Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Thorley
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thorley.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Thorley »

I have been married to my husband for 6 years now and he doesnt read. It drives me nuts that I cant talk about books with him. He gets mad when I just want to read instead of watching tv with him.
Paulcouzz
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulcouzz.html

Post by Paulcouzz »

I defintely could date someone that doesn't read. They would just be on a different level than me. Just because they don't read doesn't mean they are any less or more smarter either. They could have a different way of looking at and interpreting things.

Reading is not all I'm interested in. I also am into fitness, watching movies, music, concerts, going out to eat, etc.

Reading is just something I'm good at and which I enjoy doing.

So I could definitely date someone who doesn't read and it wouldn't be a problem.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I am married to someone who isn't a reader. He jokes that his favorite book is "Matilda" because he read it in middle school. He is a TV person and I am completely the opposite. It can be difficult at times because he sees us spending quality time together as watching TV before bed where I see reading together as more quality time. I am not going to lie, I wish he was a reader like me, because I feel that we would could meet each other on a different level and I find so much pleasure in talking about books, but we have many other hobbies that we do together that connect us. Like someone said, everyone has different hobbies, likes and dislikes. Just need to find that common ground.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
jlarmstr

Post by jlarmstr »

I am currently dating a "non-reader". His version of relaxing is playing video games and watching television. My idea of relaxing is curling up with a good book. We can both be on the couch at the same time relaxing and we both consider it spending time together. Win-win.
Pax

Post by Pax »

My wife wasn't a reader when we met, now, 26 years later, she reads every bit as much as I do. Although she does not seek out new authors on her own but rather waits for me to share them with her. I think, if you don't grow up reading, the whole process of choosing new authors can be daunting.
Fiction gives us a second chance at the things that life denies us.
~Paul Theroux
Yoshimaster55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoshimaster55.html

Post by Yoshimaster55 »

My husband doesn't read very much. I've been trying to encourage him to read more since we've been married (now 6 years) but I haven't seen much improvement! However, he still encourages our daughter to read.
Apollo
Currently Reading: V.
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Apollo »

Honestly, my girlfriend and I don't really discuss what we're each reading very often, so I feel like if one of us didn't read it wouldn't really be that big of a deal.
Book_J
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-j.html

Post by Book_J »

Yes, I could and I have. Didn't work out.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

I actively seek out people that i have little to no common hobbies or shared interests. It forces me to indulge in things I don't know that much about. My husband and I are completely opposite of each other. Where he likes sunshine and the ocean, I like rain and forest areas. Where he enjoys Italian sodas and walking on the piers, I like Starbucks and sitting in oversized chairs for long periods of time. Where I read daily and literature almost defines my life, he is a hardcore gamer who has never, even in school, ever read an entire book all the way through.

He recognizes and respects the art forms I give myself over to, and I do the same for him. There truly are some beautiful video games out there (plus I'm a huge tech groupie and love it when a guy can talk computer to me lol) so it works for us.

Something we do come together on, though, are graphic novels. We are able to share that, even if I'm not fully immersed in his world and he's not in mine. At the end of the day, we didn't marry each other because we had so much in common. We probably work so well because of our differences and because of how exactly opposite we are. So, yes, to answer this posts question: I could definitely date someone who doesn't read lol.
batkinson6490
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone Illustrated Edition
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-batkinson6490.html
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by batkinson6490 »

My hubby doesn't read. If he does, it is a car magazine or something of the like. He claims he does not have an active enough imagination to read a book because he can't picture things in his head like I explained to him that I do. We have other hobbies that we do together so it doesn't bother me one bit.
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times when one only remembers to turn on the light."
Latest Review: "High Hopes" by Sue Lilley
greenzelda
Currently Reading: Wolf Hall
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenzelda.html

Post by greenzelda »

I would like to think that I could move past it... But I don't think I could.
Anyone who wasn't able to fully appreciate the amount of enrichment reading brings to a life would be far too alien a person for me to even remotely form a romantic connection with.

I know that's a bit pretentious.. But I really mean it!
Books are amazing! :D
Pax

Post by Pax »

batkinson6490 wrote:My hubby doesn't read. If he does, it is a car magazine or something of the like. He claims he does not have an active enough imagination to read a book because he can't picture things in his head like I explained to him that I do. We have other hobbies that we do together so it doesn't bother me one bit.
My brother was that way until I gave him an easy to read novel about the Vietnam war (or dad was there for four years), it was something that really interested him so he moved on to historical fiction and now really enjoys reading, although he doesn't indulge often because he games and enjoys TV quite a bit.
Fiction gives us a second chance at the things that life denies us.
~Paul Theroux
Keish2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keish2.html

Post by Keish2 »

I think I could
AF_wife1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-af-wife1.html

Post by AF_wife1 »

I'm actually married to someone who hates reading. Luckily my love for reading has carried on through my kids. He doesnt understand the feeling of getting a new book. He'd rather I get rid of all of them.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html

Post by P_hernandez »

That is so sad! Don't get rid of them!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”