienced it would be a page turner. Unforunately, it was not my cup of tea, I couldn't make it past the first few chapters.
Glad to learn I'm not the only person on the planet who hasn't read those books...
I was waiting for your review Carrie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

Fran wrote:
I was waiting for your review Carrie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sadly, you'll be waiting a long time... ;)
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
facebook fans

Post by facebook fans »

Some personality development book I dont remember the title I thoght I ll like that but after reading I didnt

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”