Do you love to read recipe books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jenifer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you love to read recipe books?

Post by jenifer »

ya...i love to read recipe books and i love cooking.

-- 21 Nov 2012, 23:39 --

recipe books are very useful for every lady
hainguyen178

Post by hainguyen178 »

yes, i do. I usually read recipe books when cooking. they help me a lot
catt_mole

Post by catt_mole »

I am a culinary student. I read them for school, cooking and fun. I have a tendency skip them over until a recipe title catches my attention.
The step-by-step method is not quite to my liking or skill level but if anyone in interested in the process of cooking I would suggest 'The Science of Good Food.' It reads like an encyclopedia and has great photography.
mcorley
Favorite Author: Jean M. Auel
Favorite Book: The Clan of the Cave Bear
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcorley.html
Latest Review: "The Walker on the Cape" by Mike Martin
fav_author_id: 3709

Post by mcorley »

I love them when I'm looking for good recipes. Just for fun reading? Not so much.
Latest Review: "The Walker on the Cape" by Mike Martin
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Fran wrote:I have no interest whatsoever in reading cookery books ... I might look up a cookbook if I needed help with a dish but in honesty I would be much more likely to Google the recipe that look in a cookery book
Fran, how can you be such a devoted reader and not read cook books? :shock: They are an art form in themselves! From delicious recipes to gorgeous photos, tried and true family staples to exquisite gourmet delights, a modern cookery book outshines any lifestyle publication on the planet.

Vast numbers of cookery books reside in the non-fiction section of my local library and strolling over to the magazine issues shows just how popular this subject is all year round. Culinary skills aside, nothing much beats the satisfaction of eating a meal you have prepared from a recipe book propped up on your kitchen bench.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
caelamb
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caelamb.html

Post by caelamb »

Curling up with a good cook book gives me as much pleasure as reading a novel. I collect a few different genres of them, but no doubt some of my favourites are from circa 1950. The Betty Crocker one of that era (recently repulibshed in its original form) is a classic. I love sitting down with it just to read tips for the housewife. My favourite sketch is of a woman serving her husband a mixed drink after "his" hard day at work. Of course the children in the background look amazingly clean scrubbed and in good humor. Deep sigh! A girl can fantasize, right?
bedish23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bedish23.html

Post by bedish23 »

My husband LOVES recipe books. We have a whole shelf dedicated to his Jamie Oliver books! He uses them for inspiration when cooking.
htddubai

Post by htddubai »

yes of course zubaida Tariq book is nice
immunogoblin

Post by immunogoblin »

Phoenix98 wrote:I had no idea that people actually read recipe books. I always thought it would be like reading a phone directory. The world of books is simply greater than I had realized, thanks to this forum.

(not sarcasm, BTW)
Some cook books try to rectify this Phone Directory effect by adding anecdotes or forwards to the recipes.
brad786
Favorite Book: The Midnights Children

Post by brad786 »

No, I don't like to ream recipe books but could not avoid myself to read certain parts of a recipe book(I don't even remember the name) when I was forced to cook my self. :)
wendyk90

Post by wendyk90 »

uh no...only if i have to...lol

wendyk90
bermudasyl

Post by bermudasyl »

I love reading a good cookbook. The creativity in the recipes fascinates me, not to mention makes me salivate. One of my favourites is "Apples for Jam" by Tessa Kiros. I also love Nigel Slater's "The Kitchen Diaries" and Nigella Lawson's "How to be a Domestic Goddess."
Cpi2012

Post by Cpi2012 »

I also like to read recipe books because i like cook very much.Thanks for sharing !!
GotThatSwing

Post by GotThatSwing »

I never thought about this but yeah, I actually do. I don't do it often but if there's some culinary book or some recipes in a magazine around I like looking at them. But I read only ingredients and see the photos, I only read the rest when it comes to cooking.
Lolita. Light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth.
Athena

Post by Athena »

I own a few cook books and wish I had more energy to try out the recipes. I plan to do more cooking with new recipes once I'm graduated. I have to admit, these days it's often easier though to use the internet rather than me digging out the book (the cookbooks are near the bottom of the shelf, to the back) so I often use the internet if I want to know something. But I think it's great to look at cook books and get inspiration for cooking certain things. If I get around to try out lots more recipes, I may buy more cook books XD.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”