Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Krbustillos
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krbustillos.html

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Krbustillos »

I laughed out loud when I saw this post topic! I thought to myself "Oh man I have to read this!" My boyfriend doesn't like to read books but he loves magazines; car magazines to be exact. It is a great comprise because often we go to Barnes & Noble, I grab a book, he a magazine and we can spend almost all day there! It's really wonderful. I remember when we first starting dating for our first Christmas together he surprised me with a shopping spree to B&N. Lets just say I was a kid in a candy store! :D
sdg_1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdg-1.html

Post by sdg_1 »

I love reading and getting lost in a good booo. However, my boyfriend does not and its never been a problem. I kind of like it being my own thing while he has his things that he gets lost in. ☺️
Aepar91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aepar91.html

Post by Aepar91 »

I am right now and it is a lot more difficult than I would've thought, however not a deal breaker. It is frustrating to have someone breathing down ur neck as ur browsing through the bookstore and he doesn't always understand why I'd rather read than shower him with my full attention all the time, but for the most part we make it work. He doesn't say anything about my spending habits on books and I don't say anything about his various hobbies
mmsv010929

Post by mmsv010929 »

My fiance is actually part of my inspiration to get back into reading. We're both university students so have had significant required reading to do over the past four years. He's recently started reading novels and I really miss that! He's going to be going on to Graduate studies and I will be going into the workforce, so I am going to need to have something to do with my time!
farnazrhm

Post by farnazrhm »

In my opinion dating is not about books i mean it's cool being with a person who like's things you like but it couldn't be such a big deal for me in this case.
Sarita Everson
Currently Reading: Lover Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarita-everson.html

Post by Sarita Everson »

My husband do not read except car magazines. I read a lot but he never complains. When we go to the book store he usually take the my 5 year old somewhere else and then meet me when I'm done. He also thinks it is hilarious when I laugh or cry out loud.
Alexavier-Taiga
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: Struck By Lightning by Chris Colfer
Currently Reading: reading five books and they wont fit
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexavier-taiga.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Alexavier-Taiga »

Not many of my FRIENDS read, let alone my boyfriend! That's why I joined this, so that I could talk to people who share my love of books. My boyfriend has read Harry Potter (what we bonded over when we met) ad I know he has read at least one other book, but he never says anything like "this new book I'm reading..." Or "I read this book.." So I really have no idea how much he actually reads.
So many books to read, so little time..
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

I don't think I could. (But I never say never.)
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I would.

It's not like we're going to be reading on our date. Would that be a good date? It'll be cute but yes, I still would.
astoldbysiri

Post by astoldbysiri »

For me, it would not be a prerequisite that the other must be a book-lover as well. They may not share your enthusiasm for a great novel or spending hours in a bookstore, but I believe there are more important qualities to look out for in a long-term partner. As long as my partner respects my hobby :)
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

Honestly I don't think that any of the men that I have dated really read. Two of them were more visual learners and would always want to watch the news of the History Channel which can lead to stimulating conversation as well.
TibbyK
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tibbyk.html

Post by TibbyK »

I've already been in that situation, and it did not happen, mainly because of me. So I think it's safe to say no, I could not.
Tavia134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavia134.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Tavia134 »

I don't think that I could.
tlynn1107

Post by tlynn1107 »

That's tough... I'm not sure I could unless they were pretty intelligent in other ways that could challenge me.
MrsBoshoff1907
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsboshoff1907.html

Post by MrsBoshoff1907 »

I think it's possible. Normally couples have some form of common interest, that doesn't mean that the relationship is doomed. You might like reading while he had other hobbies like fishing or hiking, not everybody is programmed in the same way. :lol:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”