Ever read a book you thought you should like but didn't?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Re: Ever read a book you thought you should like but didn't?

Post by Ryan »

Everybody I spoke to about The Tempest said that it was amazing, but I could never get into it. I think I'll try again soon, though. There's a lot in it that I think I'd enjoy, but clearly it isn't the right time :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

ryanj1 wrote:Everybody I spoke to about The Tempest said that it was amazing, but I could never get into it. I think I'll try again soon, though. There's a lot in it that I think I'd enjoy, but clearly it isn't the right time :)
I actually think this exact same thing happened to me when I was at uni! A ton of students in my theater class (it was a gen. ed. requirement; I'm not a theater person) and I got about five pages in and then returned it to the library where I never wished to see it again.
Odelia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Odelia »

Charles Dickens' ''Great Expectations''...I am not sure what bothered me about it, but it took me so long to read it. I never got the sin of it. It feels ''incomplete'' like something is missing...
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan. I love books about dragons and the whole idea of a book about studying dragons as a naturalist. But this book didn't deliver for me, I liked the beginning and was saddened by the end. Overall I think I was just underwhelmed by the story.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
jillyshub52+
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Revival
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillyshub52.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by jillyshub52+ »

I hated William Faulkner's As I Lay Dying and F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. Oh and Earnest Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea. As hard as I tried to like them. I just could not.
Colorora
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colorora.html

Post by Colorora »

I got halfway through A Christmas Carol before stopping. I couldn't do it. I hated it. I'm sure it's great but really not my type.
T Fin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-fin.html

Post by T Fin »

The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

There are tons of "classic" novels and major award winners that I just do not enjoy. There are many prominent writers whose work simply does not appeal to me.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

Well when I read The Alchemist I wanted to shoot myself on the foot and burn the book next.
Does that answer the question? :mrgreen:
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

'The Satanic Verses' by Salman Rushdie. I tried to get into it, but just couldn't.
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

The Maze Runner. I watched the movie AND read the wiki of all 3 books. I bought the boxed set of all 4 books including the prequel. I started reading the first book but got really bored. It's because I already knew what was going to happen (poor Newt) so I wasn't interested in it anymore. The whole series was spoiled for me already so I didn't read the whole book or any other books. I like to have them on my shelf though, even though I've never read them. I feel kind of guilty for that..
I am a free spirit
like mafia

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”