Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Hsstacie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsstacie.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Hsstacie »

I cannot!!! My ex wasn't a huge reader and because of it when I wanted to read he would be watching tv or things like that which made it hard to read.
SatanClaus

Post by SatanClaus »

As long as they respect my passion for books, I won't mind if they don't read.
iggabiggawokwok76
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by iggabiggawokwok76 »

That would be hard.
haylohardy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haylohardy.html

Post by haylohardy »

I am not sure on this, I read ALOT! If the person I was dating did not read at all he would have to be ok with my nose in a book or my kindle. If they were a reader it would be great to see what types of books they read or if we could read some of the same. In conclusion... Not sure if I could really "date" someone that does not like reading lol ?
marymargarete
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marymargarete.html

Post by marymargarete »

I think I could date someone who didn't read as long as they respected my love of reading. However, I think that if they did read a lot I would be immensely more attracted to them. My current boyfriend has a ton of books in his room and it really helped me understand who he is based on the books he owned.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

marymargarete wrote:I think I could date someone who didn't read as long as they respected my love of reading. However, I think that if they did read a lot I would be immensely more attracted to them. My current boyfriend has a ton of books in his room and it really helped me understand who he is based on the books he owned.
That is a fantastic point :D

You can learn a lot about a person by what they read/watch/listen to :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Monalisa87

Post by Monalisa87 »

Yes, the person I am currently in a relationship with enjoys only once in a while, but hardly. I've thought of creative ways to get them to read the same book as me so we could have something else to talk about other than the norm. I truely believe that there are people who don't know they actually enjoy reading. She's all for it so I'm actually currently searching for a good book we could read separately and be able to discuss it. So to answer your question, yes; but maybe soon I'll be dating a new reader. If she ends up enjoying it that is.
Gypsy_soul77
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gypsy-soul77.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Gypsy_soul77 »

Yes, I could. My fiancé doesn't like to read at all & tells me all the time in a joking manner that he would fall asleep within the first paragraph. Ha!
Jltimmons
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jltimmons.html

Post by Jltimmons »

I married one! Ha! It really doesn't bother me because he doesn't care that I read. He just knows when I get really engrossed in a book I can't put it down so he jokes that he will see me in a few days :)
Stefanus Kristian
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stefanus-kristian.html

Post by Stefanus Kristian »

I don't know about dating, but in general my relationship with my friends and family members made me as "strange" or "alien" person, either I know too much or I bluff too much.
For me, the books really are the windows of the world, I learned many things from it. When I talk to someone who doesn't like to read the books, it makes me feel superior, or rather "Why he don't know about that simple thing?". Anyway it also true that each time I found 'new' knowledge from the books, I felt that my knowledge was nothing in comparable.
SarahMackmin
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera

Post by SarahMackmin »

Definitely! I am!
Reading is my escapism and my hobby but my partner is a musician - I think the variety is a rich part of us.
megankilbey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megankilbey.html

Post by megankilbey »

My current boyfriend doesn't read! However, he completely understand that I do, he's made a mental note of my favourite authors and picks me up their books, or any others he thinks I like, if he sees them! He's also got used to me not replying to him for a few hours, to return with a text saying 'sorry I was reading!'. However, I've dated someone in the past who thought reading was pointless, and lets just say that relationship didn't last very long!
MarchMan314
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marchman314.html

Post by MarchMan314 »

I'm not dating anyone, but I don't think it would be hard to date someone who doesn't read. That would mean that I would be more dedicated to my books than the person I would potentially love, and I would definitely drop the book I'm reading at the moment in order to be with the one I love. I mean, it's not a question of morals. Why do we base our assumptions that a person will be perfect for us based on their love (or hatred) for reading? I would have to be rather shallow. I thought love was based on a person's whole, not a few aspects.
HarneetB
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5840">The Princess Bride</a>
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harneetb.html
Latest Review: "Dodged Bullets" by Lynn Sutton

Post by HarneetB »

I think I can totally date someone who doesn't read, as long as they're not judgmental and condescending. I think there should be opposite interests in relationships, it gives each other opportunities to explore your partners interests and you may actually even enjoy yourself. I would like to find someone who does read but at the end of the day, if they respect me and give reading a chance I think it's fine.
Latest Review: "Dodged Bullets" by Lynn Sutton
Thyashi

Post by Thyashi »

I think I could. It would be frustrating at times because you want to discuss a book with them, but they couldn't really understand your feelings towards it but there are other things to talk about that you and they could relate on.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”