Young Adult Fiction

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
cshiredhands
Bookshelf Size: 0

Young Adult Fiction

Post by cshiredhands »

Is anyone but me bothered by the fact that young adult fiction seems to be the trend of popular literature? Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc...are good as far as they go, but they are definitely written for young people. I know adults that rave about them like they are Hemingway or Vonnegut!. Do adults still read adult books?
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

cshiredhands wrote:Is anyone but me bothered by the fact that young adult fiction seems to be the trend of popular literature? Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc...are good as far as they go, but they are definitely written for young people. I know adults that rave about them like they are Hemingway or Vonnegut!. Do adults still read adult books?
The ones who post here certainly do :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Well I haven't read any Harry Potter books or Hunger Games, but not because I think they are for young people, they are just not my genre of reading material, if they were I would certainly read them.......there is too much snobbery about what we "should" be reading. I think my intellect probably copes better with kids books anyway, if it takes your fancy, read it. :D
(Ant aged 51)
Lolla
Favorite Author: Harlan Coben
Currently Reading: Ilse Witch
Bookshelf Size: 7
fav_author_id: 3782

Post by Lolla »

there is too much snobbery about what we "should" be reading.
Agree 100%

I only read the last Harry Potter book, because I couldn't wait to see how the story ended. It was a good read and I enjoyed it. If a story grabs me, it grabs me. I don't care what age group it's suppose to target. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I still enjoy some animated movies as well. :D
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney
A24

Post by A24 »

Ant wrote:Well I haven't read any Harry Potter books or Hunger Games, but not because I think they are for young people, they are just not my genre of reading material, if they were I would certainly read them.......there is too much snobbery about what we "should" be reading. I think my intellect probably copes better with kids books anyway, if it takes your fancy, read it. :D
(Ant aged 51)
Amen!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I think if a person likes it, it dosent matter what age group it is.Im 74 and I still read the Tom Corbett Space Cadet books that I read as a young teenager. A few years ago I even read The Wizard of OZ and got a kick out of it.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
cshiredhands

Post by cshiredhands »

Ant wrote:Well I haven't read any Harry Potter books or Hunger Games, but not because I think they are for young people, they are just not my genre of reading material, if they were I would certainly read them.......there is too much snobbery about what we "should" be reading. I think my intellect probably copes better with kids books anyway, if it takes your fancy, read it. :D
(Ant aged 51)

That was kind of my point. I don't disagree with reading anything that takes your fancy, but this fascination with youth fiction seems to be part of the dumbing down of everything. I doesn't take as much effort to read young adult, so it's the easy way out. I prefer reading stuff that makes me think, and sometimes makes me stop and think.
Ant
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Fair point but I wouldn't like to say "dumbing down", there has always been fiction for young adults and times change.......I try and move with them, reading and the reading matter is an individual choice and I would certainly prefer youngsters to be rading something like H.Potter than spending hours on end in front of a games console.
As a youngster I read books like Robinson Crusoe and Treasure Island but tastes have changed somewhat, just like in fashion, the music industry and hair styles, I try to stay pretty much in fashion for my age group, as for music I do like some newer stuff though would draw the line at "smack my bitch up" (The Prodigy) and as for hair styles, well that is getting more and more difficult the older I get. :D
vinodkumaryadav11

Post by vinodkumaryadav11 »

Yaaa. From my point of view, everyone likes reading fiction books. Really age doesn't matter....
cshiredhands

Post by cshiredhands »

[quote="Ant"]Fair point but I wouldn't like to say "dumbing down", there has always been fiction for young adults and times change.......

It's not the kids I'm worried about. It's the adults that don't go beyond youth fiction. If it's not easy, it's not read.
Tink21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tink21.html

Post by Tink21 »

cshiredhands wrote:
Ant wrote:Fair point but I wouldn't like to say "dumbing down", there has always been fiction for young adults and times change.......

It's not the kids I'm worried about. It's the adults that don't go beyond youth fiction. If it's not easy, it's not read.

I couldn't have said it better. What's popular today isn't a challenge; it's entertainment. If people have to work to be entertained they're just not interested.

However, the subject of young adult fiction novels is something relevant to all readers. The post-war world of the Hunger Games hits close to home with all of the violence that is going on currently. The tumultuous friendships and relationships, the desire to improve ourselves and the world, these are things that people of all ages are drawn to. So while the writing may not be challenging it speaks to the reader.
Cj-Ca-Ej

Post by Cj-Ca-Ej »

cshiredhands wrote:
Ant wrote:Fair point but I wouldn't like to say "dumbing down", there has always been fiction for young adults and times change.......

I personally would have to disagree. I'm 25 years old and have never been interested in reading until a couple of months ago when I started the hunger games. I've read a few books here and there but it was the Hunger Games that sparked my new found love of reading. After finishing HG I read another YA book and then moved on. I just finished The second book of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's certainly not the most difficult book however it is not YA either.
llsmith242

Post by llsmith242 »

Wow! It's crazy because I had the same exact experience! I started out reading a few historical romance novels, but when I got into the series for Hunger Games and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo my interest in reading really went to another level. I think genre is simply based on personal preference rather than reading difficulty because as a fellow reader mentioned earlier age doesn't have as much to do with it as does the content and one's interest.
Cj-Ca-Ej wrote:
cshiredhands wrote:

I personally would have to disagree. I'm 25 years old and have never been interested in reading until a couple of months ago when I started the hunger games. I've read a few books here and there but it was the Hunger Games that sparked my new found love of reading. After finishing HG I read another YA book and then moved on. I just finished The second book of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's certainly not the most difficult book however it is not YA either.
CharlesBryant

Post by CharlesBryant »

You have "The Hunger Games","Harry Potter","Twilight",and "Kid" which were made into very big and popular books quickly, and one of the main reasons would be because they are young adult novels and have things in them that are very interesting,that attract teens (the biggest audience now),and leads to adult attraction.For example,with "The Hunger Games",it's the tragidies and danger that attract people to it,with "Harry Potter",it's the fantasy,with "Twilight",it's the romance,and with "Kid" it's the humor and action.
Athena

Post by Athena »

I'm also a bit worried about this trend. Most of the blogs I find or people who do videos about books on YouTube, are reading YA (only), usually the paranormal kind. I've read some YA books and they were good, but there's so much more out there. YA isn't my favourite genre and while those books I read are good, I'd love to see more content about other genres.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”