Young Adult Fiction

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
CharlesBryant
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Young Adult Fiction

Post by CharlesBryant »

Astonishing-Man is a great one too,probably the best one ever made,next to the Harry Potter series

-- 17 Oct 2012, 04:51 --
CharlesBryant wrote:Astonishing-Man is a great one too,probably the best one ever made,next to the Harry Potter series
Also the first superhero story that's not a comic book
a_b_syed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-syed.html

Post by a_b_syed »

There does seem to be a lot of emphasis on the paranormal kind of YA fiction at present, but maybe that is our perception because it is all over the media all the time. But I must admit I do love reading YA and even younger books. As an excuse, I read them as bedtime stories and that way get to enjoy them myself too.

I also read sort of crossover authors like Jasper Fforde who seem to straddle the YA and adult quite effectively.
I'm reading the Phantom Tollbooth out loud right now and loving it. As an adult you take away a different message from whatever you read I guess.
vitormadeira89

Post by vitormadeira89 »

In a way I honestly feel it depends on the reader, personality, age range (to some extent). On the other hand I can see what you mean. [*Do adults still read adult books?] Everyone is reading or talking about those books because of the apparatus around their authors and the big films made of them. There are a lot of good works that don't get a tenth of the coverage, and that DOES NOT mean that it is not good, or potentially better than these. But in a world where youngsters simply slump in front of tv's and computers I find it rewarding that some of them do read. Anything at all. And they probably keep to this genre because it's what they know. That's what happened to me at first. Then I also got around to Sci Fy. But my point is, the examples of books you gave do teach some good stuff to kids, values, and stuff that's worth risking your neck for. Besides, Hemingway and Vonnegut have been around for some time.Who knows if JK Rowling and Suzanne Collins won't one day be as praised as them?
On a different approach, Fantasy (and sci fy, but not only these genres) ask a lot from the field of imagination. And that is a treat for younger people, the age of dreaming before being relentlessly grounded by society (or just your parents). For myself I can reassure that despite the aforementioned being my favourite genres (and they do have some "grown-up" writers) I have an ongoing resolution concerning what you'd call reading adult books. :D
a_b_syed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-syed.html

Post by a_b_syed »

I hear what you are saying Vitormadeira89. The appeal of those imaginative works is much greater during one's younger years. But I also think that the escapism that these kinds of books provide to older readers also has its place.

This is, of course why we have so many escapist films for grown ups which are amazingly popular. Not to give specific examples, but I am currently reading a book by a very well known author of detective-type stories. I am on page 19 and the protagonist has so far, seen a murder (of course) had a cup of coffee, eaten a bowl of soup and thought (a lot) about her family.

Whereas, compare a similar page 19 from a children's book and you will already be right in the middle of the adventure. I'm not saying that all adult books are boring, but there is a different feel about them certainly.
Westfaller

Post by Westfaller »

A bit offtopic, but to the readers above who enjoyed the Hunger Games above, you need to check out the Golden Compass series. Very similar Young Adult Fiction with great action sequences and I felt was wonderfully written. The book series goes as follows: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and the Amber Spyglass all written by Phillip Pullman
theniceiceman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theniceiceman.html

Post by theniceiceman »

You know, I don't have a problem that people are reading this books, but part of me thinks I have a problem with how people react to it. Teenage girls, in particular. I just think that some people get way too obsessed with the books. A year ago when Twilight was at the peak of his prime, my brother (a high school student) told me that a group of girls actually killed themselves because they wanted to become vampires. Now, it's not the book's fault, nor is it the author's fault, but my goodness--what a shame.

I also think it's funny how religious people react to books, Harry Potter in particular. I'm a religious man myself, but come on--I always viewed it as an innocent young adult book. I really, really doubt that the majority of people, both kids and adults, who read the books/see the movies are going to go out there and start dabbling in Black Magic.
[downfallinpeaces]
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-downfallinpeaces.html

Post by [downfallinpeaces] »

I'm glad there are ways to get younger kids/teens to keep reading when it's not school mandated, but why do people assume everyone has read these? I have never picked up a Harry Potter or Twilight book because they aren't really my genre, and people who see me reading a lot can't understand it.
GarnetCompass

Post by GarnetCompass »

I just introduced my mother to the Harry Potter series, so I can't talk about adult books for adults. :)
esmileyturtle
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esmileyturtle.html

Post by esmileyturtle »

My mother is in her late 40s and she absolutely LOVES young adult paranormal fiction. She reads book that I, as a teenager, cringe to read because of the cheesiness, angst, etc. Her excuse as to why she enjoys this type of literature is because it provides and escape for her, and for the most part she doesn't have to think much about what she is reading. She'll go through about 3 or 4 of these books a month.
aj0416

Post by aj0416 »

I agree in the fact that adults should not primarily only read young adult books. However my personal motto is that I will read anything that I havn't read. That said, yes I do read young adult fiction books, some of them have good stories and take you on a fun adventure, however, I am very much the "old soul" as I have been told in that I love reading the classics as well. I frequently go to a book store and will read back of covers fiction or nonfiction to find what "tickles" my fancy. It is a problem that adults will only read young adult books, if that is where your brain is always at, is that how you live your life as well?
vsc_vet_tech
Favorite Author: I have a few.
Favorite Book: Hard to narrow to one
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsc-vet-tech.html
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
Reading Device: B005890FN0

Post by vsc_vet_tech »

I have to say reading young adult fiction books should not be the only books adults should read. But I also agree with some of the comments to the effect that reading them can be fin. You can fly through them quickly and it might even give you something to discuss with your kids,if you have any. It will give you a starting point for discussion with them besides "how was school?". I also agree that this books might also make reading more enjoyable for those who dislike reading. I have always loved reading, but not everyone was raised to love it. I have tried to broaden my reading interests by picking up any book of any genre that looked like a good story...including a few young adult fiction books. I try to not limit myself and hope that everyone would try as well...you never know what you will find in unusual territories.;-)
Latest Review: "Crisis (Vampires Rule 2)" by Rocky Grede
Cozy Corner

Post by Cozy Corner »

I find it very interesting how quickly people dissmiss the Young Adult genre. I recommended The Hunger Games and Divergent to a few coworkers and a few others read them on their own and some came back and said that it was a book for young people. Although I agree they are written for a younger audience I don't think that they should be so quickly dismissed, it is almost as though they are embarrassed to have read them. I find I hop from one genre to the next based on what is going on in my life, in the world, and my mood. Sometimes when things are busy it is nice to read a YA book that only takes a short time to read but still can involve a lot of thought provoking themes.
celinerm29

Post by celinerm29 »

Hi

I am a writer of young adult fiction and it is a fun genre to write for. When you write for young kids, it is always good to also read what other authors of young adult ficiton are writing. But of course I also read adult books-I love the classics and am now reading Moby Dick, but I am also reading a good ghost mystery for adult readers, as well as a book by Doris Kearns Goodwin about President Lyndon Baines Johnson. So I do a vast amount of reading and writing. I also write short stories for both children and for a general audience. You can find good reading in both adult books and young adult books. There's no limit or rule for what anyone loves to read.
Celine
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

theniceiceman wrote:You know, I don't have a problem that people are reading this books, but part of me thinks I have a problem with how people react to it. Teenage girls, in particular. I just think that some people get way too obsessed with the books. A year ago when Twilight was at the peak of his prime, my brother (a high school student) told me that a group of girls actually killed themselves because they wanted to become vampires. Now, it's not the book's fault, nor is it the author's fault, but my goodness--what a shame.

I also think it's funny how religious people react to books, Harry Potter in particular. I'm a religious man myself, but come on--I always viewed it as an innocent young adult book. I really, really doubt that the majority of people, both kids and adults, who read the books/see the movies are going to go out there and start dabbling in Black Magic.
Actually, interesting you bring this up.. A whole bunch of schools have actually banned Harry Potter from being read at school because it goes against their religious beliefs. :roll: Ridiculous as it is a great piece of writing, although not the best.

-- 06 Nov 2012, 16:57 --

I believe young adult fiction should also be eye opening and not particularly influential.
We (society), I think, generally under estimate how influential books are. I suppose Twilight has opened our eyes a bit more to that though, considering the obsessions that have followed.
markettrade

Post by markettrade »

I only read the last Harry Potter book, because I couldn't wait to see how the story ended. It was a good read and I enjoyed it. If a story grabs me, it grabs me. I don't care what age group it's suppose to target. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I still enjoy some animated movies as well. :D
----------------------------------

boots|socks|sandals|carlton london|converse shoes

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”