Do you love to read recipe books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Zade
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you love to read recipe books?

Post by Zade »

I love to read cookbooks! I have lots of them and also like to check them out from the library. Some of my favorites are the kind that have stories about the food or information about the ingredients. I especially like to read the cookbooks put out by small country churches as fundraisers or compiled by families and full of the memories that go along with various foods.
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

I am not a fan of reading recipe books but you know i read them when i need well a recipe
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
JenniferBoyce
Favorite Author: Jared Diamond
Favorite Book: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenniferboyce.html
fav_author_id: 3301

Post by JenniferBoyce »

The book that really got me started on recipe books was "Cooking with Italian Grandmothers"; the combination of story and recipes really appealed to me (apparently there is a whole genre of books just catering to that). Not only was the book itself interesting but the recipes within the book were fantastic! I read the book cover to cover and tried (almost) all of the recipes.

After that I began collecting cookbooks. Friends gave me old ones that they weren't using and I purchased some for myself. I found myself really enjoying being able to page through and scan the recipes; there's something so appealing about just being able to flip pages and decide what to cook. Yet I find that I get most of my actual recipes from the internet. It's just easier for me to prop my laptop up in the kitchen than a bulky cookbook (plus the thought of getting food on a book terrifies me but getting food on my laptop doesn't worry me).
dlachance9
Favorite Author: Tom Robbins
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dlachance9.html
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
fav_author_id: 3036

Post by dlachance9 »

My boyfriend does! It always makes me laugh to see a cookbook sitting on his nightstand when I've got a stack of novels on mine.
Latest Review: "Warp and Weft" by Vinay Jalla
Girlcoupon29

Post by Girlcoupon29 »

I have several cookbooks, I read them all.. I like the cookbook made by churches for fund raising but my favorite is an Amish cookbook, it has poems and nonsense recipes all throughout. One may never know what treasures could be found in a recipe book!
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

Absolutely. I rarely actually make the recipes in them, but I get a lot of ideas for my own recipes from them. There's something very relaxing about reading recipes books.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
luluMoon1940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lulumoon1940.html

Post by luluMoon1940 »

Thank goodness there are others out there! I have a huge collection of cook books of all kinds. I guess it helps to be a "foodie" but many books give an insight into other cultures and customs which I find fascinating. I have a book called Vietnamese Street Food which illustrates my point admirably. Its by Tracey Lister and Andreas Pohl and it has pictures and recipes from the legendary street stalls and provides evocative glimpses of traditions and everyday life as well as some cracking good recipes. A must have book.

Has anyone heard of the legendary french chef Edouard Pomiane? His book Cooking with Pomiane with a foreword by Elizabeth David (another of my favourites) published in 1976 is slightly off beat and wonderfully written. Great for fans of true French Food.
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

I prefer going online for a recipe I need rather than stock up recipe books wherein I will have to search for a recipe.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

I don't read cookbooks for enjoyment. I have to read them to weed out anything that has ingredients that my pick family objects to. I have downloaded quite a few for my Kindle.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

Not necessarily love to read but more of a love to eat what the recipes say! :)
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
diggks58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diggks58.html

Post by diggks58 »

I do like reading recipe books. Going online is convenient for recipes however, reading recipe books can give you so many great ideas!
Ropis
Favorite Author: Stephen King
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Ropis »

No, I don't like reading recipe books, I just look up when I need a recipe to cook something...
Elizabeth Rogers 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rogers-47.html

Post by Elizabeth Rogers 47 »

Some cook books read like a novel. Really more of a memoir, but it might as well be fiction if you do not know the person. I found this out when I took a job as cook on an estate, I had never cooked professionally before, but my friend was leaving the job and needed to replace himself. I was between jobs, and thought I should try it since I had nothing to lose, and the worst I could do was get a week's pay out of the experiment. I began taking piles of books out of the library just to make menus to start out with. By the end of the week I was learning a lot, and I was hooked on cookbook reading.

A set of two cookbooks I can wholeheartedly recommend are: "Home Cooking" and "More Home Cooking". They were written by Laurie Colwin. A young woman who wrote cooking columns for a popular magazine. I'd loved the columns and loved the books. Would rate them 4 out of 4 stars easily. Both for the food and the stories that accompanied the recipes.

Another set that made my new job easier was written by Elsie Masterton. Originally written in 1963, they are "Blueberry Hill Cookbook" and Blueberry Hill Menu Cookbook". These books tell a lot about the running of a country inn. The food is unique, and she gives much helpful advice about cooking in general. I was drawn to these two because the estate I was working at was named d"Blueberry Hill". I remained there 9 years, though with a 2-year break in the middle.
Little House
Favorite Author: Orson Scott Card
Favorite Book: Enders Game or maybe Enders Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-house.html
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
fav_author_id: 2667

Post by Little House »

Some cook books (or recipe books) are more fun to read than others. If it is strictly a list of recipes, then it is not much fun to read. But on the other hand, if there are lots of explanations and tips and tricks then it is worth reading. I have lots of cookbooks that I enjoy sitting down and reading.
Latest Review: "Chocolate Chip Chelsy" by Angelina Madison
book_girl86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-girl86.html

Post by book_girl86 »

I love reading cookbooks because there are no cooking classes available where I live, and they have helped me learn how to cook. My favorite cookbook is Joy of Cooking.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”