Do you love to read recipe books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fun in the kitchen ... yeah, right

Post by DATo »

I never read recipe books because I am not much of a cook to begin with. I tried to cook an egg once ... it exploded. I am proficient in cooking toast sometimes, but more often than not I burn it to a cinder. Thus I remain a patron of restaurants, whereby, with the remittence of a modest pecuniary consideration all of my potential culinary nightmares are borne by the establishment thereby allowing me the benefit of enjoying my meal free from any and all concerns of later having to scrape anything off the kitchen ceiling or having to have my stomach pumped at the local hospital.

Now my sister is a very talented cook, ENORMOUSLY talented for that matter, so much so that her recipe book is included in her will to her daughter as a prized heirloom, and with good reason, for its value is inestimable. Personally, I would prefer money because any and all of her exquisite recipes would be wasted on me if I attempted to prepare them. If I prepared a dinner for a gathering of guests, even from her wonderful cookbook of recipes, I would open the risk of exposing myself to multiple charges of attempted murder by poisoning.

I used to watch those cooking shows on TV, but I no longer do that. They only serve to make me hungry as well as tempt me to embark upon cooking adventures that would make Sir Edmund Hillary's climb up Mt. Everest pale in significance as a springtime walk in the park.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
NickMatocho

Post by NickMatocho »

Not myself but my girlfriend loves to.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

DATo wrote:I never read recipe books because I am not much of a cook to begin with. I tried to cook an egg once ... it exploded. I am proficient in cooking toast sometimes, but more often than not I burn it to a cinder. Thus I remain a patron of restaurants, whereby, with the remittence of a modest pecuniary consideration all of my potential culinary nightmares are borne by the establishment thereby allowing me the benefit of enjoying my meal free from any and all concerns of later having to scrape anything off the kitchen ceiling or having to have my stomach pumped at the local hospital.

Now my sister is a very talented cook, ENORMOUSLY talented for that matter, so much so that her recipe book is included in her will to her daughter as a prized heirloom, and with good reason, for its value is inestimable. Personally, I would prefer money because any and all of her exquisite recipes would be wasted on me if I attempted to prepare them. If I prepared a dinner for a gathering of guests, even from her wonderful cookbook of recipes, I would open the risk of exposing myself to multiple charges of attempted murder by poisoning.

I used to watch those cooking shows on TV, but I no longer do that. They only serve to make me hungry as well as tempt me to embark upon cooking adventures that would make Sir Edmund Hillary's climb up Mt. Everest pale in significance as a springtime walk in the park.
I hear ya, Dato. Im the same way. When I cook something and it turns out half-way decent, I eat it. If not, I give it to my dogs. If they dont eat it, it goes in the mulch pile. I have a very big mulch pile.

My method of cooking is as follows; When its smokin its cookin when its black its done.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Bighuey wrote:
I hear ya, Dato. Im the same way. When I cook something and it turns out half-way decent, I eat it. If not, I give it to my dogs. If they dont eat it, it goes in the mulch pile. I have a very big mulch pile.

My method of cooking is as follows; When its smokin its cookin when its black its done.
My philosophy exactly Huey, but yesterday I thought ... Turkeys give their lives that we may eat them. Am I being just to avoid preparing food and thereby making their ultimate sacrifices meaningless? ... So I cooked a turkey sandwich.

Recipe:

1) Separate two slices of bread

2) Lay portions of turkey on one of the slices of bread

3) In a tribute to the French school of cuisine, decorate food artistically
(I painted a smiley face on the turkey slices with poupon mustard)

4) Place second slice of bread on top of turkey portions

5) Serve with garnish of Twinkie cakes and a mug of beer

Ah !!! Magnifique !!!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
anijoan

Post by anijoan »

Nope! In fact, that is also the reason I improvise so often when I cook! Since I don't have the patience to read through the whole thing. Considering my love for books, this is a slightly weird phenomenon.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Another method of how I cook.

Take TV dinner out of box.
Put in microwave.
Cook for 5 minutes or so.
Dinner is done.

Anything more complicated than that, forget it.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Bighuey wrote:Another method of how I cook.

Take TV dinner out of box.
Put in microwave.
Cook for 5 minutes or so.
Dinner is done.

Anything more complicated than that, forget it.
You got a point Bighuey .... life is already complicated enough :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Yamia Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yamia-green.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Yamia Green »

I do love to read cookbooks. Depending on the cookbook, reading the recipes has the potential to teach you about new spices and/or seasonings, and how to use them. I often times learn new cooking techniques, various tips to cut cooking time in half, and the best part of reading cookbooks is that you can come across what may be your families new favorite meal!

I don't just read them I make the recipes that I like and get my children involved in the cooking process encouraging them to join in on the fun by READING the ingredients before adding them. It's a fun way to promote a love of reading to a generation of kids stuck on video games.
Caron1
Favorite Author: Andre Norton
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caron1.html
fav_author_id: 2714

Post by Caron1 »

I love cook books, especially the older ones. My mother had a great one that my older brother and I have fought over for years. I threatened to take it, so he always checks after I've visited! What's especially great about it is that my mom wrote in the margins and changed incredient amounts as she tweaked the recipes, especially the desserts. Yum! 8)
hazelk

Post by hazelk »

I need to read our recipe books ou loud as my husband is visually impaired, however he is the cook, and a wonderful one at that.
We have a great collection and always adding to it. :wink:
carolsue

Post by carolsue »

I love to read cookbooks. I buy them at flea markets and used book stores. I have about 50 or so. I am now at the point that a cookbook has to have a particular draw for me to buy it. I don't necessarily cook from them.

Carol
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

My late wife was a cookbook freak. She had shelves and cabinets full of them and was a fantastic cook. She even wrote a cookbook and it is in the process of being published. I wish some of her culinary expertise had rubbed off on me, I might have gotten past the TV dinner and peanut butter sandwich stage.
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

I also have quite a few cookbooks and have been known to sit and read one from time to time. I love to cook but am time challenged. I do love to read recipes and as I spend a lot of times in waiting rooms ( through my job) I find many in magazines. I have more cookbooks and recipes than I have time to cook..... someone stop me!!!!
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
camilegordon

Post by camilegordon »

cant quite understand why this question is being posed . . if you are a cooking enthusiast then of course you would like to read them . . .its all about planning a great dish . . the research before hand. . . . reading gardening books !!! now that is baffeling to me.
Caron1
Favorite Author: Andre Norton
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caron1.html
fav_author_id: 2714

Post by Caron1 »

lol...I love to read gardening books too! :lol:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”