Ever read a book you thought you should like but didn't?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Re: Ever read a book you thought you should like but didn't?

Post by asmaahsan »

facebook fans wrote:Some personality development book I dont remember the title I thoght I ll like that but after reading I didnt
I can't read those. Only self help like how to make cookies and stuff or managing human emotions.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber
clintessential
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by clintessential »

Alnilam James Dickey
I read 100 pages of this(the first 100, but no matter where you started or finished, it was GHASTLY).
The next time we serve punch, I'm going to throw it in. Just to give the t*rd some healthy competition.
This is the only thing I've read by Dickey(I want to reiterate that I DIDNOT finish it. I'll never be that noble),
but apparently he wrote well enough to afford a life long love affair with the grape and box seats at the Derby
every year. It's utter gibberish and if the Queen has knighted him, he should be UNknighted. Hear, hear.

NB: When I wrote this, I had Fran the Archangel in mind. I can see her now, biting a knuckle, in hopes of
preventing her cute little tee hees from escalating into GALES of Rabalsian mirth. She used to acknowlege
my creations with a kind word or smiley face :D . What she's doing is neither Angelic, Saintly, or Moderate.
If her Moderateness doesn't acknowledge in some way my efforts at rehabilitation, I'm going to hold my breath---
AND DIE!!!!! The blood will be on YOUR hands. You've got an hour.
You can only be grounded if you're crazy. If you come to me and tell me you should be grounded because you're crazy, I won't ground you.
Why not: Because crazy people don't think they're crazy.
Jon-Ross
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings and World War Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jon-ross.html

Post by Jon-Ross »

I though 'Percy Jackson and the Olympians' by Rick Riordan would be interesting, but it was the same plot over the five books, just different enemies Percy fights.
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

Quite a few actually, but most of them were so bad I do not even remember there names
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Same here. Cant see wasting my time on some forgettable dumb book.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
SuperAP97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superap97.html

Post by SuperAP97 »

Honestly I just stop reading a book if it is to boring.
unsophisticated

Post by unsophisticated »

I certainly have, though SHOULD may be too strong a word. I really expected to have a positive experience with The Sun Also Rises because I loved A Farewell to Arms and didn't mind For Whom The Bell Tolls. But I really didn't enjoy The Sun... at all. I was left with the feeling I'd read The Great Gatsby Goes Abroad. But worse: ). Maybe I'd like it if I read it again, but it just didn't work for me.
I also expected to like (in fact after the first line I thought it was a sure thing) One Hundred Years Of Solitude. But blood running across the floor and down the street and into someone else's house? I just wasn't ready for that: )
And then there was a book Annie Dillard had given her recommendation to: Saints and...Something or other, I can't remember. Anyway, with A.D. saying it was good I thought I'd at least be able to admire it. But I couldn't even get through it. And it was based on the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I felt bad.
kat6496
Favorite Author: Liza Palmer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1314">The Disappearing Girl</a>
Currently Reading: Electric Barracuda - Tim Dorsey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat6496.html
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
fav_author_id: 6497

Post by kat6496 »

Trix9201 wrote:I was hugely disappointed by Love in the Time of Cholera. My friends recommended it highly and it was also featured in one of my favourite romantic movies as a powerful love story. I found it dreadfully dull and reading it at times was utter drudgery. Bogged down in descriptions, difficult phrasing, and endless waiting in parks, I trudged valiantly onward but was never rewarded with the heartrending, sweeping romance I had been seeking.
Trix9201, this one is on my list too! I have never seen the movie, but the book, to me, was just painful. I too trudged through, stopping many times along the way for respite! lol
Latest Review: "Alias Corey Sutton" by Rusty Savage
ssdm4eva

Post by ssdm4eva »

I always heard great things about Catcher in the Rye. However it was not my favorite , I just did not connect at all to story or characters at all.

-- 28 Sep 2013, 03:25 --

I always heard great things about Catcher in the Rye. However it was not my favorite , I just did not connect at all to story or characters at all.
buddyroo
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buddyroo.html
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson

Post by buddyroo »

Yes, Beautiful Creatures.
"If you liked Twilight, you will love Beautiful Creatures!"

Wrong...I thought it was ok and honestly felt like it was a poor knock off of Twilight. I feel bad saying that knowing how much people love the books, but that is what I felt. I won't go into all the many reasons I didn't like it because I might offend way too many people.
Latest Review: "Planetary Assault" by David VanDyke, Vaughn Heppner, BV Larson
Sine_Ni_Ceallach
Currently Reading: The Iliad by Homer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sine-ni-ceallach.html

Post by Sine_Ni_Ceallach »

Several come to mind; Life of Pi was one of them. I also thought I'd like Lord of the Flies and Wuthering Heights, but nope. Another book that looked really good, but ended up being anti-climactic was one called "History's Greatest Deceptions" by Eric Chaline. It just didn't seem like it was that well-researched, in my opinion.
"I could not be sure she was sane; and, in fact, there was a certain restless brilliancy about her eyes that half led me to imagine she was not." -Edgar Allan Poe
Xantos
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xantos.html

Post by Xantos »

I had found that with the Hunger Games. I read the first book, and it was written in a style that I usually find enjoyable, but for some odd reason, I just couldn't get into it. Same with the Twilight series. I did read them all when I was much younger, but now, I feel rather embarrassed that I had read them at all unfortunately.
Dani226
Favorite Author: Dean Koontz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani226.html
fav_author_id: 2595

Post by Dani226 »

"Fifty Shades of Grey"...everyone raved about how sexy it was...I just didn't get it. I also wasn't all that impressed with "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo".
newlndnfire
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-newlndnfire.html
Latest Review: "Evil Water" by Inger Wolf

Post by newlndnfire »

I would have to say, the most recent book that I've read that I wasn't too fond of was Confessions of a Sociopath by M.E. Thomas. I thought I was going to love it after the first chapter but it was just...not what I expected. I thought it was going to be more of a story but it was a lot of facts and research that she has found since she started a website with some stories about her life experiences thrown in.

I still liked the book but not as much as I thought I was going to.

-- 16 Oct 2013, 12:10 --
Dani226 wrote:"Fifty Shades of Grey"...everyone raved about how sexy it was...I just didn't get it. I also wasn't all that impressed with "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo".
Ugh, yes. When I first read it I liked it but when you really think about some of the things she describes...its a little weird.
Latest Review: "Evil Water" by Inger Wolf
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

This year, I finally read Salinger's Franny and Zooey. I had been looking forward to it for a long time, and, since I really like Catcher in the Rye, I was expecting Franny and Zooey to be great. I was severely disappointed! It really was boring. I got so sick of Zooey as a character--his whining and rants and his immature attitudes. I finished the book, but I felt like celebrating when I was done with it that I didn't have to read it anymore! I'm willing to admit that I might be missing something with this book, but that does not change the fact that this book was torture for me to read!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”