Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
11-22-63sk
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-11-22-63sk.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by 11-22-63sk »

Probably not. It depends on the kind of person they are.
fcookjones5

Post by fcookjones5 »

No! Enough said.
dreamrei
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamrei.html

Post by dreamrei »

It may sound kind of biased to those that don't read but I am one who can't connect with someone who doesn't read. I just can't. And I've never been able to understand people who've only said that they only read when they are required to do so. It's never made any sense to me at all.
Archie1791
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archie1791.html

Post by Archie1791 »

Actually, i am dating someone who doesn't read and doesn't like to watch movies and i can't discuss anything about books with him. Sometimes it upsets me when i am so engrossed in book or crazy about a movie and i want to discuss about it but he has no idea about these things but still we have plenty to talk. Its not even that bad.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

It is difficult to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't read. If you can have a common interest or book to discuss that can help your relationship grow. There is nothing worse than going out with someone whom you think is attractive and nice and then sitting there with nothing to talk about.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

I am married to someone who doesn't read anything but the paper and mostly he focuses on the sports section. The one thing we do have is a respect for each others addiction. I am very happy to read while he is watching a game. He understands the money I spend on books (mostly my e-reader) and I understand the money he spends on satellite TV to get all of his games. As we have children, and other interests that we share, we do have other things to talk about. One of our daughters is a book worm, and I have other family members that I can discuss books with.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

Never. The relationship would be doomed before it started.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

They did used to say that reading is fundamental, but I am not sure they meant to build a relationship on when they said it. ;)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Carlton Carr
Favorite Author: Julia Cameron
Favorite Book: Witness To The Fire - Linda Leonard
Currently Reading: Writing Down Your Soul - Janet Conner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlton-carr.html
fav_author_id: 13182

Post by Carlton Carr »

NEVER AGAIN! My ex partner never read anything, not even the instructions on how to assemble a new item. The house was full of badly constructed objects and after the first year of our nineteen year relationships it was difficult to find something to talk about. Reading improves any conversation even those that have nothing to do with books.
Let others live in black and white; you must live in Technicolor...make your reader see the blood at the heart of the ruby. Rita Mae Brown
crc3thebest

Post by crc3thebest »

There is no way I could date someone who could not read. Everyone of our conversations would begin like "What are you taliking about?". The whole relationship would be too annoyingly repetitive! I would discuss what a nostalgic book I am reading and here the crickets in the background, no response. Most relationships last off of love for the same hobbies and ideas. Therefore, I could never get into a relationship with someone who is totally the opposite.
Jeswif1s

Post by Jeswif1s »

I could date a person who doesn't read as long as they accept that I love to read and they don't get in the way of my reading. I mean sure it would be totally awesome to discuss books with my partner but as long as I can still have my reading time I'm happy :)
alexandrakay87
Currently Reading: Short Shorts
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by alexandrakay87 »

I am an avid reader and a full-time writer, but my fiancee does not read at all. He is a "gamer", like on XBox and what not. I find that it actually works out really well. Sure sometimes it would be nice to be in bed, side-by-side, each reading our own books, but I've had that before and it can be distracting. Now, I read while he's playing his games and I have the whole bed to myself to get comfortable and really lose myself in the book. It's great. I wouldn't want it any other way. And he still listens and has discussions with me over the book I'm reading, just as I do over his "live stream" of games, even though I don't play them. We take interest in each other's interests without expecting the other to take part.
bluemelodious

Post by bluemelodious »

My husband doesn't read books at all. He simply doesn't have the patience. So yes, I did date a non reader and I actually married the Guy. Shocker! LOL. My husband IS my favorite book. He's my juicy romance novel that has no last page. Simply wonderful. :)
CapeBretonBookLover
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Green Hell by Steve Milloy
Currently Reading: Dreamcatcher by Stephen King

Post by CapeBretonBookLover »

I don't date in general, but it made me so mad when one of my friends said, "I don't read books, books are boring. The last book I read was Goodnight Moon in grade 2".

Many kids don't read these days either, their parents just put them in front of My Little Pony on the television and expect them to learn about life. It's sad.
romance-reader

Post by romance-reader »

Yes I could but I do prefer being in a relationship with someone that does read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”