Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gizemkuzu
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gizemkuzu.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Gizemkuzu »

I did actually but it didn't work. I use to think that if he's smart and he thinks then doesn't have to read books for to be my boyfriend. But I realise that if someone does think and if s/he is smart, then probably s/he already loves to read. So, no I wouldn't date anyone who does not read. Not anymore.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I wonder if it is more of a challenge for a non reader dating a reader or vice versa?
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ladybug31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladybug31.html

Post by ladybug31 »

I've always had a problem with that. My last relationship was with a guy who didn't read and usually didn't like to. He indulged me by reading whatever I recommended but he didn't like the thicker books or the more difficult books. I adore the book Love in the Time of Cholera and he couldn't get past the first three pages. My two relationships previous were with a couple of bibliophiles so that was a shock and didn't end well.
indiastreets20

Post by indiastreets20 »

My boyfriend does not read at all. He hates it. But he is very informed and knowledgeable so we still have in depth conversations about what I read.
mra2014
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mra2014.html

Post by mra2014 »

Probably. Although it would be a consideration, there are many other important traits that attract people to one another.
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

Funny but my husband of 34 years did not like to read. We had a very happy relationship but he did not partake in my love for books. I don't know why I fell for him - that thing about opposites attracting I guess.
mashamashamasha

Post by mashamashamasha »

uh, probably, especially if they were passionate about something else, or had other redeeming characteristics, like a great personality or a lot of money that they want to give me.

my fiance isn't a huge reader and it's not an issue. sometimes he will read books i recommend, but frankly, i don't feel that we need a stimulating discussion on a novel if we can have a stimulating discussion in general.
Nitatsu7
Favorite Author: Robin McKinley
Favorite Book: Gai-jin by James Clavell
Currently Reading: Deerskin by Robin McKinley
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 6333

Post by Nitatsu7 »

I had to put my two cents in here.

I write and read a lot and the Husband, well, he does neither. The man encourages me to write and he finds it absolutely sexy when I snuggle up in a corner of the house or in bed and read. Most of the time I swear he gets jealous over the book and starts hiding it though. But I suppose my answer to this is YES and still happily married 7.5 years later ^_^
Brenda1721

Post by Brenda1721 »

Honestly,

I don't think that I will again date someone that does not read. You know why because reading is so important to me so I think that the fifth most important person in my life should have at least that same interest in me. I have dated plenty of guys that don't read and it's fairly boring...I can relive my highschool days and have book club again with that special someone.
Kylarae1210

Post by Kylarae1210 »

Yes, as long as they have their own hobbies to occupy their time while I spend hours finishing novels because I can't put them down.
fashionbythebook
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fashionbythebook.html

Post by fashionbythebook »

I don't think so. They need to have read a least a few books so we can talk about them.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

rssllue wrote:I wonder if it is more of a challenge for a non reader dating a reader or vice versa?
Great question! We never think about how our friends and family feel about reading taking up so much of our time. They must feel abandoned at times i'm sure. I try to make it a habit to pay attention to my family in between reads. Although, I don't really have a choice because someone is always trying to distract me from my reading.

It does make it easier though when a spouse or mate read because everyone is then in their own world and no one feels left out or abandoned. When your partner doesn't read and just sits or lie there watching you read it really bites.(Sorry I was venting) :roll:
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
jadecowan

Post by jadecowan »

i could never date someone that did not read. I like to sit and read a lot and if the other person finds it stupid or dumb then they obviously dont know what entertainment or knowledge is.
Vanessa_J25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-j25.html

Post by Vanessa_J25 »

yikes! i would like to say that yes i could, i mean i have plenty of things to talk about with one of my brothers who doesn't really read (he has a hard time concentrating on a book unless it really captures his attention, which so far hasn't really happened except with the artemis fowl series. unfortunately , i only have the first book) but yeah, i don't think i could either. same reason that you stated, that he wouldn't be able to recommend any books or that you can't recommend books to him. or that we wouldn't be able to discuss about books.
jayclark1307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jayclark1307.html

Post by jayclark1307 »

As a lover of books, I would probably say no, I wouldn't date someone who doesn't read. But if my boyfriend doesn't really read, I can't say anything. If he only reads something if he has to, I think that would be fine. At least we know he knows how to read, but if he made fun of the books that I read... well, lets not talk about that.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”